migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The common triggers for migraine like in the papers.

5 posters

Go down

The common triggers for migraine like in the papers. Empty The common triggers for migraine like in the papers.

Post  pen Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:30 pm

I just signed up for a course of treatment for my fibro/IBS.
Yo ual lkinow my theory that my migraines are a symptom.

They sent me a list of dietary migraine triggers....
Usual stuff:
Chocolate. Cheese. Wine. Caffeine. Citrus. MSG.
You all know the stuff.

Now on my own behalf I went back to them and told them that none of them apply and many neuros sugges that they are not causes of, but effects of the migtaines.

Either way, having heard back that I almost certianly have a problem with some of them, before I reiterate, I wondered if these media type triggers are actually a problem for many of you.....

I dont want to appear difficult. Only on the first part... Embarassed

pen

Back to top Go down

The common triggers for migraine like in the papers. Empty Re: The common triggers for migraine like in the papers.

Post  Ivy Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 am

Apart from caffeine, the others are bad triggers.
I found them out through the elimination diet (hard thing to do, but worth).
The point is that I should live alone on an island to respect such a strict diet. If you want to be a social person, it's not easy to avoid triggers 100%.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

The common triggers for migraine like in the papers. Empty food triggers

Post  crt Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm

All the typical food ones are not a problem for me. MSG and Aspartame are. Whether these two can be called 'food' is debatable.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

The common triggers for migraine like in the papers. Empty Re: The common triggers for migraine like in the papers.

Post  pen Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 pm

I am glad I asked because they mainly deal with the more obvious side of fibro and migraines.
I thought maybe they were giving people the wrong advice because I dont know anyone who has these "common" triggers.
But there you go Ivy you proved me wrong right away. Thanks

As for MSG that is such strange stuff. It gets into all sorts of things and I dont notice anything, but a couple of years ago I got migraine after a Chinese meal...course could have been co incidence. Rolling Eyes

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Pen,

My triggers are salt, MSG , Aspartame, and alcohol. Salt being a big one because that means no chips, ham, bacon, anything smoked, etc...

I have no problem with cheese or chocolate. In fact chocolate helps me. Coffee is a huge help.

I think everyone has their own triggers and the ones you mentioned maybe triggers that are more common.

Hope this helps...

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am

Pen,

So far, I have not had any trouble with chocolate. I love semi-sweet, and other dark chocolates. Milk chocolate, on the other hand, I find, contains too much milk, and not enough chocolate. Once in a while, dark chocolate even helps a little bit with the H/A.

There are a few (including Swiss/Jarlsburg) cheeses that I am able to eat; but most (as well as any cheese that has been heated or melted) give me severe nausea.

Just the smell of alcoholic drinks is enough to make me sick and headachy, so I never drink any. I have always been a tea-totaler. My preferred beverage has always been water.

I generaly try to avoid caffeine, but it IS in chocolate and Fioricet.

I have not noticed any problems with citrus, except for the fresh zest (or if it is starting to spoil).

I try to avoid the excito-toxins MSG and Aspartame, but they are everywhere. Aspartame is even in Zomig-zmt!

Have you been to this web site?
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/
It was recomended to me by my youngest sister, who does have IBS; when she thought that I had it too, except, what I had was a Salmonella infection.

My sister must not eat egg yolks, which are one of her IBS triggers.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down