migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant

5 posters

Go down

Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant Empty Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant

Post  sailingmuffin Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I have an implanted occipital nerve stimulator, which helps a great deal with my headaches. I broke the right wire when I fainted last year. Unfortunately, the gym I have been attending for nine months got concerned about the fainting and put with a different trainer- one who, I have been told was an RN. During the first session, even though I was seated, I fainted- she tried to catch me, my head arched back and I hit it right on top of the working wire- which is not good. I know it was an accident and I am not blaming anyone becuase these things do happen when one has things implanted.

The swelling prevented me from feeling the shock at first, but as soon as it went down, I found that I was being shocked in the wrong place. I called the gym- just to let them know what happened and to ask for a different trainer- as this one did not listen to me and it just wasn't working well.

Yesterday, I went to speak with her supervisor. My roommate went with me. The first thing the supervisor said was "I don't understand why you are worried about a broken wire since the other one is already broken." I replied that two broked leads would mean a more extensive surgery to repair it." She still did not understand that being shocked in the wrong place can be painful. I asked about other trainers and she replied "well, this one has been in the medical field and can deal with it better. She is the best trainer for you." (She may have been in the medical field, but she did not seem to have a great deal of medical knowledge. example- she did not know that syncope was the medical term for fainting. In addition, when I became aphasic- she did not know what to do and my roommate had to step in.} I explained that it was part of the migraine. I was then told that I was "too much of a liability and all the trainers were conveniently booked.

When I asked if I could keep the gym membership and at least ride the bike a few times a week- if I brought my roommate or another friend- who is male with me. They said "well, your roommate can come, but your other friend can't- because he can't catch ou. (He is six feet tall and muscular and has caught me plenty of times}. When I asked why, I was told it was because I might pass out in the locker room. At this point, my roommate stepped in and said "I smell a rat- something is not right about this." The supervisor then jumped down her throat and said that my roommate had a "bad attitude." I also asked why this was just coming up, since I have been training with the same person for about ten months and have never had a problem. I was told that it was because there were some days where I did not faint at the gym and some when I fainted several times. I replied that I had no control over this. Anyway, the whole thing ended with my being told that I was too much of a liability and needed to go somewhere else. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant conversation. I am going to get a letter from them eplaining the situation, but that is all.

I also had the stimulator wire checked. The rep ran every test he could run and I was still being shocked in the wrong place. He also did something I have never seen him do- he got the doctor. I could tell something was wrong by the look on his face. My pain dr said he would be glad to increase the tylenol 3 if needed and that he would be happy to order any of the films that the neurosurgeon wants. The neuro surgeon is in Denver. So we are now looking at replacing two wires instead of one.

Needless to say, the headaches have increased dramatically without the stimulator and I have had slurred speech for four days. My neurologist is out of town and will not be back until the end of next week, which means I will probably have to wait a week before setting up an IV of depakon, which is one of the few things that helps in this situation.

I just don't know what to do. I am sort of emotionally drained by the whole experience and by pain. I hate having to fight these bettles. Right now, the only thing I can really do is wait it out. I'd love any suggestions or advice.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant Empty Re: Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant

Post  lesherb Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi SM,

It's been a long time since I've posted in reply to you (or maybe it just feels that way to me). I can understand your being disappointed about the gym. I hope you don't mind my posting this...but I completely understand the gym not wanting to take a chance with you.

You wouldn't want someone coming into your home who stands a very good chance of falling because of a disability if you could be sued for it, would you? Businesses have to be very careful.

On the other hand, is it possible that legally they must provide a spotter for you because of disability? If that is the case, then I understand your being miffed.

As far as a so-called nurse not understanding medical terminology, I'd steer clear. It sounds like their "nurse" might have spent summers working as a Candy Striper while in high school rather than an RN or an LPN.

Could you find a different gym who would provide assistance for you? Then they would be covered legally and you would be covered against getting hurt should you faint.

I'm sorry about your stimulator wires. That stinks on ice, really. If you take a lot of T-3, maybe you'd be better off asking for a narcotic without the Tylenol. There's no need to overtax your liver while you're treating your pain. Of course, schedule 2 meds have their own particular pain in the neck aspects to them (no refills, no calling them into the pharmacy). It's up to you.

I hope I helped in some small measure. If not, please know my heart is in the right place.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant Empty Re: Another broken wire, gym woes- warning vant

Post  marion Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 pm

Have no advice or suggestions, can only offer sympathy.
How long will you have to wait for the wires to be fixed?
Hope its quick for you.
Maybe you will have to resort to a local hospital gym where hospital staff attend and won't be fazed by the fainting.
It would be a shame to give up the exercise.
The temptation to become a couch potato must be huge.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi Sailing Muffin,
I'm sorry this has happened to you, but I have to agree with Leslie. In the US liability is a huge issue. One lawsuit could put them out of business. I would however, expect them to reimburse you for fees, dues or whatever you've already paid them. There are many facilities associated with hospitals or clinics that might be better suited to your needs. I would approach one, explain exactly what you need and ask if they are able to accommodate you.

