migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surgery update

+4
sherri b
Cathy
dawn.binks
Petzi
8 posters

Go down

Surgery update Empty Surgery update

Post  Petzi Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:20 am

Hi everybody! I am back from my summer break. The headaches have not improved any further, but I am satisfied with the outcome nevertheless. In my situation any improvement is good news. In the end the NHS did reimburse me for the cost of the surgery. They took one look at my medical history and reimbursed me straight away. They didn’t pay for the travel costs tough. But hey, can’t blame them that they drew the line at forking out for 2 nights in a luxury hotel. Surgery update Icon_biggrin

Everything has healed nicely. At some point I was panicking because one eye remained droopy, but that has sorted itself out over the summer. Now my eyes look better than before surgery. They look less droopy and the brows look lifted. The whole look is one of wide awake youthfulness. Not what I was after initially, but a nice bonus. I was more concened about disfigurement, and did not expect such such a positive aestethic result. Am pleased all around.

I will be going back to see my surgeon in September to see if he can do a bit more magic with Botox. There are areas around the temples and the back of the neck I would like to attack with some more Botox. Maybe there is still potential for further migraine improvement. A battle has been won, but the war isn’t over. I shall keep fighting this.

Love

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Surgery update Empty surgery

Post  dawn.binks Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:37 am

thanks for the update, we are all following it closely!!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Surgery update Empty Re: Surgery update

Post  Cathy Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:11 am

What was the improvement you saw on the headaches? Can you give an estimate of how often you have them before the surgery as opposed to now? I know you had some other posts but I can't remember if you compared the frequently before and after surgery. Thanks.

Anything is an improvement! You are very brave to have the surgery and I'm so glad you were reimbursed at least the cost of the surgery itself. Every little bit helps.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 pm

I am down to once a week from nearly every day and totally out of control.

I was also able to reduce the dosage of the beta-blockers I am taking. I was particularly keen on that as they drained me of all my energy. In an ideal world I would have been able to stop them all together, but I prefer to be a bit dopey Surgery update Drunken_smilie instead of having to endure a migraine.

All in all I am very pleased with the outcome and hope things stay the way they are. Surgery update Icon_bounce

Love,

P
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Petzi,

How are you now? Are you still getting migraines? I am very curious because I turned down the surgery, and some days, (like this whole week) I think I should have had it done....Kicking myself now.

Sherri B!
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:30 am

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately I had no further improvement and I am stuck with one attack a week. Secretly I have been hoping for a better result - I was hoping for once a month, but I think I have to be grateful that I don't have them every day as I used to before the surgery.

Please get in touch if you decide to go for it and I can send you a PM with a couple of things to keep in mind.

P.

Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:38 am

Awe, Petzi,

So sorry. I was afraid of that for myself. I would go for it, but they want to mess with my sinus and I don't have a problem with my sinus.

I often think I blew it by not having the surgery. I was pre-approved by my hubbys insurance, but his policy is all changed now, not sure it would cover.

I wish you would have had better results, but at least you got some out of it.

Here's to hoping things get better for you, please keep me posted. flower
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Surgery update Empty Waiting for coverage

Post  sanitz Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Petzi-

My Doctor is ready to move forward with the surgery however the insurance company is not willing to pay. Would you mind sharing how you received coverage. Did you have to submit many appeals, what insurance company do you have, how long did you fight for coverage. I'm doing great with botox and would love to get the surgery but am so very frustrated by insurance issues.

sanitz

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:03 pm

I have Highmark BC/BS. I didn't have to do anything, they submitted a preauthorization and they ok'd it.

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

If you are doing good on the Botox maybe you should just go with that. I had a few dr.s advise me against such a radical surgery.

My neuro said it started out just removing the nerves at the eyebrow, now it has become so much more. My physical therapist said, we have the big muscle in the back of our head for a reason. and it's to soon to tell what if anything is going bad after having that removed.

Think about it....maybe there is a reason your insurance company won't pay....
sherri b
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 am

Hi Sanitz,
Because Petzi lives in UK, so her treatemnt was free under our NHS. We do not have to pay for our health care.

However due to the new goverenement meddling we are all terribly worried in case our health service become gradually more privitised, and we will be expected to pay for our health care. This is such a nightmare.
I hope yopu will be able to get cover for your own treatemnt soon, Sanitz.
With best wishes
Mini
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  living Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi there,
I haven't been on in a long time. I'm glad to hear you are getting improvements following surgery - but can you please explain what this surgery is? I couldn't find information about it. I love the idea of surgery because of the promise of maybe no more migraines...what did you have done?

Living

living

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Petzi is a friend of mine. I am afraid she doesnt post on this forum any more.
She got a lot of improvement from the surgery and I guess doesnt feel the need any more.

xx

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down