migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches?

5 posters

Go down

Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches? Empty Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches?

Post  mxgo Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:16 am

Should we be taking Vitamin B100 which contain niacin (100 mg) for headaches? Would not, Niacin which is a vasodilator, make our migraines worse? Maybe, I better take a Vit. B Complex without the niacin.

I take midrin as an abortive, and one of the components is a vasoconstrictor, which helps with my headaches. Therefore, the niacin would be working against us?

Comments, please.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches? Empty Re: Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches?

Post  jwar Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:21 am

If you google niacin+migraine a lot of info comes up that it has a beneficial effect. Not just random websites, but scientific studies as well.

I'm not saying I endorse it, just saying you should research around a little and see what you think.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches? Empty B vitamins

Post  lentils Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am

The only B vitamin I take is B2. B2 affects energy production in cells. I don't know if niacin has any effect on migraines, but I do know that B multi vitamins seemed to make my migraines worse.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches? Empty Re: Vitamin B100 w/Niacin for headaches?

Post  mxgo Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 pm

If you google niacin+migraine a lot of info comes up that it has a beneficial effect. Not just random websites, but scientific studies as well.

Yes, I have read the data on niacin for migraines, but the fact that it has vasodilator properties bothers me. Maybe, the other benefits of using counter act the vasodilator properties.

I just wondered, if others are using the B100 vitamins and their side effects.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:37 pm

I took 400 mg of B2 for about 5 months with no appreciable benefit that I ever saw. I do not take it now.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:42 am

Yes, I have read the data on niacin for migraines, but the fact that it has vasodilator properties bothers me.

Magnesium is also a vasodilator. I personally think there is more to the migraine story than simple vasodilation.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks, I think you are right. If it was that simple, they would have found a cure for migraines. I do need the B100, it seems to be a good vitamin for a lot of other things.

Also, I did not realize that magnesium is a vasodilator.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 am

I am confused about the word "vasodilator" and if it is a good or a bad thing. I believe that it means the widening of arteries and if that is true isn't that a good thing? I have been taking Calcium Magnesium and Zinc and haven't had a migraine in a month so I am wondering if there is a correlation or if I am really doing more harm than good..so confused especially now they say calcium supplements raise the risk of heart attacks!! Oh my what to do what to do..........

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down