migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraine after eye exam?

+8
pen
Brenda
tecky
Paradox
MM
estre004
TeriRobert
SEB
12 posters

Go down

Migraine after eye exam? Empty Migraine after eye exam?

Post  SEB Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:43 pm

I keep meaning to ask this question and then forget, so while it's in my head here it goes. You know how when you have an eye exam they dilate (spelling?) your eyes with those drops? Well I had that done a few years ago and within an hour after that I had one of the worst migraines ever, I mean it was over the top, 10++, almost went to the ER. I swear it had to be related to those drops, and I am not a dr. (I keep forgetting to ask my neuro) but I think it makes sense as the drops have something to do with dilating the eyes. I was just curious to see if anyone else ever had that experience.

SEB

Back to top Go down

Migraine after eye exam? Empty Re: Migraine after eye exam?

Post  TeriRobert Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 pm

I have the same problem every time they do the dilated exam, but I'm sure my problem is the bright light they shine in my eyes to do the exam. Within seconds of that light hitting my eyes, I'm hurting badly. Unfortunately, I have to do those darned exams four times a year. Sad

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:17 am

I have actually been procrastinating on my eye exam which is badly needed right now for that reason. I think it is the bright lights though--not the dilation drops.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Migraine after eye exam? Empty eye exam

Post  MM Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 am

Yes, this happens to me too. I just tell them I get a migraine from the drops they use to dilate my eyes and they skip it and do something else. Not sure what it is they do instead, sorry.
MM
MM
MM

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 am

I hate going in for eye exams. It's the lights that get me every time. I get nailed with a headache whether they dilate my eyes or not. Shocked

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:40 am

I think when the eyes are dilated they allow more light to enter the eye and it irritates the optic nerves.

I need to get my eyes checked in a couple of months as my vision has changed drastically, but I'm hesitant because of the dilation and probable resulting migraine.

This year has been the worst ever for my eyes. The reflection of the sunshine on the snow is so painful. Sunglasses don't seem to be dark enough to help (and they're rated for UVA, UVB).

Becky Cool

Last edited by tecky on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:44 am

I hate the sun in the wintertime. Doesn't bother me much in the summer.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  SEB Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:04 pm

I never thought about the light being an issue...that makes sense. I called awhile ago and tried to schedule an exam without the drops and told them why, they said I had to have the drops. So I am going elsewhere. Thanks all who responded, good to know I am not crazy and there does seem to be a link!

SEB

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:22 pm

I still get a mild M after an eye exam because of the bright light. I don't have to do the dialated test anymore because my eye doctor uses the new Optamap retinal scanner. They get a better look at the eye without doing the drops. It's wonderful. I highly recommend it if you can find a place that does it.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:35 pm

For me I dont think it is the drops, it is the lights they shine in my eyes and the sheer concentration of "looking".
I have had photophobia for years.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm

oh yes an eye examination does it for me everytime, the whole combo of trying to read letters with silly looking lens and frames on your eyes, the bright lights, the puff of air they shoot at your eye for glucoma testing, the positon of your neck through out these tests, it gets me everytime.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Olee Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:08 am

Eye exams do it for me. The machine just being close to my face and having to focus so hard, starts the process. Then comes the drops and the light and it's curtains on a migraine free day.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Migraine after eye exam? Empty eyes

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi,

Yes, an eye exam will usually give me a headache too. I think it must be light related.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Migraine after eye exam? Empty migraine after eye exam

Post  Bonnie Louise Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:25 pm

I get a migraine after the eye exam because of the bright light. I get an even worse migraine during a dental cleaning because of the bright light and the angle of my neck on the headrest. I always ask for the neck pillow now. I even get a headache at the hair salon when my hair is washed. Life is not easy!

Bonnie Louise

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down