migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bit of a rant I guess.

+5
kw
alli
lesherb
dcook60
pen
9 posters

Go down

Bit of a rant I guess. Empty Bit of a rant I guess.

Post  pen Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 am

It is 5pm. I have managed all day without taking anything and it hasn't even been too much of a struggle.
Now it is creeping in. I feel it, in my eyes and in back of my head and neck.
I should try some OTC. Way too early for Triptan.

I just hate these days when it is almost a no med day and then it hits.
I love to have days off from medication and I managed one yesterday and Monday.
But to get to 5pm.....but then, its still a long way to bedtime...

Does everyone give in and take something later in the day, or try to ride it out?

pen

Back to top Go down

Bit of a rant I guess. Empty bit of a rant

Post  dcook60 Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am

pen, i always take a triptan, whenever in the day i need one. my migraines used to be predictible, as in always in the middle of the night, around 4 a.m.

now, they're any old time, so i realize i am very fortunate to 1.be able to take them in almost daily doses and 2.to have an adequate supply from my insurance.

i have never taken more than 3 maxalts in a day, nor more than 2 amerges. these are the supposed maximums for those two drugs. imitrex, i think, is the same.

you just have to dole them out and it's a great balancing act if you don't have enough. i feel very sorry that so many people COULD have more of a life if they had more triptans.

and for those who haven't read about daily triptans before, there have been numerous studies which have established the safety of this regimen for MOST people. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Bit of a rant I guess. Empty Re: Bit of a rant I guess.

Post  lesherb Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 am

I agree with Diane. Take your triptan. Why wait? They work much better when they get into your system early.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Wed May 05, 2010 10:57 am

That is my question too. I can feel it with the prodome, but when to take something? I just don't know.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  kw Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 am

I will take a triptan if I HAVE to late in the evening, but only if the migraine is really bad. The reason I will only do this if I HAVE to is because for some reason the zomig keeps me up if I take it past 4:30pm. Last week I had a really bad migraine. Usually 1 zomig will stop a migraine if I take it early enough. It happened that I didn't have any in my purse (stupid me), so I waited until I got home take one. Wish I had called my husband to go get me one! I took one right after work, which is about 3:45, and it took the edge off, but by 6:00, I was nauseated and feeling horrible. I had to break down and take another zomig, knowing that I would be up all night. I got to watch a lot of TV and get my laundry done. Smile I do take my triptan whenever I need it, unless I am down to my last one, since my insurance will only let me get 6 a month. Isn't that stupid?!!! Hope this helps.
kw
kw

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed May 05, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks Dianne. I have read about the safety of daily tripans, and read your comments before. I am with you.
I try not to take them more from the point of view that they can wipe me out and then my day is kind of over.
I get enough. But not to take them daily. They wouldnt give me more than 18 a month.

Anyway, I have now taken 2 OTC as it is not getting any better. I am due to have migraine today, but looks like tonight now.
Thanks Dianne.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 am

I just take something or I won't sleep and I won't get up for work in the morning. I can't use triptans because it started bothering my heart so I just have painkillers anyway.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

I should have added. I don't have enough to take one every time I get pain. That's every day.
Its a matter of trying to determine if its migraine or whatever, but I couldn't take one every day.
I wouldn't be bothered to do that. I agree with Dianne, but they wont let me.

So I do agonise over when to take them.
But the rant was more about the frustration of getting right through to 6pm, thinking I am med. free and then having to take something....

Just sounding off in frustration I guess.

Neutral

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 pm

With my situation triptans never worked so I would go for the prescription pain meds at the first sign.

I know the frustration, going all day and then having it creep up and then hit you. All the while thinking so far so good and then it hits.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Brent wrote:With my situation triptans never worked so I would go for the prescription pain meds at the first sign.
I know the frustration, going all day and then having it creep up and then hit you. All the while thinking so far so good and then it hits.

Exactly Brent you got me spot on. It's not a big deal, but I get a bit pleased when I get through on no drugs...and then.... Twisted Evil

I am anticipating it will now break overnight, but you never know...oh and the OTC (2 Excedrin) have helped.
Lousy belly ache though and not from them.... Sad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu May 06, 2010 5:05 am

Just a quick addendum. No migraine yet.....really odd.

It's noon, and so far, so good. Although I have had bely ache since 7pm yesterday evening???

Of course I am pleased, but it seems for now 2 Excedrin stopped it.
Or perhaps it was my "other" pain. It can be so hard to tell.
So maybe it was worth the OTC?
See what happens I guess.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 am

Hi Pen,
I don't take anything strong untill the pain is almost unbereable. I've tried MANY times to take my cafergot (triptans are useless for me...) at the onset of the attack or when the pain is still very mild but it does not work. I have to take a second cafergot when the pain is strong, so I wait. Why should I take 2 suppositories instead of only one???

The only thing that seems to "freeze" the incoming attack for hours is paracetamol. If I take it when I have the very first signals and mild neck tension it can help me to stay painfree for hours. The point is that I know that the real attack will anyway arrive, it's just a matter of hours.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu May 06, 2010 8:31 am

Pen, you already know my regime but for others out there, here it is. I have to take something immediately for it to work good. I have found the triptans work 100% as a preventative if you need to be 100% pain free for something the following day. I don't do this often but they work!!!

Otherwise I take something when I'm still in the do I or don't I stage. No guessing for me anymore. It isn't worth it. If some of the medication is wasted (will never know), so be it. I manage to stay mostly pain free with Migranol, pain killers and triptans. I am a 2-3 week migraineur and manage to keep these at bay. Wish I didn't, but at least I can live normal. Every once in awhile one slips through (like last Sunday). These are only when I don't take something in the guessing stage.
I can manage them the best I can to function at this point but it makes a pretty miserable day.

Very rarely am I bed ridden anymore---all because I quit "waiting". The migraines haven't improved but my methods of managing them have.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down