migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sinuses--help!

+3
Paradox
LG
xmom
7 posters

Go down

Sinuses--help! Empty Sinuses--help!

Post  xmom Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 am

What do you all take when your sinuses are acting up? I think I have a sinus infection and of course it's making my migraines extra awful. I've tried benadryl.. that hasn't helped much. What else can I take? I know I should go to the doctor.. but can't until at least tomorrow when I can have someone help with my kids.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Sinuses--help! Empty Re: Sinuses--help!

Post  LG Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:06 am

I use afrin nasal spray when my sinus pain is flaring up. Just try one spray that stuff is powerful.
Its saved me loads. Don't use it for days on end though, and like I said one spray and wait
15 minutes or so! Do not use two like it says on the back of the bottle until you wait a while, otherwise
it may end up burning your nose badly.

I love that stuff! It clears your nasal passages up and breaks the pressure down so the sinus headache
dissapears in a matter of minutes. I always have it handy! It's a life saver! I also like it because it doesn't
interfere with any of my meds and it doesn't have anything else in it other than a decongestant. (no
tylenol, so if you take vicodin for M or any other APAP meds its okay to use Very Happy )

Warning though, if you use it too frequently you can become addicted to it. Your nose gets so used to it
that it becomes forever congested, and you need to use more and more of it to unclog it. It won't
happen if you use it just for a few days though, and as directed. The stuff also lasts for hours,
so don't go back and use it again for at least 6-8 hours.

Good luck and feel better soon!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 am

My Dr. recommends rinsing the sinuses with saline solution. It's works, but is messy so I don't care for it.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:28 pm

They've made old school RX Entex PSE into OTC Mucinex D maximum strength. It's pseudoephedrine and guafenisen (sp?) which will help break things up and relieve the inflammation. I was once prescribed this 2x a day for allergic sinus issues. It's nice to not need a script, but since it's pseudoephedrine I still have to ask the pharmacist for it.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 am

Thank you! Got some nasal spray and sudafed until I can talk to my doctor.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:27 am

Hoping that you are feeling better now. Did you get and antibiotic?

I get chronic sinus infections..they do make migraines more painful. I have a steroid nasal spray and do rinses( it stings though..) I have to be on the antibiotics for weeks for it to work..the last one tried 3 different antibiotics.

Take care Sinuses--help! Icon_biggrin
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:52 am

Having the same problem, giving me awful toothache too.
My healer has just freed them a bit.
Cant take sudafed, off to steam.
Doing it every hour, it seems to be helping a bit.
I didnt even realise they were blocked. I do now.
Hope you get some relief it is all we need as miggies..
Sad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  xmom Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:36 pm

I am feeling a lot better. I *hate* sinus infections. Hate hate hate them. I didn't get antibiotics as most sinus infections are actually caused by viruses. Ended up having to take my daughter to the doctor anyway, so I didn't have a chance to call mine. But it did finally seem to subside (at least the bulk of it) after about 3 days. Still have a yucky cough, but the head pressure is gone. That is the worst.

xmom

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:08 pm

I am not sure if you are supposed rinse the sinuses with solution if you are already have an infection:
However, if you're already sick -- i.e., so thickly congested that the rinse can't get through your sinuses and come out the opposite nostril, and that congestion is green or brown -- you're out of luck. Time to call your doctor.
http://www.diylife.com/2007/11/30/cleaning-your-sinuses/

The only thing that helps me, is antibiotic. Lately my dr recommended Nasonex - it's a Rx nasal spray but I haven't got around to fill it up yet.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down