migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need to help a friend

5 posters

Go down

Need to help a friend Empty Need to help a friend

Post  Paradox Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:47 pm

My best friend for many many years got devastating news today. Due to a technicality in his pension that the pension office just caught (four years after he retired) he lost his pension. Overnight, pfft. Gone. (well, not completely, he can get it back if he pays them over$100,000. That won't happen, his wife had three bouts of cancer before she passed away that wiped him out financially. All he had was a modest house, his pension and social security. Even if he could sell the house it wouldn't cover what he owes the pension). He went from making 49,000 a year to 16,000. He also supports his daughter, who recently had a mastectomy, and his six year old grand daughter. I am sick for him.

He will be losing his health insurance as he can't afford the premiums anymore and is still on year away from Medicaid. He takes Effexor and has problems when he doesn't take it. What are less expensive but similar drugs to effexor? I see $4 prescriptions advertised a lot and know that anti depressants have been around forever...

I'm trying to help in any small way I can think of. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Need to help a friend Empty Re: Need to help a friend

Post  jlb Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Effexor has a program for low income people. When I didn't have insurance the free clinic that I went to applied for me and I got my meds for free. Also they are doing something right now for a discount for people who qualify. http://www.effexorxr.com/ this link had the information - it is called the $4 commitment.

I will keep your friend in my thoughts, I hope he is able to make it through this tough time.

Jessy

jlb

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Some states and provinces have government programs that will pay for psychiatric medications. It may be worth checking out if you have one.

Also, as above mentioned, most pharmaceudical companies offer family support programs with free medications.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:20 am

Charlotte,

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that I think you are a great friend. I am keeping him in my thoughts and hope that things start looking up for him very soon.

Just when you think your life can't get any worse, there is always someone else out there who is worse off than you are.

Wishing him the best!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 am

My friend just called, he spoke to someone else at the pension office who said that, no, he did not break any rules and will not lose his pension. So we are feeling hopeful but not out of the woods. He's afraid to call anyone else for clarification (that's how this whole mess started in the first place, he was calling asking a question) in case the next person looks at it differently and takes it away again. So, he's just going to sit and wait and see if his checks continue to come.

To all of you who were sending good thoughts his way, thank you.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 am

What a relief! But I think your friend is wise not to bring up another question for fear that someone else will come up with something worse again!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 pm

For those of you who pray, please ask for good things for my friend. Today he was told they have opened an "investigation" on his case. He sounded so defeated...

Our state is nearly bankrupt and it is a state run pension. Over the past years our former Governor (who is now on trial for corruption) continually raided our pension to pay for other pet projects, so it is very underfunded. It is NOT in the States best interest to find in favor of my friend.

They're not going to have to worry about paying him his pension, the stress is going to give him a heart attack. I'm not being facetious, his children (and hubby and I) are worried about his heart...

Last edited by paradox on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:38 am

I'm praying, Charlotte!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content