migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*Big Time Swear Word*

+4
dawn.binks
Hal
Ruth
milo
8 posters

Go down

*Big Time Swear Word* Empty *Big Time Swear Word*

Post  milo Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:31 pm

I called my GP to book an appointment today. They said she no longer worked there. I asked what her patients were doing. They said her patients could follow her or stay there at the clinic. So I asked if I could see a doctor there, and they said they didn't have any doctors taking on new patients! (I could only do the drop-in if it was something urgent)

This is sooooooo typical here in BC. No doctor is ever taking new patients. I'd be tempted to think it's me....but I know that is not the case.

So I called the new clinic. They booked me with her, but they also made it very clear that she was not there permanently. ARGH. I know so many people think the Canadian health care system is in good shape but it IS NOT! So frustrating! I have no idea what I'll do if she tells me that her next move will be farther away.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

*Big Time Swear Word* Empty Re: *Big Time Swear Word*

Post  Ruth Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 pm

It's very hard to find a doctor that is taking new patients. I'm in Calgary, Alberta, and I think my doctor is planning on retiring or moving in the near future and I've had him for years, it's a bit scarey to say the least, especially when they know your medical history. He's always been so good when I've gone there with a severe migraine, he turns the light off in the room etc., and is always willing to give me something for the pain, whether it's pills or a shot for the pain. He seems very understanding.

I hope you manage to find a good replacement soon, perhaps you should phone around and at least get put on a waiting list.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Do you guys have any Docs in private practice or are they all in clinics? I hear that the private Docs in the US are negotiating with hospitals and clinics to go to work for them due to he Obama-care that was passed recently. Won't be long and we will have that great medical care that our friends up north have.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

*Big Time Swear Word* Empty frustrating

Post  dawn.binks Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 am

very frustrating for you milo, when you find a good dr who helps you with your migraine, you just need to keep them!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:41 pm

https://www.cpsbc.ca/node/216

Hi Milo

Totally bites. The attached site is help to find a new doctor, but its a crap shoot. I've met new doctors that were not great, but just yesterday I met someone wonderful. She's an intern and not settled yet, otherwise Í'd tell you where. But maybe the change will be good for you. Keep searching. If you see the name Lovitz come up, pick her.

Angela
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:57 pm

The College of Surgeons and Physicians have NO GP's currently taking new patients in my area....and I included a very big area.

I had to do this whole search when I first moved here, and even then there were none. I scored when this new doctor popped up.

The doctors here tend to do walk-in type clinic work because it makes them more money as they have less overhead. There are literally zero family GP's taking new patients in this area. I'm really not sure what I'll do, though, I was smart and didn't close my file at my old GP's where I got treated so badly. They are over an hour away though. UGH
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:41 am

I know, it's disgusting trying to get decent medical help around here.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:01 am

I honestly wonder sometimes just how much of our medical histories our long term doctors actually have present in theri minds when we are sitting there in front of them. Most doctors have hundreds of patients - I could not remember the intricacies of my medical history if I were a doctor. I just wonder aboout that.

Our GP was three hours away so we used the walk-in clinic locally for colds and this and that. We liked one doctor who worked there and tried to go when we knew he was on duty and we could ask for him. He has since gone into private practice. I followed him and am making my my primary GP. One thing I really like about him is that he flat out says he knows nothing about migraines and can't help me there. I like honesty and I already have a neurologist and pain manager.

But I have always gotten superb medical care from walk-in clinics here in Northern California. With some pretty serious conditions too between Steve and me.

Good luck!
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:54 am

When I worked in EMS a hospital in Puyallup WA had six ER docs, four were from Canada. Almost every hospital in the county had Canadian docs. Most of us often wondered if there were any up in Canada.

My sister up in Kelona BC has the same problem. Her Canadian born husband goes to a clinic less then a mile a way. She has to travel clear to Pentiction to see a GP and it's very tough to get in.

I live 1/4 mile from where all the utilities end and the old logging roads start. But 7 miles from me is a GP clinic with six providers. If one is on vacation or sick the others fill in. Any time I call I can get in the same day. Back when I had just major medical insurance it would cost me $32 a visit and they gave me samples any time a prescription was needed.

I hope this continues but I very much fear it will not all in the name of "change" and "reform". Anyone in government that tries to say you can have your cake and eat it to is delusional.

Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:45 pm

I agree with Brent 100!!!!!! I also can get in the same day and do not have to travel more than walking distance if I choose. I fear the health "reform" is going to be going backwards for some of us.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 pm

The US Gov has an entire archive labeled "Best intentions".
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 pm

No kidding Brent. Half of their bird brain ideas I knew were a disaster before they began.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down