migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY times article about migraines in children

4 posters

Go down

NY times article about migraines in children Empty NY times article about migraines in children

Post  lentils Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 am

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/returning-to-classrooms-and-to-severe-headaches/?src=me&ref=general&apage=3#comments

lentils

Back to top Go down

NY times article about migraines in children Empty Re: NY times article about migraines in children

Post  Cathy Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm glad they're taking a serious look at migraines in children. I had them young although they weren't diagnosed, and my daughter had them as early as third grade. I had a lot of trouble getting one teacher to believe me and she went through a lot of pain not being allowed to leave school. I had to talk with the teacher and that was enough for things to change. It's good to know the children's hospitals are treating this as a serious problem.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

NY times article about migraines in children Empty Re: NY times article about migraines in children

Post  superman123 Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:34 am

thank you,your blog so good.
i feel happy when i read it...

forex trading strategies
business telecommunications services

superman123

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 pm

I went through hell when I was a kid because the nuns at the school I attended thought I was malingering. In High School they were better but it was horrible to have migraines hit with no warning. I went to a school that was 30 miles from my home so I had to take the bus home with a migraine. It could sometimes take up to 90 minutes to get home. My mother was working to support 5 kids so I never really wanted to make her come get me.

My daughter also went through hell. From teachers who didn't believe her to a school district that was threatening me with truancy action. We finally put her in Independent Study and that was a life saver. She went from failing to A's in one semester once she could study at her pace and when she wasn't have a migraine attack. Her migraines would hit in the morning and last up to 3-4 days. She was such a trouper that she would go into school late to make the classes she could. Even with a note from her neurologist explaining her illness, the school still wanted a doctors note for EACH headache. Riiiiight, that was going to happen. So after 2 years of fighting with the district, we went Independent Study.

I'm glad to see that attention is being paid to childhood migraines. It is frustrating when you are talking to a wall of ignorance. Even her father didn't believe that she was having attacks as often as she was. It took him several years to accept that she wasn't faking for attention. I knew exactly what was going on since I had dealt with it myself. I'm so glad that I was able to be her advocate because I didn't have one when I was her age.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

NY times article about migraines in children Empty migraines in children

Post  lentils Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:37 am

I was a child in the '60's. My migraines were infrequent, but they were severe. I remember thinking at age 8 that I had a brain tumor because I read about someone with a brain tumor in my mom's Good Housekeeping magazine. My grandmother would put rags dipped in vinegar on my forehead and they gave me an Italian horn to wear around my neck. It supposedly warded off "maloikas"(sp?), which are headaches caused by people being jealous of you or something like that.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down