migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine?

+8
ShelliB
tecky
02R96
milo
Brent
Greeneyes
Paradox
Ivy
12 posters

Go down

Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine? Empty Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine?

Post  Ivy Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 am

After 7 days in a row of migraine and several cafergot suppositories, I felt that I needed to break the cycle.

Yesterday night, I had a look in our "pharmacy drawer" and searched for ANYTHING that could help.
I found Toradol.

My GP prescribed it last year for a bad lumbar pain.
As I know that if you go the ER with a bad migraine they give you a shot of Toradol, I tried it.

In less than 10 minutes the pain had gone.

Toradol is not normally prescribed for migraine, but at the ER it's the first thing that they do for a migraine sufferer (at least here). I have never been to the ER for a mig, but I have spent several nights up there for my mom and seen migraine sufferers vomit around Sad and get a high dosage of toradol.

I have asked a few times my GP about Toradol for my migraine, but she would never prescribe it with the motivation that "it's not specific for migraine" scratch

Do I have to fake back pain for the next 10 years to get Toradol??? I would NOT use it for any attack, only to break the cycle of ergotamine during bad times like the past week....

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine? Empty Re: Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine?

Post  Paradox Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:43 am

Yes, I useToradol injections specifically for migraines. It keeps me out of the ER when I have one I just can't break.

I'm prescribed enough that I can have six injections a month. I usually only use two.

Hubby gives me the injections, I can't give them to myself.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine? Empty Re: Toradol - Anyone uses it for migraine?

Post  Greeneyes Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 am

Ivy..my husband gives me Toradol injections at home..I take 3 a week for the migraines
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:31 am

I had it a couple times from from GP's office. At best I got about 6 hours of partial relief. After six hours the effects would wear off but I still had a painful lump on my hinny. I am fortunate that my wife was able to start an IV on me and give me Inapsine and dilauded. It knocked me and the mig out.

I am glad it works for some of you. Since it's not a narcotic it should be less of a hassle to get when needed. It helps dispell the stigma of us being drug seekers also.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am

I've had this but didn't find it effective on my migraines.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 am

I haven't been to the ER in ages since I got my new neuro, but I was furious the last time I did.

I had had toradol two days in a row and for once it just wasn't breaking a week long m. I went to my local ER and they wanted to give me more Toradol. Told I had it, showed them my ampules, and they would still just give me IV Toradol! I was so po'd and yes, felt like an absolute drug seeker even though I hadn't been to the ER in over six months at that point.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Never mind the stuff can screw your stomach up within six days.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 pm

I will get a Toradol injection from my PCP if 2 Imitrex injections won't KO an thumper. I have an memo in my records that OK's it, I just have to call first. I've also received it from the ER too.

It works for me when nothing else will.
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:25 am

Toradol injections are one of the few things that work for me when nothing will break a particularly long, high-pain-level spell. I've gotten them from my PA and at the ER. I have a written order from my PA so that I can received them at the ER.

Currently I have a prescription for ketorolac (generic toradol) tablets, which don't always work quite as well as the injections, but do help me. I'm limited to 3 pills a day/3 days a week, and I often reach the limit. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 am

I get toradol injections either at my clinic or ER. It doesn't work by itself, sometimes it works with just IV fluids and oxygen. Most times I also need demoral and visteral with it. The combo that works for me is 6O tordadol, 75 demoral, and 25 visteral all IM.
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:11 am

Shelli,
you mean 60 mg of Toradol???
I take 10 mg and that's enough to knock me down and make me sleep for hours
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:39 am

When I have had to go to the ER, like many of you, this is the first drug that they want to give me. I always tell them it does not work for me, but they give it to me anyway.

When the Dr. comes back to check on me and wants to know if my migraine is better, of course, I tell him/her, NO. They will then go and get the big guns that should have been given the first time and like always, they work.

Don't know what it is about toradol and my body, but it doesn't like me, nor do I like it. Smile

Hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  ShelliB Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 am

Ivy wrote:Shelli,
you mean 60 mg of Toradol???
I take 10 mg and that's enough to knock me down and make me sleep for hours

I'm not sure if it's mg or cc's or what?? They just come at me with a big needle and say here's 60 Toradol. Question All I care is that they stick me fast Smile
ShelliB
ShelliB

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:08 pm

I've had torodol injections at Urgent Care and found it doesn't work very well for me, either. I haven't been to the ER in about 4 years, the last time I went they gave me a demerol injection and some pills to take home (I can't remember what the pills were but they were strong). But they didn't give me torodol.
I'll go to Urgent Care instead of the ER because I can afford it better without insurance - UC is still expensive to pay for out of pocket, but not as expensive as ER. UC gives me torodol right off the bat though, even though I've told them it doesn't work for me. I'll only go to UC for a level 8/9 that nothing will help. The torodol will at best reduce the 8/9 to a 7, and that only for a couple of hours, then it goes back up again. Sad I wish torodol did work better for me.

But, if your GP won't prescribe it, will your nuero? I'm pretty sure my nuero would if I asked him to. I know every dr. is different, though. But I didn't think torodol was a "serious," or addictive, medication.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawn Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Yeah, Toradol doesn't work for me...

I get 150 mg demerol, 75-100 mg visteril, and some benadryl cuz I get itchy taking this much. It's the only thing that works. My doc allows me to take that dose 2-3 times a month.

I usually take a 22-24 hour nap once I take the meds, and I need 2-3 days to recover from the drugs. It's a pain in the *** because I go through withdrawals from the drugs once I wake up, but it's so worth it to get some relief from the pain.

Dawn

Dawn
Dawn

http://www.greenourliving.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Unfortunately not only has it not done a thing for me in the ER, my migraines have actually gotten worse while on an IV of it. So it literally seems to do absolutely nothing for me. I guess it's a regulation in the ER here (Ontario) that they have to try a non-narcotic treatment first. Even with my history. So I have sat through a on IV of it 3 times with it doing nothing.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down