migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you ever given your dog Imodium?...

+4
cupatea
VickiG
Sara79
CluelessKitty
8 posters

Go down

Have you ever given your dog Imodium?... Empty Have you ever given your dog Imodium?...

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Mine is in an urgent need of anti-diarrhea medicine,
and I happen to have Imodium and Pepto-Bismol at home,

via Google I've found out both of these are given to the dogs but I'd rather to know if any of you have first hand (or should I say- butt, lol) experience with this matter?

Any advice greatly will be appreciated.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Have you ever given your dog Imodium?... Empty Re: Have you ever given your dog Imodium?...

Post  Sara79 Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

I've given my cat pepto, both the vet formulation and the OTC human stuff. I had better luck with the vet stuff, simply because it was pre-syringed and beef flavored. It helped with the nervous tummy issues, my poor guy had it going both ways.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Have you ever given your dog Imodium?... Empty Re: Have you ever given your dog Imodium?...

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks a lot :]

I've realized later I only have Pepto. Somebody must have finish off our Imodium and I didn't know that so I end up giving the dog the pink stuff. So far so good.
If the runs return, I'll have to go the vet.

But I'm still interested how your dogs (or cats) react to either of them.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 am

I've never tried immodium, but when my bunny was having GI problems and had stopped pooping, a sign of a potentially deadly disorder, my bunny vet had me giving her an OTC gas medicine. Did you know that most vets can't treat bunnies? They're considered exotics, and only specially trained vets can treat them. The name of the med just slipped my tongue, but it's the same stuff used in Gas-X and the like, but in a dropper formulation for children. I think she also had a veterinary version of reglan. Precious HATED having to take those meds and would fight me so hard! I ended up with a lot of nasty scratches all over.

And speaking of pet meds, my parents' parrot takes the same thyroid medicine my mom does! They fill it at CVS under the name, "Jerry's bird." We crush it and put it in her water. It's even the same dose my mom takes, but since she doesn't drink all the water in her cup each day, she gets a smaller amount. Isn't that funny?
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Have you ever given your dog Imodium?... Empty Mmmm....Pepto!

Post  cupatea Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:16 am

We have definitely given our 3 dogs pepto on occasion. Just a little. My big dog actually laps it off the spoon. the bully (my poster child!) needs it poured down her!
It works, but I would just make sure that you give very little depending on weight. They can easily get constipated with it. Has your dog had diarrhea for days? Is it a new thing? (I know, I watch my dogs poo as well to see how healthy they are ).
A little known secret....rawhide. It helps slow down the digestive tract and it tends to stop them up a bit.
Good luck! Poor puppy....
tea
cupatea
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:03 am

Risa. I have used Pepto on my Goldens on several occasions. It works well. Also, give some probiotics to keep it away.
Good Luck.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 am

I've given pepto to my Abby. She's my tummy trouble dog. One thing that makes your life infinitely easier is the caplets. I can only imagine the fun we'd have if I tried to give her liquid. I can just see it - sticky pink liquid everywhere!

If that doesn't work ask your vet about metronidazole - it's an antibiotic but has anti-inflammatory properties. Ditto's currently on this cause things just aren't quite right with him.

The other thing is omeprazole for upset tummies. Depends on their weight but it helps too.

Also if you end up with them being stopped up, a couple tablespoons of pumpkin should get everything moving again. Cat-lax is the other one for that.

Hope your dog feels better Risa. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:13 am

Saf, our Golden seemed to have IBS as a pup. She had a lot of Kaolin on and off and it always fixed it.
i never asked the vet, just took the advice of the breeder. She is now 13 and she grew out of it.
P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Pepto works wonders. Don't give too much and expect darkened poohs to follow. They need extra water too when they have it.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks guys.
I am afraid it's my fault they got the runs (I have two dogs). I have given them funky smelling past due date corned beef and BF ham Embarassed
I figured since they eat garbage out in the bushes God only knows how old and rotten, what a day or two old cold cuts can do?
well looks like CAN do quite a run, lol and not so funny when you have to deal with it, eh?

Today I wasn't able to observe the poop yet - had to rush out the house without checking the deed b/c
me kid was having a driving lessons, and of course I got up at the last mine and was running late.

But coming back 4 hrs later, the dogs were fine, not rushing out the door, the house clean - so, a good sign.

The one to whom the Pepto was given (one chewable tablet, a dose for kids up to 9), beside the diarrhea is very fine, eating normally, plays normally and all,
so it must have been the slight intestinal upset due to spoiled food only.
Looks like the vet won't be necessary.
Not that I am cheap, but we just spent a lot of money recently on the other dog Bella with whom we had a cancer scare, but thankfully the tests didn't confirmed it.

She suddenly went very sick, weak, feverish and refused to eat. The X ray showed shrunken liver, and undigested food still in the stomach. And we knew she ate last two days ago.

But it turned out later, her liver stats were very good, normal so she must have just a small liver then, smaller than normal is, the other tests showed she has anemia and other deficiencies
and some other stuff which I didn't quite understood -I think enzymes levels,
but to sum it up it looked like she got /caught some infection for which she was given antibiotics,
and for deficiencies some liquid multivitamins and minerals,
and after a longish while she was fine.
Fingers crossed, so far so good cheers

but money wise, we spent over 500 bucks just like that.
ouch. not that it matters - I've paid it happily, but still - ouch, you know how it is - you'd rather this tooth does not need another root job, eh?...

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Have you ever given your dog Imodium?... Empty Speaking of cancer. . .

Post  VickiG Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:52 am

Our 15-year-old German shepherd/ husky mix had cancer a few years ago, and they did surgery on his leg to remove the tumor, but couldn't get it all. He was so traumatized by that that we refused to let them try to do any further work on him, but just let him have a good year or two left. That was at least three years ago, and he's still here. So my mom took back to the vet for a check-up, and it turns out that his cancer is gone! They said not only that it would never go aways on its own but that it would kill him soon, and he is healed! We are so very happy about that! We want our Justice as long as we possibly can have him. He's one of a kind (as I'm sure all dogs are!)!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:51 pm

wow, a miracle, and I am so glad it has happened!
may it happen to all our sick but wonderful pets and everyone on Earth, including us, anyway!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum