migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not sure who to turn to!

+4
Paradox
dawn.binks
sherri b
fedup27
8 posters

Go down

Not sure who to turn to! Empty Not sure who to turn to!

Post  fedup27 Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:04 pm

I am a almost daily migraine sufferer. I have seen numerous doctors and tried just about evetything in the book! In all of my research, those that have gotten relief have found a doctor that will listen to them and work with them. They have had to be put on stronger narcotic medications, which I now use stadol NS, but have been on it for a very long time, and am not getting much relief from it. I am so tired of being in pain and not being able to find a helpful doctor. I have an 8 year old daughter that I cannot do alot of things with because I am "sick" so often. I am unable to hold down a job due to the severity & frequency of my migraines. I reside in central Texas and am begging for any advise on a good doctor who will be willing to help me! Just some info on my prior medical problems, I have had 10 surgeries, including a complete hysterectomy by the time I was 21 years old. I have suffered from migraines throughout my entire teen years, but never this badly. They are continously getting worse!!! I want a somewhat normal life back, at least pain free!!! If you have any advice or know of any really great doctors, please let me know. Thanks a ton!

fedup27

Back to top Go down

Not sure who to turn to! Empty Re: Not sure who to turn to!

Post  sherri b Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:51 pm

Dear fedup,

Do you see a neurologist? That is where I would start. Do you have Imitrex or one of the other migraine meds?

My dr. won't give me narcotics, says they cause rebounds...
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Not sure who to turn to! Empty rebounds

Post  dawn.binks Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:22 am

completely agree with sherri, you need to get to see a neuro and et off the narcotics youre giving yourself the headache the next day, i used to have the rebound bad heads and try to bring up a small child then i got rid of the daily meds and got rid of the daily bad heads. good luck!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Not sure who to turn to! Empty Rebounds

Post  Paradox Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:53 am

Not every person suffers rebounds. There are some things I get rebounds and narcotics are not one. I've been on enough drug HOLIDAYS for months without even an OTC to know that it is NOT a miraculous cure for everyone to just go off drugs.

I've had these for over 30 years and have had poor, poor results with preventatives. I found a neurologist who is certified in pain management who does NOT believe in cookie cutter treatment and blanket statements that narcotics cause rebounds in all people. Narcotics give me the only relief I get.

I think it's best to state what works for YOU and not diagnose everyone with same magic wand.

I'm sorry, my Dr. Does not treat out of state patients. My state has a drug database that allows him to monitor narcotic use so he can weed out drug seekers. But it does allow him to treat those of for whom triptans and other drugs are ineffective.

Definitely, start out with a neurologist. For some people preventatives are amazingly effective. And each triptans is a little bit different so a different one might work for you.

Being on daily opioids is not the preferable answer. It does not make you pain free. It makes the pain tolerable. Hopefully a neuro can find something to make you pain free. If you already have gone that route, I apologize for lecturing to you and wish you the best in finding what you need.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Not sure who to turn to! Empty Hello

Post  fedup27 Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:23 pm

I have seen a numerous amount of neurologists, who have no clue what else to do for me. I have been on TONS of the normal medicines to treat migraines and some that they have just tried to see if it would help. I have also seen a pain management doctor who rudely closed his practice without telling any of his patients! So none of us can get any of our records, which for me is a problem, because he has tried many procedures on me as well. Unfortunately, narcotic medications are the only thing that helps, I have also taked "breaks" from any kind of pain meds to see if that would help, with no luck. I am trying to find a doctor that would be willing to treat and help me! It is truely very hard to find a doctor who either knows what they are doing, knows about migraines, or who will treat me with the medications that I need. If anyone in Texas knows of a really good doctor, I would appreciate any information that may help me! I am so worn down and exhausted with this never ending fight.
Thanks in advance for any help!

fedup27

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:26 pm

It can be very frustrating.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the narcotics. I also am one who believes not everything results in rebound. It's a very individual reaction.

I hope you can find a neurologist who can work with you.

One tip: please consider breaking your posts into several paragraphs, it's much easier for us to read. Thanks.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Have you tried the Texas Womens clinic if you are in Texas? Dr Andrew Jones plan is working very well for me and my situation was as bad as yours with headaches every day. He is a Gyn who advertises 80% success for women with migraines. It sounded too good to be true but my life is definitely better. I am down to only 1-2 headaches per month i feel like I have my life back Worth looking in to.

www.migraine-headaches-information.com

Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:28 am

Migrainegirl,

So happy for you, that is a significant inmprovement. I think I need to find a good OBGYN here it Western Pa. I have been told my migrianes are hormonal, and they will stop when menapause stops,

I was thinking of doing the saliva testing and then the compounding of Progestrine and Estrogen. I am currrently on Prempro, but I don't think it's the right mix for me. Guess I need to research and find a good dr. who will agree with the saliva testing.......

Glad you found some relief!

sherri b
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:31 am

I sent you a private message, Fedup.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Not sure who to turn to! Empty Thanks

Post  fedup27 Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks to all of those that have offered advise and help!

I truely appreciate it!!!

fedup27

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Sherri - I agree with paradox. I have never had rebounds from narcotics, and they are a great resort when othe things aren't working.
Also, menopause isn't a solution as many will tell you on this forum. Mine didn't even start until perimenopause and then got 4 times worse after
menopause. Everyone is different though. I hope you get relief!!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I hope that you are able to find a good doctor and find some relief.

I agree that narcotics don't always give you rebounds. Maybe for some people, but not everyone. One needs to account for the difference in the way ones body metabolizes medication.

ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down