migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different sizes...UK and USA

+2
AZgirl
Senna
6 posters

Go down

Different sizes...UK  and USA Empty Different sizes...UK and USA

Post  Senna Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 am

I was on a shopping spree yesterday, as I am going to a wedding next week and need something new and different to wear, so I was buyng clothes basically first time this season.

Towards the end of the afteroon I came across a lovely cream satin jacket, beautifully made and finished (by Dex) but I was already tired so I did not bother to try it on, just checked that it was the right size (12) came home, and when I tried it on it was it is much too big for me.

Then I realised that I made a mistake, that it was USA 12. I am not sure how the sizes compare for future reference in case this happens again. Does anyone know?

In UK I am between size 12/14. I have a typical hourglass shape, so my waist is smaller UK size 12) then the chest and hips (which are more like size 14). But this jacket is much too big for me and it needs to go back.
What is USA size 12, equivalent in UK?

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Different sizes...UK  and USA Empty Re: Different sizes...UK and USA

Post  AZgirl Fri May 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I have no idea, but it sounds like you enjoyed your shopping spree. Any pictures of the jacket?
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri May 14, 2010 9:16 pm

I don't know either but why not check Google:
http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/womens-sizes.html

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Sat May 15, 2010 7:15 am

Thank you for the sizes, Risa.

Lynelle, I will take a picture of the jacket but I must learn how to post them here and when I do, I will post it. I tried to post pctures eher once butd got into a muddle and gave up.

I do like this jacket it has such lovely soft e feel to it, but it just does not hang right. It needs to go back.

Now I must rush as I have my family coming tomorrow and we are having a picnic on the hills near my village so I need to do some serioius cooking.

The good news is - it is getting warmer here at last after such a cold spring - we must make most of it.
Hope the weather is nice where you are.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat May 15, 2010 7:41 am

I don't know about the differences in sizing between the UK and the US, but there is definitely a difference among different designers and/or manufacturers. Sometimes there's even a difference within a specific designer's line. It makes shopping for clothing rather difficult. scratch
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Sat May 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Yes, you are right Becky - you never know how they measure sizez, even the same make, and the same country. IT all varies a lot.

But now I was able to establish that sizing in UK and in USA is different by one size.
In other words USA size 10, is 12 here, size 14 is 16 here etc.
So in USA I would feel I have immediately slimmed down by one size. Great! I like that.
But the jacket I bought and it said it was size 12 was in fact (our UK) size 14, and quite large 14 teen as well - so it is much too big for me and must go back to the shop.

I also hate trying things in the shops squeezing into the littkle cubicles with stupid lighting is too much for me, so I usually buy things bring them home and hope for the best. The trouble is when I take things back I usually spend some more money again! I do not do it too often.

Mind you these season's fashion is great fun, new colours and shapes, much to choose from. Even if I really do not go nearly as much as use to, when I lived in London area old habit die hard.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sun May 16, 2010 5:30 am

Senna wrote:I also hate trying things in the shops squeezing into the littkle cubicles with stupid lighting is too much for me, so I usually buy things bring them home and hope for the best.

And what about the funky mirrors they have in the little cubicles. They completely distort your figure. I don't enjoy trying on things in the shops either. I feel I get a more honest image trying them on in my own home and my own mirrors, and when I can inspect them more thoroughly at my convenience. Rolling Eyes flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Sun May 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Yes, the mirrors - what horror.
It is much better to do it at home, in front of our "kind mirror" we all have one I think - a mirror which is nice to us, no matter what.

It is amzing how they will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars/pound on fitting glamorous shopping interiors yet, they do not invest in making a client feel good about the experince. Instead they can instantly manage to age any woman by twenty years the moment she steps into any of their ridiculous little torture chambers.

Another of my pet hates is these ridiculously over-made-up patronising assisants who call you "Madam".
They look you up and down, and they would say:
- "I do not think we would have this in Madam's size"... (no matter what size you are BTW)
Or: "We do not have it in colour that would suit Madam" etc.

