migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy)

4 posters

Go down

Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy) Empty Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy)

Post  Brent Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:19 pm

I had an interview this morning at a Resort next to the park. After the meeting we drove up to Paradise to play in the snow. It was 80 deg but a very slight breeze kept it perfectly comfortable for us.

On the way up to the visitor center and trail head we stopped at a couple falls and few other scenic spots.

Nirada Falls.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Little Tahoma.

Reflection Lake. It normally would have a perfect reflection of the mountain but is hasn't thawed out yet.

Sledding on a piece of plastic.

Sculpting a snow rabbit.

Ever since i took my camera "swimming" it has a dark smudge on the videos. I ordered a new one today.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy) Empty Re: Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy)

Post  pen Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:27 am

Brent I hate you....I want to live where you do....it is awesome......

Thanks for sharing.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy) Empty Re: Summer snowball fights and sledding at Mt Rainier. (picture heavy)

Post  VickiG Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:40 am

Just beautiful! But I disagree with Pen. I think I would be too cold to live where you live. I'm happy in my big city. But it's nice to take an escape via your pictures to the wilds of America!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:09 am

I guess it may be cold, but it gets pretty cold here too. Its the scenery and wildlife I think is so wonderful.
I am so envious.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:05 am

Oh that so makes me want to go camping. I haven't been up to the mountains in several years. I am overdue.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 pm

alli wrote:Oh that so makes me want to go camping. I haven't been up to the mountains in several years. I am overdue.

Good! That's my goal is to get us to live 100 MPH in between mig attacks if it's at all possible.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm getting there albeit slowly. I've ridden my bike to work everyday since I started at the gym. It is across the parking lot from my office so I can duck in for a quick shower before work. It's three miles each way and slightly uphill going into town so it is a good work out. Puff, Puff,Puff....

When I can do it without feeling my age, I'll be ready to hit the hiking trails again. I ache alllll over but it is a different and better (?) ache than the straight Fibro pain.

Now I just have to find someone who wants to camp with me! Very Happy

alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:13 pm

You have so many great areas around you to check out. There are more parks around you then I have here. I hope you get a chance to hit a few of them and show us some pics.

Getting up into the thin mountain air with the smell of all the old growth trees and all the alpine flowers is a type of high for me. You forget about everything.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

You are right. Mount Diablo is right in my backyard and I used to take my kids up a couple of times a year to camp. The hiking trails are really nice and a great view from the top. You can see all the way to the Sierras on a clear day.

One of my favorite places to camp is Mt Lassen. About a 4 hour drive from here. Absolutely beautiful trails and a good hike to the top. Steep and high up but if you pace yourself it's not a bad hike. You start about 8000 feet and end just over 10,400. The rangers do a tour once a week in the summer taking you through the craters and give a good talk about the eruption in 1915. It is incredibly cool. I hiked it for the first time when I was 26. My daughter hiked up when she was 5 1/2. She still hasn't forgiven me for that one!

I'm taking several days at the end of August to celebrate my b-day and two months of working out. By then I should be able to hike and take the rigors of camping out in the boonies without collapsing. There is something about being in the mountains that just centers me. I have a better perspective on life when I can spend some time just marvelling at nature.

A definite must for the next person I date is that they enjoy camping... and I mean really camping.... not a trailer, not a cabin... but a tent out away from everyone. I do like the comforts of a trailer, RV, or cabin on occasion but I prefer getting away from all that. The only real creature comforts that I MUST have are a good air mattress and a place to wash up. Not too much to ask is it?

alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 pm

I have seen Mt Lassen and the area around it looks very much like around Mt Rainier. My daughter and I will be going up to a 5000' lake tomorrow to canoe and I hope it's thawed out enough to get some paddling in. I have called the ranger station a couple times to find out the status of the lake and nobody knows. Mad

So we are going to just go and find out. We went to a lake in the park last week at the same elevation and it was 3/4 frozen still. Maybe we will end up having to thread around the open spots between the ice. That would be kinda cool.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 pm

That would be awesome! Cold as heck but how pretty!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down