migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting....for U.S. posters, take a look at what big pharma pays docs

+8
HeelerLady
Mini
pen
Anna's Mom
Paradox
lesherb
dawn.binks
Brenda
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Interesting....for U.S. posters, take a look at what big pharma pays docs - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting....for U.S. posters, take a look at what big pharma pays docs

Post  pen Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Wow "Mini,"
What part of the country are you in? Yes you do seem to be having a better experience than my own for sure.
I do think, as we hear of the post code lottery, location can make a difference.

I have a friend in the North East, she has Parkinsons.
The parkinsons support is excellent, but she recently had some other semi connected problems and has not been treated well.

My niece is a nurse in Sheffield. She says it is much better there than the set up at home. West Lancs.

So well done for falling on your feet. If you can have an endless supply of Imigran, lucky you.
Unusual here because all we usually get told is MOH.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

pen

Back to top Go down

Interesting....for U.S. posters, take a look at what big pharma pays docs - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting....for U.S. posters, take a look at what big pharma pays docs

Post  estre004 Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:47 am

Agree with Heelerlady 100%. I need to speak up for those of us who are toally against the "new health reform". What a joke that it is gonig to be better. I am only speaking for myself so anyone else can chirp in if they want. In the state I live the health care is top notch. The only people that would benefit from the new health care system are the working poor who do not have insurance. Rest of us already have great health care, including the very poor. I agree something should be in place for those who aren't covered but not socialized medicine.

I go to the best doctors (when and where I want). I mean the same day I call if I choose to. I have NEVER had to wait. The doctors here cannot overprescribe because they passed a law where it is all documented and a pharmacist would catch it. I can get whatever medications I need and do not feel overly medicated. I'm the one putting this stuff in my body, not my doctor. He is a tool, not a solution. It is my body, not his. I do my own research and run it by him and we work together. I can sum it up with the fact that 99% of my migraines are aborted successfully. If it wasn't for the drugs and our excellent health care system, I would be in the same boat as a lot of you. I can't even imagine it.

And MOH ? I'm not convinced it exists. And if it does for some people, you should be able to take something everyday if need be and have a life instead of worrying about when to take them because you don't have enough and being miserable the majority of your life. Makes sense to me.

This might sound argumental but I just want to stick up for the US. The change is not going to be good.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 am

An interesting discussion:

http://braintalkcommunities.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94137
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks Anna's mom. It is a big concern.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Interesting....for U.S. posters, take a look at what big pharma pays docs - Page 2 Empty Spam

Post  Mini Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:10 am

There is a spammer: pn3meow89, right above - I have tried to report it - but I am not sure I did it in a correct way, not familiar with the system.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 am

Dont worry Mini he has been reported. Low life cant even be bothered to write anything original, just copying posts...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:13 am

Of course in the UK, we do have choice and can go private, but this means we pay twice.
Who wants to do that.....

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 am

Many people get private insurance through their company, as part of emplyoment contract, many people get it becasue BUPA "is there" and it makes them feel "more secure", as money is no issue.
But for exmaple my friend, who has private insurance, and suffers from migraine as well, was in excatly the same ward of a teaching hospital that I went to, only a month before, as a NHS patient (only she had a single room). She also had the same neuro to treat her, but she paid to see him more often as she liked to chat to him and see him quickly. Otherwise there was no difference in medical treatment whatsover - we often compare notes.

I personally took private insurance as a little joke to start with, as an incentive to stop smoking some years ago when I put money saved on cigarettes, into BUPA membership. Never needed to use it, it was getting more expensive too with each year passing, so I stopped it.

You also mention that you cannot get prescription for enough triptans from you doctor, but you no longer need a prescritption to be able to buy it over the counter, so if you need more then you doctor is prepared to prescribe, you can always buy it yourself. Yes, I do know that your prescribed medicines are free, and that you might not want to have to spend your money to have to buy it yourself, I understand that - it is not easy if you are not working. I was also curious what it is like in US in this respect: do you get your medicines free of charge if you doctor prescribes it, or do you need to pay for it yourself.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:43 am

Hi Mini,

My point is, if we go private, regardless of where the money comes from. We pay twice.
We pay heavily in taxation for NHS. It is paid for whether we use it or not.
We subsidise people, not just who couldnt afford to go private, but those who abuse the system.
Those who book appointments with their GP and dont bother to cancel....bet they would if they had to pay...
Those who get free prescriptions and flush the drugs down the toilet....again, they wouldnt if they had to pay....
So although we have choice, we still pay twice.

Sorry I thought you were in the UK. We do pay for prescriptions. The have not long gone up in price again.
The one I use is not available OTC, you can only get Imigran, and I would not buy on the internet so prescription is the only way.
I have enough, especially given the warnings about MOH. I try to not take them all each month. I could easily take a Triptan every day.
They deal with my Myofascial pain as well, but that is because, as the neuro explained, they effect the same nerves in the head.

BUT, look at all the warnings out there Mini. You have been on the thread about what causes the MOH in drugs.
I dont have MOH, but I dont want it either. So I try to keep to the same up to 12 a month.
My neuro is happy with that. Says no problem at all unless consistent use of more. (at least 3 months at 15 and above- Never done that.)

Unless something comes along soon, for me I can see the day when I just have to accept that I might get MOH because I will need a daily Triptan. I just keep hoping something else will work for me, and soon.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:27 am

Mini,

Here in the States, we still pay for medications. Depending on the insurance and the drug, our copays can be a few dollars but if the med isn't covered by insurance, we pay out of pocket for it. Here triptans are still by Rx only so we can only get what a doctor/insurance company is willing to prescribe/pay for.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:59 am

Yes, we pay a co-pay if we have insurance which for me is only around $6.00. For a new drug coming out the most I would ever have to pay
is $25. So, basically all I pay for is a $10 co-pay for doctor (only pay once if you come back for same reason again) and very little for prescriptions. Everything else is covered 100%. If we Got Universal Health Care, our taxes would sky-rocket and they are high enough as it is.
We would basically be paying for other people (that don't work and pay taxes) on top of ourselves. That doesn't sit well with a lot of us. It seems the only people that are for it are the poor and the very rich. Those of us in the middle are the ones that will be screwed. And right now I can get into see anybody the same day if need be. I can't imagine waiting weeks to see someone. Also, only a few minute wait in the waiting room. You are suppose to report if your wait is any longer than 15 minutes. So, I wouldn't trade what "I" have for anything.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2