Do you have them in USA, too?Somehow I have a feeling you have much more helpful shop assistants.

On the whole shopping can be a serious health hazard if you value your sanity.
This is why I do not do it too often, so t when I do I buy too much since I do not have to do it again for some time. At least this is my excuse.

The next stage is trying to decided what I ma going to wear to this wedding! Still quite unsure. Decisions, decisions.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 am

I always thought US sizes were two sizes below UK sizes - so a size zero is a UK 4. Whenever I've got clothes in the US I mostly get size 4-6 and I'm an 8-10 (when not pregnant!).

But then there are UK shops where I need a 12, or even a 6 sometimes, depends on the garment too. I (usually) have a small waist but am quite curvy, so sometimes need bigger to accomodate hips/bust or smaller if it's a waisted item. There really is little consistency between retailers.

I find I get the best fit from European stores like Zara and Mango that seem to cut for women with curves, not tubular frames! And I alter and customise a lot of clothes too.

So, in conclusion, the size on the label is often meaningless confused

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 am

Two sizes bigger makes absolute sense. Amy.
This jacket is much too big, more like UK size 16 (even if it says size 12 on the tag).

I am like you as well - very curvy. My UK waist size is 12, my bust 38D, so I need either 14 or 16 top to fit well, and my hips ar standart size 14.
So my US would be: 10-8-12. I think I like the look of that better.

As a result of my shape all my jeans stick out at my waist, jackets are often much too big in my waist - do you get that too - and I cannot breathe properly if I button them up.

My Daughter is the same, she tells me finding suits for work that fit is very is difficult for her - she is also very petite.

You are right, continental clothes are cut differently - they have additonal seams under sleeves which allows for proper bust and a proper waist. And the same with skirts , much better cut.
Here clothes are cut more straight, almost like long tubes, smaller or larger, but not shaped properly.

I live near smaller towns now, so I have not seen Zara or Mango shop so far, but I will look out for it. We have mostly little boutique kind of shops, some chain shops, but I will keep my eyes open for them.
Thank you for the tip.
I hope you are keeping well and your head is not troubling you too much.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 am

Senna said:
As a result of my shape all my jeans stick out at my waist, jackets are often much too big in my waist - do you get that too - and I cannot breathe properly if I button them up.

You might take a look at this website: makeyourownjeans.com The fit, quality, and price is right. I have had several jeans made with the stretch material and I am happy with their product.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Mon May 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Thank you Martin, this sounds like a great idea, only I am really hopeless with the needle.
I could not fit in a zipper if my life depended on it. I know because I have been trying in the past, and both sides absolutely refuse to meet in the middle, no matter what I do.
And this was on a dress, which is much easier the stiff jeans fabric.

I use to make some of my clothes when I was a student - I was so thin that I could not find anything to fit me at the time. I did have some success, but it was mainly sof fabric and simple designs which I made up, as I went along.

Nowadays I use stretch jeans and tight belt and since I only wear jeans casually and not to go out, I manage all right.

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Mon May 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Senna: Makeyourownjeans.com is only the name of web site. What they mean that you pick the style, color, fit and give them your measurements and they make the jeans for you. Many of the jean materials are soft.

I, also, have had them make me corduroy jackets (unlined) with pre-washed and pre-shrunk material. I really like them. To me, that is the only way to wear corduroy jackets or pants. The quality of their shirts is not good.

Being small, getting clothes to fit me is difficult. I should also mention that I am vain and that adds to the difficulty in getting clothes that fit right.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Mon May 17, 2010 3:52 pm

Thank you Martin, I will look at this website, but it is rather late here (nearly 11pm) and I am very sleepy tonight my eyes are closing. BTW I am in UK, so this might be a consideration.

And Martin, you do not need to be vain to feel that you deserve clothes that fit you well.
It definitely improves quality of life to feel comfortable in your clothes so it is important to dress well.

Thank you for your tips

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum