migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself?

3 posters

Go down

does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself? Empty does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself?

Post  dizzyflower Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:33 am

Just changing next Sat to a migraine friendly car with tinted windows etc. This is very exciting as I am looking forward to the freedom and I Decided to sell old one myself to get more than part exchange. However.

Am told I have to transfer my insurance over from old car to new one to hold onto no calims bonus so have to insure old one on a temporary insurance for which they want £101 for the month!!

It only cost £230 for the year so surely there has to be a cheaper way, but 3 hours on the net and with lengthy phone calls and no luck. Has anyone done this recently and could give me an idea how to keep the old one covered till it sells? I can't afford to lose it, or the £101 for the month. The whole process so far is giving me a headache and I have quotes ringing in my ears.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself? Empty Re: does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself?

Post  pen Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:47 am

My husband days that is a rip off price. How long do you want the dual for?
Normally you swap at the time of pruchase/change and they cover you on both for about an hour at the cost of normally about £10.
This seem odd, a whole week??? Why a week?

pen

Back to top Go down

does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself? Empty Re: does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself?

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 am

Gee, I wish I had some advice.

In the U.S., typically we carry the policy until the sale transaction and Bill of Sale is complete. Then you call your insurance agent cancelling the policy.

Same thing for a new car. It usually takes just a phone call and a few minutes.

That's quite expensive!

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 am

That's how we have always done it too.

You just keep your current policy in force and let your insurance agent know the day it is sold to cancel and then they send you a check for the days left on your policy.(Does that make sense?)

Whenever we have bought a new car, we just called the insurance agent from the car lot and gave them the VIN number so they could start a new policy immediately.

That's how it works here, but I don't know about how they do things where you are.

Something else I just saw on a court show is when you are selling a used car and people are coming to look at it, make sure you actually see a valid drivers license before you let anyone test drive the vehicle.

Someone on the show had taken the persons word for it that they had a license and they hit something with the car and the sellers insurance would not pay.

Of course then you would have to sue the person. I was thinking when I was watching, what if this so called buyer had left the scene? Would you even be able to find them again? I mean how much info would you have on this person in just the few minutes you had before the test drive? I am pretty trusting, but some of the situations you see on these court shows make you think twice.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself? Empty insuring the old car till it is sold

Post  dizzyflower Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:32 am

Cindy thanks for the warning about checking they have a licence.

The insurance I have will transfer to the new car which I am told is how I continue the no claims bonus because I pay monthly I have to complete the years inurance with them or I'm in breach of the credit agreement.

I thought it was like pay as you go but it is effectively a loan agreement so the rules are different. So I have to transfer from one vehicle to another, paying a transfer fee too. I only get my no claims statement at the end of the year's cover when i havn't breached the contract.

The £101 is to insure my old car for a month till it sells because I can't use my no claims bonus on a short term insurance. I am selling it myself because it is worth twice the part exchange offer.

The bit I don't know about is how to keep the old car covered somehow till it sells. The new one is comparatively easy because it just transfers over. It seems wrong to pay this much just for a month.

The problem is over her a PT cruiser is in group 12 for insurance which when you don't include any no claims discount it ends up at over £600 for the year to insure, even when it was built in 2001!!

I am wondering if I insure it against theft etc to sit on my drive if other people come to view it it might be covered on their comprehensive insurance.

Sorry if this is too involved I was just posting realy on the offchace that one of us had done this recently and knew all about it.

Thanks for your ideas.

regards

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

does anyone know how to insure your old car till you sell it yourself? Empty why a week?

Post  dizzyflower Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 am

Pen sorry I just realised that I hadn't answered your question. It is a week away to allow the cheque to get there, the MOT booking, my insurance certificate so it can be taxed and for Di to recover from the 2 and a half hour journey each way to the person selling the car. It isn't a new one so there are some other checks to be done too.

regards Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum