migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine? Or something else?

5 posters

Go down

Migraine? Or something else? Empty Migraine? Or something else?

Post  moominamy Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 am

One of the things I find so frustrating with my migraines is that they change frequently. Sometimes dramatically, others just a small tweak here or there. So my 'usual' migraine symptoms never really stay the same.

Last night I experienced a very sudden onset migraine, and at the same time as the pain got blurred vision, nausea, dizziness and abdominal pain. As I'm 19 weeks pregnant my first worry was if this was pre-eclampsia, so I called the out of hours dr and got myself checked out. BP etc was fine, so seems it was 'just' migraine, yet again.

My aura changed considerably a couple of years ago and I was worried about detached retina, as the symptoms were the same. Got that checked, eyes fine, 'just' migraine.

Having had many hemiplegic symptoms and often residual weakness that lasts for months I naturally worry about stroke. But MRI etc are ok, so, again, 'just' migraine.

I do worry about two things because of this:-

1) That my medical records will start to look like I'm a paranoid hypochondriac or have Munchaussens or something, and drs will stop taking me seriously.

2) That one day something serious will be missed because either I or my drs will put it down to 'just' migraine.

It's a no win situation.

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Migraine? Or something else? Empty Re: Migraine? Or something else?

Post  Stillhurtin Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:39 am

I have those same fears. And not only about the doctors, but friends and family members. I am ALWAYS freaked out by new/ ever changing problems related to M, so to be cautious I seek doctors advice or go for tests. Always..."no your fine"... People MUST think I am turning into a Munchaussen person.....
SUCKS!

Just chimed in to say, I'm right with ya on this one!

Jessica
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:18 am

On Sunday Anna developed a new sensation on the top of her head that goes down into her skull. She said it feels like there is something sticking out of her brain and out the top of her head. She is pulling out her hair at night, trying to get it out. When she told her home health nurse on Tuesday, the nurse said I should call her neurosurgeon. Well, I've been reluctant to do that, and now it's Thursday.

On Tuesday night Anna had the sensation of objects pressing down beneath all her fingernails--all night long. But that sensation went away by morning. How bizarre is that?

So I'm watching for any neuro signs that are different. The things neuros ask you about--over and over again. I can't see that she is having big neuro changes. Dizziness, weakness, numbness, tingling, visual changes, troubling swallowing, trouble talking--things like that. Except she was seeing wavy lines Tuesday night (possible aura?) when usually her auras are like flashing lightbulbs.

She did have the top of her skull drilled on December 7 for the placement of an ICP monitor. She was in the hospital for three days with that procedure, and her sutures were removed ten days ago. So what changed on Sunday, and what is going on?

I just think it is any big deal, and I'm reluctant to call. But what if I'm wrong? It is hard to know what is just neuro weirdness vs. something that is serious.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:27 am

I'd call, even just to let the doc know and they can decide if it's serious or not. These are the types of neuro issues I think your doc would WANT to know about if they're smart.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:49 am

You both bring up serious enough concerns to make the call. Pregnancy trumps all concerns about it being serious or not, and the surgery so recently could have brought about changes and also warrant a call.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down