migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C-Span Fan

3 posters

Go down

C-Span Fan Empty C-Span Fan

Post  lesherb Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Is anyone else here a C-Span Fan? I love when they broadcast from bookstores (a variety of authors will do a speech and answer questions). Yesterday, I watched a book speech by Michael Kauffman. He wrote American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies.

The speech wasn't so much about the book, though. He regaled the audience with anecdotes about people seeking and obtaining Lincoln assassination memorabilia. I didn't realize people were so callous back then!

Some took clothing soaked in Lincoln's blood (and brains). Some carved up bits of the barn where Booth had been hiding right before he was killed. I imagine if eBay was around back then, you could find this stuff up for auction! (wait a minute......nah.....do you think?......I'll check after posting this).

Kauffman is listed a Lincoln Assassination scholar. Again, no idea there was such a thing. I'm beginning to realize I am at the onset of a very amateur scholarship of my own!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

C-Span Fan Empty Re: C-Span Fan

Post  lesherb Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm

In case you were wondering....I searched for "lincoln assassination memorabilia" on eBay. There's nothing there. Of course, that doesn't mean there's none up for auction....I'd just have to get the search terms correct.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Okay Leslie, for the benefit of us outside the UK.
Could you explain C-SPAN please?

TV channel??

Ta

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Sorry Pen....I am one of those arrogant Americans who thinks the entire world is in the states! lol

C-Span is public service of the cable TV industry. They broadcast House and Senate hearings, political speeches, and stuff like that. They've even broadcast British parlimentary hearings on occasion.

Here's their website: http://www.c-span.org/
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Sorry Pen....I am one of those arrogant Americans who thinks the entire world is in the states! lol

It is isn't it?

I once had a friend from US who on flying to England was genuinely surprised they couldn't see the entire country in one go as they flew in.... lol!

Thanks Leslie,will take a look.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Why is it called C-SPAN?

See they are covering our election fiasco....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 pm

I have no idea why they call it C-Span.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Reminds me of an old McCartney song "C moon". The flip of Hi Hi Hi which got banned.
Never knew why it was called that either....

So I looked it up, and here is the explanation:

The name "C Moon" was inspired by lyrics in the song "Wooly Bully" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. McCartney said, "There's a line in [Wooly Bully] that says, 'Let's not be L7.' Well, L7, it was explained at the time, means a square—put L and 7 together and you get a square... So I thought of the idea of putting a C and a moon together (a half-moon) to get the opposite of a square. So 'C Moon' means cool, in other words."

There you go mystery solved......Not that anyone asked....

Last edited by pen on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:11 pm

See the moon? You see?

Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content