migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

topamax troubles

5 posters

Go down

topamax troubles Empty topamax troubles

Post  lentils Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:19 pm

I've had a spike in migraines in the last two months and after consulting with my gp I increased the topamax dosage by 25 mgs per day. I think topamax messes with my emotions, sometimes I seem weepy and other times quick to anger. I just got into a nasty argument with my daughter. Maybe it was justified, dunno. Maybe topamax keeps me from being a doormat! I think that emotional lability is a side effect. I know it will wear off in a week or two, along with the other annoying side effects. If it's not one thing, it's another. Evil or Very Mad

lentils

Back to top Go down

topamax troubles Empty Re: topamax troubles

Post  Paradox Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Lentils,

I'm going to PM you.

Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Well, Topamax sure does have a notoriety for being hard on our mood but also it is used as mood stabilizer, so go figure..

However, are you sure the latest spike in your HAs wasn't due to other factors, like hormones, sinus, perhaps?
I have those spikes, too, while on T but they are usually contributed to other factors and usually pass on their own, or, if the case is say sinus, antibiotics does help.

What dose are you on right now? If am not mistaken, supposedly the best for M is between 100mg-200mg.
I am on 125mg right now, I started very slowly, really slowly, and like you I've observed I did became tad more aggressive, but at the same time strangely my mood did leveled - I am less weepy and emotional than I was before.

Perhaps in two to three weeks you'll get used to the usual side effects of the T and once they stop you will enjoy HA free life once again.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:29 am

I will also send you a private message.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 am

Hi Lentils

I had a horrible summer. In August alone I had spiked to 24 migraines and was miserable. My doctor increased topamax from 100mg to 150mg and right away the severity of migraines decreased. I have my life back and so far in September I've only had 6 mild ones.

Emotionally speaking, I am already on antidepressants because that is a seperate issue for me. Topamax did not make much of an issue on my emotions. Maybe it's not the topamax, but rather, now that you have the monkey off your back, you found out your girdle is too tight.

This has been my experience. All the best to you.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

topamax troubles Empty topamax troubles

Post  lentils Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:32 pm

I went to see psychiatrist yesterday and he mentioned the fact that I am resistant to taking anti depressants. The reason being that every kind he's given me causes a headache. Not a migraine, but I just can't stand any type of headache. We talked about trying some of the newer anti depressants, so maybe I'll summon up enough courage to try them. Thanks for all your replies, I always feel someone is listening here.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down