And I can't imagine this trainer is/was an RN. An RN goes through a rigorous program and would certainly understand the words and have the requisite knowledge. (Many people call anyone who works in a doctor's office a nurse, for example, no matter what they do.) A registered nurse carries a license and has shown her or his knowledge by education and a licensing exam. And you say they told you this woman was a nurse- past tense. If she is not currently licensed to practice, then it is certainly unfair of the gym to expect her to practice nursing. And illegal. And if she is licensed, did they hire hire her to practice nursing? Probably not. It becomes a very sticky situation all around.
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:37 pm

sailing,

sorry to hear of the rough go--and i hope you can get your stimulator fixed.

i think we went over this territory before. the gym has to provide a staff with a minimum of training. they are not compelled at all to provide for someone that has an extremely complex case. what the gym is representing their staff in terms of ability is another story.

again, your problems (not unlike my syncope problems) require a well trained rehab/physical therapy facility--not a gym. when my cholesterol meds damaged my muscles and i became too unstable, I was politely told that i couldn't come to "cardiac rehab" run by a hospital!

what we did, is buy all the exercise equipment that i need. i know, this isn't cheap, but i can work at my own pace, and my dad can keep an eye out for problems.

a recumbant exercise bike might be very helpful--you are already sitting and it does increase core and leg strength. this is what the syncope docs want.

sorry to hear about this. the gym should have been upfront instead of doing this. from their perspective, i wouldn't want a severe syncope patient.

i almost fainted on my dentist yesterday, and believe me, it does indeed make people extremely nervous.

don't expect ferrari performance from a toyota. but do find someone that can assist.

good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat May 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi All,

I understand and appreciate the advice regarding liability. I know it is a big deal in the litigious society we live in today. I am upset by the way the entire situation was handled.

I have been attending this gym for ten months and working with the same trainer and for those ten months, there were no problems at all. When I signed up, I explained the fainting issue as well as the stimulator and was told that this was not a problem. I usually had someone with me in case I did faint. And, as I stated before, everything seemed fine. The problems only arose when I moved to a different trainer, because they changed the hours of my previous trainer. In addition, I did sign a legal waiver. When management asked for a note from my dr. I provided it with no problems or questions asked.

The problems arose when I was put with a different trainer. This particular trainer did not listen to me at all- which is important. Furthermore, she treated me as if I was made of glass or something. I knew something was wrong when I walked in with my usual bottle of gatorade and she asked " Why are drinking gatorade rather than water." I told her the truth- that I needed the electrolytes. She could not carry on a conversation of any sort. So I started counting in french, quoting shakespeare etc. I do use thinkgs like that if I need to distract myself. She also freakedout when I did faint. Anyway, I tried my best to giver a fair chance. However, when the wire broke I called so that they would be aware of what happened. I also requested to go back to my old trainer or to be placed with a new one, which was a reasonable request.

When I met with the manager on Thursday, Things did not go well. I would have had no problem if she has simply come out and said "We're really concerned about the fainting and we think another gym might help you more." However, they did not say this, but really backtracked, and in one case flat out lied. I was basically told that my old trainer was scared of me. I have spoken with him several times on this subject and expressly stated that if it did bother him, that was ok too. When my roommate asked if we could talk with my old trainer about this, they said "No." I walso blamed for the fac that sometimes the old trainer did not get everything he needed to get done around the gym. (He is a trainer and he is paid to train people- so I do not believe that is my fault. When I asked why this was coming up after a year in the gym- they did have an answer- just said I was a liability.

The manager was quite condescending and compared this siruation with using the mobile cart at the grocery store. I also asked if the management was scared of me and was tp;d "No one is scared., you are just a liability. When my roommate made one comment after I asked if I could keep my membership and use the bike with a spotter- they literally jumped down her throat and told her that she had a bad attirude. I was also told that because i quoted stuff. They did give me the name of some other gyms and a refund. So, I am going to check those out.

Actually, what bothered me the most was not being called a liability- that I understand. It was the fact that they lied about it. The other thing that upset me was the managers comment about the broken wire- "well what is the difference between one broken wire and two. I wanted to say "Oh about two extra hours of surgery, several thousand dollars and weeks of absolute agony which no medication cam touch. But I did not.

I am going to get a letter stating why this happened- mostly because it could it strengthen my cause in needed a service dog and getting some services I need. I guess I just feel that the whole thing was handled badly that upsets me.

Thank you so much for the advice. It is good advice. I guess it is just hard to look into other eyes and know that they are scared of you- scared of a disorder they know nothing about.

As to medication, I recently had to come off everything and I really do not want to back on the long acting pain medications unless I absolutely have too.

Unfortunately, the earliest date to repair the wire would be sometime in the latter part of June.

Thanks for all your advice. I think it is just hard to think of myself as liability and harder still to have to fight to do normal things.

Pain free days,
sailingm

Sorry if I repeated anything.
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat May 01, 2010 2:04 pm

Sailingm,

Sorry I have no wise words or advice. Just know that I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Such a never-ending battle for you.... flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Sailing,

I very, very much understand what you are going through. I think it is wise that you've gotten the documentation that might help getting a service pup to help you out.

You know how few syncope experts there are in the U.S. There are more in the U.S. than throughout the world combined. And yet they cannot give us concrete answers or treatments that can really treat syncope.

I also understand what liability and fear a complex patient instills on a provider--whether it is a nurse, trainer, cardiologist, or lawyer. The possibility of fainting on someone immediately brings out some of the worst human fears.....which is the death of another person in front of them.

Yes, this is traumatizing. Only close relatives and healthcare providers that understand your individual case knows how to handle a situation well. They can recognize if it's a syncopal episode where you'll come around quickly, or it is one that needs emergency assistance.

My advice is to accept. Look for the next opportunity vs. roadblock. As there are so many in life, we need to try and limit them as much as possible. I have learned to expect the least, and whatever is beyond that is a positive.

Again, good luck!
-mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down