migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indomethacin

+13
pilot57
AZgirl
pen
Petzi
ajg33nyc
Cathy
Jewishmother
Paradox
TeriRobert
rileyoday
lentils
Anna's Mom
jwar
17 posters

Go down

Indomethacin Empty Indomethacin

Post  jwar Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 am

Anyone ever try it? I was prescribed it by my new neurologist this week. I took it on Tuesday and it wiped out a migraine in progress completely. I'm pretty amazed - virtually nothing has ever done that for me.

It's hard for me to believe that I have been prescribed things such as fentanyl pain patches, and no one ever though to prescribe me a simple NSAID.

Anyone have Indomethacin experiences to share?
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Indomethacin Empty Re: Indomethacin

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:48 am

I'm glad it helped you!

Anna took it daily for about nine months (about nine years ago). It caused a lot of stomach pain, but she stayed on it. She got down to about 110 pounds because she couldn't eat. I thought she was wasting away too much and asked her doctor at the time to take her off it.

But in the right person, I'm sure it can do wonders! My best to you!

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Indomethacin Empty indomethacin

Post  lentils Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 pm

I take it sometimes. I even have suppositories for when I can not take anything orally. Sometimes it works well with me, other times not so well. I'm glad to hear it is helping you.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Indomethacin Empty indomethacin

Post  rileyoday Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:52 pm

jwar, did you see on wikapedia it had indomethacin used to treat two kinds of distinct headaches. Both of them spark my intrest in trying your med. Hope you have found permanent relief.

hemicrania

Last edited by rileyoday on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a word)

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Glad it worked for you. I tried it a couple of times. Might as well swallow a breath mint. Rolling Eyes

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 am

I Love this Forum and I Love my neuro.

I was reading this post in the waiting room. The Dr. came and got me and walking back to the office I showed him the post and asked him about the drug.

He said "Let's try it". Actually he has me trying Cambia. It's different form of it that's faster acting and stronger. Cambia was just approved for use for Migraine in July of this year.

He said it should help with my back too, so I'll get a two fer. I take it PRN. Are you taking it differently?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 am

I keep indomethacin in stock for my pericarditis when it flares up........never thought to try it for my migraines - will also ask my doc about using it for migraine pain next time I see him. It works for the pericarditis - a very strong anti-inflammatory. Thanks for the idea.
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am

The side effects concern me since I'm diabetic. I think I'll ask my doc too, though, since a recent MRI of my neck showed severe spondylosis. Thanks for the info.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  ajg33nyc Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:46 am

I too have indomethicin for hermicrania continua! It helps me out alot! I was taking it as a prevent and realized i didnt need to do it so much. I now take 2 when i feel a migraine coming and it helps alot! Be careful of long term use a maor side affect is bleeding ulcers Surprised My doc had me take a stool test sut for precaution when i was taking it everyday for a couple of months and I was fine. Hope this helps!
Anthony
ajg33nyc
ajg33nyc

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 am

I have never tried that one before. Gotta give it a go ....
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:30 am

Petzi wrote:I have never tried that one before. Gotta give it a go ....

I am ruled out on several counts.....

http://xpil.medicines.org.uk/ViewPil.aspx?DocID=18095

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:33 pm

It has been my main pain relief med for about 4 years now. I have both the capsules and the suppositories. To say I love it may sound weird, but I love my indomethacin. It does not completely take the pain away, but it definately helps.

The suppositories used to knock me out, but I have built up a tolerance to their potency.

It has started to bother my stomach, sadly, so I have had to lay off indothemacin for a few weeks and give my body a rest. I use it daily. I had to give it up for 6 months a few years back while I was on Coumadin, and the replacement pain relievers were weak in comparison.

So, yes, indomethacin gets a huge thumbs up from me!
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Indomethacin Empty Indomethicin

Post  pilot57 Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:56 pm

I took Indomethicin daily for almost 1.5 years. It did help keep the chronic daily migraine pain down to a lower level, but then stopped working like everything else. But it was great while it did work.

I was very careful to always eat something though as it can tear up your stomach.

I'm so glad it is helping you!!

Ann

pilot57

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 am

I have widely used indomethacin for years as abortive for migraines.
It's the only anti-inflammatory that works for migraines.
It is a very old remedy that for years has been almost banned by neuros as it's considered a cause of rebounds.
Recently, it has been re-evaluated as it seems the only alternative to people who don't respond to triptans or ergots.
I know a bunch of people who have been to H/A centers recently and who have been prescribed only indomethacine. I was confused about it, but it seems that the lack on new treatments pushes doctors to take out from the magic hat old but working meds....

I like indomethacine as it works very quickly and well on migraines, especially in suppositories.
Unfortunately, in my case, it covers the migraine attack only for 8/12 hours but never aborts it completely. I can continue with the same attack for weeks.

Most of the migraine sufferers that I know uses a drug that here is marketed under the name of "DIFMETRE" which contains indomethacine, caffeine and anti-vomit.
It works well and gives minor side effects on the stomach.

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:42 am

I do take it PRN. It's interesting to me, because indomethacin is frequently prescribed for cluster headaches. I definitely do not get cluster headaches - my headaches are always on the back right side of my head. The location of the pain NEVER varies. But my headaches are always a clawing, boring type of pain, which is how cluster headaches are described. Apparently a lot of migraineurs have throbbing, burning pain. I wonder if indomethacin is better suited to a specific type of pain.

Anyway, I am thrilled to have found this drug. I also started lamictal last week - an anti-seizure drug that has been shown specifically to help migraine with aura. I was on it once before for PTSD and I didn't have a lot of headaches back then on it, so I'm really hoping it helps me again. I had 4 days of nasty headaches when I started last week (but they weren't migraines) due to an adjustment to the med I think. The indomethacin didn't touch those headaches, but neither did anything else. I haven't had a migraine since I started, but am really curious to see if the indomethacin will continue to knock them out.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 am

Congratulations on finding something that actually works! flower queen What a Face
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Indomethacin Empty how long did it take?

Post  greent Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I just started indomythecin two days ago and am waiting to see if it will work- I've had daily chronic headache on my left side for over a year. How long did it take for it to kick in for people? Should I give up on it already or give it a week? I'm about to cut my head off, I've tried everything.

greent

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 am

I had an awful reaction to it...caused the worst stomach pain of my life and inflamed my liver. Needless to say I can't take that anymore.

I am thrilled for you that it worked on your migraine. I truly hope it continues to keep working for you in the future.

Dawn
Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum