migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scar Stories

+9
pen
HeelerLady
Cindy*W
willow21
Brenda
survivor
Mule Kick
crt
lesherb
13 posters

Go down

Scar Stories Empty Scar Stories

Post  lesherb Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:39 pm

As most people, I have a couple of scars on my body. I don't have any super fantastic stories but here goes (and, yes, this means you all have to post your scar stories, too).

Scar #1 On my right knee. As a wee child, my father brought a shipping container home (wood) with the intentions of making a play house for me. I was told to stay out of it. I didn't, and fell on a nail. My parents should've taken me for stitches. I always thought the scar looked like a boomerang.

Scar #2 On the right side of my neck. At the age of 17, I had a mole removed. It was purely for vanity reasons. The doctor who did it was my GP and he also delivered me. Remember when doctors did it all? (he was a surgeon)

Scar #3 On the bottom of my right foot, on the arch. I stepped on a horseshoe crab while swimming in the bay as a kid. The scar is two parallel lines and it is barely visible. The funny thing is, I can still feel it (in my head).

Scar #4 On the top of my left foot (finally! something on the left side!) I was playing hopscotch on the pavement in elementary school and slipped. I remember the pain of that one, too!

Scar #5 On my chin....only visible if I point it out and you're very close. I picked up my friends daschund (sp?) when he didn't want to be picked up. Luckily, I was tipsy and didn't really feel him bite me!

Okay folks.....I am prepared to be dazzled by your scar stories!
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Scar Stories Empty Scary Scar Stories

Post  crt Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Sorry Leslie,

They're too horrible. I have 2 fairly long ones and more than that I'm unwilling to say. No, they're not from sword fighting.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Scar Stories Empty Re: Scar Stories

Post  Mule Kick Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:13 am

I have a small, barely visible, scar on my upper lip, below my left nostril. I was bucked off of my youngest sister's blue-roan horse, Smokey, taking a nose-dive down his neck. I landed on my lower face and helmet bill (or is it called a peak?), on an oiled dirt road boardering the southern edge of our property. Fortunately, that was one of the rare days that I actually wore my riding helmet.

I did not like to wear that helmet, because it always gave me a horrendous headache. I had bought it mail-order, so never had a chance to try it on before purchase. It was the correct size, but it was designed for someone with a very different shaped skull, someone much narrower between the temples than I. Wearing it became excruciating torture after a very short time. It was fairly cheap quality with only a piece of elastic for a chin-strap.

I sat up, spit the gravel out of my mouth, checked to make sure that my teeth were still intact, and got up for the half mile walk back home carrying the hackamore that had slipped off of Smokey's head when he ran off. I had "road-burn" scrapes on my chin and nose, and the cut lip. I probably should have gotten stitches, but didn't because I was too afraid of needles. I just treated it with the application of an ice cube in a wash cloth.

This fall could not have been good for my head, or neck either.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:17 am

Gee, Leslie, I would have to write a book!

Just a few.......

Left forefinger top lower joint ...was trying to cut the UPC symbol off of a soapbox in 7th grade. Should have had stitches but no money for it.

Left forefinger outside....Between first and second joint. Eight stitches last year when I cut the side off w/ a rotary cutter.

Multiple burn scars on both hands from cooking and feeding the woodstove.

Multiple scars on my torso from having moles removed. I have had them burnt off, cut off and dug out.

More scars on my torso from surgeries.....three for gallbladder, another couple from an exploratory when I had a severe infection, and the biggie from having the alien baby removed when I had cancer a couple years ago.

My feet and legs have multiple scars from childhood accidents.

Only place I can think of I don't have a scar is my head.

Btw, I have also had over 20 broken bones. I am a wee bit accident prone!!

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Hmmm I have one on the web of my left hand between my thumb and forefinger. When I was 2 years old, I had a wind up metal dog toy. when you wound it up, it would open and close it's mouth and bark. I remember distinctly wondering what would happen if I put my hand in there. It gave me a good cut. Mom said I started yelling "doggie bite me." Those were the days before they had safety regulations for toys. Needless to say that was the last day of that dog's life. LOL

The one on my left knee was from learning toride a bike. I fell over and over on it and kept tearing the scab off each time.

The one on my right shin is from chicken pox. It was the first one that popped and I scratched it like crazy.

One on my chin is from having a small cyst removed.

One in my navel and two lower on my abdomen are from laproscopic surgery to remove 3 ovarian cysts.

I think that's it. Smile
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:04 pm

I love scar stories! I forgot two! I worked in the deli of a supermarket and was making a turkey sandwich for a customer. I was catching the turkey slices, with my left hand, as they fell from the slicer I was operating. I went a bit too close to the blade and sliced into my ring and middle finger tips.

All I could think of was I had gotten blood all over the turkey and I'd ruined that man's sandwich! My boss drove me to the ER and I got stitches. That job didn't last long Sad
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Scar Stories Empty Scar Stories

Post  willow21 Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:28 pm

I have a few scars... 3 little ones on my belly from a surgery, a c-section scar, a scar on my right hand from a burn from an iron.

I have one on my left knee from when I was a little one playing in the parking lot of my grandparents restaurant. I tripped and fell on the gravel. I remember my gramma picking the stones out of the cut. I also remember that I was crying and my gramma promised me that I could have a treat if I would just let her clean me up.

The worst scar I have is on my lower left leg, it's about 4 inches long. My son was 3 at the time and we were at my in-laws cottage and he was fishing off the dock. When he cast his line I was standing a little bit behind him and the hook got stuck in my leg. He kept pulling the pole to get his line in the water and while he was pulling the hook was dragging through my skin, it hurt like a son of a gun!

I screamed and told my husband what had happened so he got the fishing pole away from my son. It took a while to get that darn hook out of my leg. I went to the doctor and they cleaned it up, gave me an antibiotic and sent me on my way. To this day I am very careful around fishing poles!

Take Care,
Willow

willow21

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:18 am

I have a scar on my left ring finger that I cut when I was little. I really can't remember how it happened. Just remember my Mother taking me to a neighbor who was a nurse and she had Mom take me in for a few stitches.

I have two scars under my chin. One I got when I was small. I was swinging the neighbor on our swingset and she jumped out of the swing and the swing came back and caught me right under the chin and the bone came thru. I got a few stitches for that one.

Then when I was sixteen, I was in a major collision. It was amazing that all I came out of it with was a scar under my chin that looks like an "H."

Surgical scars: Three from gall bladder surgery. Six from two different ovary surgeries. Four from breast biopsies. One is much larger than the other three and I have no idea why.

I almost forgot, I have two scars on my forehead from when I had chicken pox as a kid. I was probably about 12. My mom took me into the doctor because she wasn't sure it was chicken pox because they were as big as a silver dollar. I remember the doctor taking picture of them. I also remember how totally embarrassed I was! My brother got them shortly after I did and he had like three of them total where I was completely covered. We still laugh about that sometimes.

I think that covers it.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:06 am

Well I have a few.

One under my chin - fell running through the church when I was 3 and split it open. Required a couple of stitches and I remember fighting it the entire time.

I have another one on my knee from a wipeout from riding a bike. It was rather deep and I couldn't seem to leave the scab alone.

I have a circular one on my right forearm from a rabbit bite. She was a new momma and didn't like me checking out her babies - learned to pull the nest box up to the edge of the cage so she didn't have another chance.

Various scratch looking ones on my hands from rabbit and cat scratches.

I have 3 little ones on my right knee from laproscopic surgery. 2 on my left ankle from another laproscopic surgery. One in my navel from the appendectomy (there are two others somewhere - can't seem to find them though).

Well that's the list of current visible ones. I've had more but the scars have all faded. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:22 am

I read this as Scare stories.....I dont really have any scars.
I have never really incurred any.

Slight scar on sole of foot from piece of glass in paddling pool.
Slight scar on wrist from piece of broken glass in window. My cousin chased me with a jumping cracker and I pushed my arm through the glass pane. Could have been worse, just missed an artery.

That's it, how boring am I? Never broken any bones either, except for my nose, which I didnt find out about until years later...
No surgery either.

Cant compete with the rest of you....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 am

THE scar is on my neck from thyroid surgery.

Then, I have a very small scar on my left cheekbone, just below the left eye. I was 2 and wanted to make clothes for my teddy bear. My mother had guessed my tayloring intentions and she hid all scissors within my reach. I did not give up: one day, unseen, I jumped on the dressed table and reached for a knife. I tried to cut some toilet paper by holding the blame towards my face and I hit my cheek. Only a few inches above, I would have hit my eye, with worse consequences. These episodes make me think that Angels exist Very Happy

Like many of you, I also have a chicken pox scar. It's almost invisible as it's partially covered by an eybrow, but I know it's there and I sometimes touch it and remember how awful chicken pox was!!!! I was 17 when I got it and it was a hot, humid, horrible summer....All my friend were on vacation and having fun and I was in bed with itching and high temp No
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 am

Shiver..........
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 am

Gosh I have so many...

One on my chin from slipping in the bathtub when I was 4. I remember biting the doctor when he put iodine on the cut. EEEE.
A mysterious one through my eyebrow. No one knows how I got that one. My Mom lost track as all five of us have a scar on our foreheads from something or other.
Several on my hands from cutting myself cooking or repairing things. (saws can be sharp!) Only one required stiches. I still have a dent in my fingernail from that one.
A bunch on my abdomen from 3 laproscopic surgeries.
2 really long ones and 2 small ones from a double bunionectomy and osteotomy. That one HURT!
O good long one on my shoulder from a shoulder repair after a car accident.

My goal is to get through the rest of very long life with no more scars! Razz

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:55 pm

This thread reminds me of that scene in Jaws where the three guys are in a ship's galley competing with scar stories - then the shark attacks and begins eating the boat. Great scene.

I have a few scars too - but I don't remember getting them here and there and the ones I do remember I don't feel like sharing. but I am enjoying all your tales. Our scars do tell our lives in many ways.

I do have one major scar. Across my lower back are three almost perfect half circles lined up across. My first winter in Alaska, I visited some friends in the dea dof winter. It being cold, I sat right next to the woodstove. My sweater and pants separated a bit as I leaned forward and then leaned back. I remember having to reach back and force my burned body off the stove. The host fixed me right up - with a spray on sunburn product! As we left, I was finally allowed to scream out in pain and put some snow on the burns. It is a pretty cool design across my lower back - but I don't sit near woodstoves any longer no matter how cold I am! LOL

Last edited by Richard on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remembered burn story)
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Scar Stories Empty Way to go Pen!

Post  crt Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:14 pm

pen wrote:I read this as Scare stories.....I dont really have any scars.
I have never really incurred any.

Slight scar on sole of foot from piece of glass in paddling pool.
Slight scar on wrist from piece of broken glass in window. My cousin chased me with a jumping cracker and I pushed my arm through the glass pane. Could have been worse, just missed an artery.

That's it, how boring am I? Never broken any bones either, except for my nose, which I didn't find out about until years later...
No surgery either.

Cant compete with the rest of you....

Pen,

That's wonderful that you haven't had surgeries, major broken bones, or large scars. You're fortunate to have escaped the traumas that many of us have dealt with. BTW, I am NOT minimizing the physical issues that you do have. They are more than enough to deal with.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down