migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Touchy subject - dog/cat owners and the guests...

+6
estre004
Paradox
HeelerLady
Hal
AuntieBubbs
CluelessKitty
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Touchy subject - dog/cat owners and the guests... - Page 2 Empty Re: Touchy subject - dog/cat owners and the guests...

Post  HeelerLady Sun May 30, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks. Smile

If you ever want a challenge, rescue a dog. Some are easier than others but they aren't for the faint of heart and it is rewarding. Smile Cats are easier. Wink

My vet yesterday told me she got involved in horse rescue - saving horses from slaughter. She has her own but has a lot of land. She was torn, do you save the older ones that should be able to enjoy their retirement years or do you save a young one that hasn't had a chance yet? My thought was, the time commitment. An older one is going to be less work than a younger one and there are others that may have more time for a young one.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Touchy subject - dog/cat owners and the guests... - Page 2 Empty Re: Touchy subject - dog/cat owners and the guests...

Post  CluelessKitty Sun May 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Yes those are very hard decisions - one one hand why put an old horse who probably has a lifetime of misery and abuse behind him to sleep without letting him have a bit of TLC first?
on the other, survival instinct says, it's the young that makes sense to keep alive.

I wouldn't want to be in the vet's shoes, certainly. I would be incapable of making the decision.

I hope however one day to rescue a dog from a shelter. I can't a cat as I developed severe allergy to a cat.
Oh well, rats on a poke!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:17 pm

The cat and the turkey story reminded me of when my uncle's basset hound stole his baked ham. Bassets aren't supposed to be able to jump up very high, but this one is very limber, and she managed to get to the table (where she sometimes steals the butter and eats that!) and steal the ham off the plate when everyone's backs were turned. My uncle got so angry that he spent a good 5 minutes or more fighting with her over this ham. Picture the father in the movie A Christmas Story as he is fighting the neighbor dogs over his turkey. Even though the ham was by now inedible, my uncle was determined that the dog wasn't going to get it. And eventually he won!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 am

Both my dogs are rescues....both have some very bad habits....but time is on our side and things have been getting better. It's very hard work sometimes.
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 am

Milo,

My new dog, while he's adjusting well, has potty issues. Did you have to deal with that?

I'm just curious as my other rescue, while she would rarely have an accident in the house, was never taught how to cue to go outside. New dog seems to not have been trained at all. I'm working on bell training now but am ready to pull my hair out. He is better about potty but the minute I'm not watching he poops in the house! I've gated him off from carpet but any suggestions?

Becky

PS - new avatar is interesting...what is it?
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2