migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you do with medications that don't work?

+8
WitsEnd
moominamy
milo
CluelessKitty
MaryAnneLive
Almostangela
LG
AuntieBubbs
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do you do with medications that don't work? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you do with medications that don't work?

Post  milo Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Wow...I'm totally amazed that some areas still dump them into the ecosytem! Way back when I was being trained (over a decade ago) we were taught never to put them in the sewer system.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

What do you do with medications that don't work? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you do with medications that don't work?

Post  Rachel328 Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

It would be so cool to have a legal and safe drug exchange. I can't tell you how many times, and we've all been there, I shelled out mucho dinero only to take one or two pills because they didn't work. I'm currently looking at diclofenac, tramadol, clonazepam and compazine... And those are still on my night stand. Everything else I have taken and don't currently take is in my night stand just in case. In fact, I found one very old bottle of fioricet. You can tell it's bad when you can smell it.

I usually mix pills with coffee grounds. Makes messy trash.

Rachel

Rachel328

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Such an interesting discussion. Glad I thought of it Wink

Gia, I meant to make you chuckle Very Happy
In general, I do see your point. If I were to get to know someone well, online or otherwise, and know what their medical needs were, I would have no problem offering them my extra medication in a private way. But I wouldn't advertise my meds and their availability, for sure.

Amy, well said. Though I don't think anyone was suggesting that the poor, or those with lower income - of which I am one (I've been unemployed and without health insurance for almost a year now) - don't deserve new medication. I think the discussion was to suggest options, that's all. And of course, this is along the lines of wishful thinking, anyway.

Milo, yeah, there might be some differences based on the fact that you're in a different country with different rules. Esp. the gov't paying for meds and the dr. office taking them back, etc.

I think I'm more comfortable handing my meds in to my pharmacist than my dr. office anyway, to be honest, because my dr. office doesn't actually give me medicine, beyond samples. I don't think his office would even take them. I think I can ask him, though, this question when I see him at the end of the month and see what type of response I get. I'll post it here.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Once I'm sure I won't use a medication (I do keep all pain pills and other useful stuff until they expire), I mix it in with icky trash. I asked at a pharmacy once and they didn't take in extra pills. I wouldn't trust anyone if I was disposing of something someone would use to get high. I agree about not flushing them. Even if I get bad side effects I'll keep a narcotic in the house in case of an emergency. My husband knows that he needs to ask me before reaching in the cabinet, even if it is a really bad situation (so I could tell him how much to take since I have a tolerance and he doesn't). Thankfully we've only had to break into the stash a couple times (like until we could get to the doctor to treat an injury). I try to limit the amount of medications in the cabinet so I don't feel so disabled by my condition. It hurts me mentally to see lots of bottles of stuff. Besides my list I keep I have forgotten most of the meds I've tried. No kids and no people over besides very close friends so we haven't needed to lock anything up yet, although I think that is very important with any medication (not just pain pills). It is a bummer no one can re-use my meds but I see no safe way to do it besides maybe the individually wrapped stuff.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Ok, so now I know, it is an actual FELONY in the US to share, sell or otherwise transfer possession of any known pharmaceudical.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Yeah. I know..

I think its BS, especially if you are sharing it with a person who has a script for the same
drug. You can also get in a whole lot of trouble for sodomy too. Law is a funny thing, isn't it?

Follow it if you believe it and it's a moral and just thing to do. Break it if it is just g-d*mn stupid.
Razz
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2