migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I feel like smacking my boss...

+7
theresae
Paradox
Brent
crt
milo
HeelerLady
alli
11 posters

Go down

I feel like smacking my boss... Empty I feel like smacking my boss...

Post  alli Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:55 am

Since I went back on Effexor or Neurontin or Lyrica... I don't know which one is the culprit, I've gained 30 lbs. Now I've had to go out and buy new clothes, which I can't afford. Getting into my truck is much harder than before. I really noticed it this morning.ugh. I feel bad anough about how I look and not much is helping to get the weight off. I'm not overeating at all. One of my bosses has been a bit of a pain in nagging at me to lose the weight befor my son's wedding. Every morning he asks if I'm "doing my plan".

So I get into work this morning and he says "I brought my camera, do you want me to take your picture?" I look at my other boss and say Oh! How do I look? with a big smile. And then the other one says "I want you to see how you are going to look at the wedding". WTF???!!!!

I laughed it off but man, I am pissed! I can't help the weight. I don't really care if I am fat at the wedding. My concern is to get through all the festivities without a freakin migraine or a bad TN attack! I would love the lose 30 lbs between now and then but it ain't gonna happen. Not with increasing my meds so that I don't hurt so much. Geez! Some people!

Now before anyone starts saying harassment and such. I really love my bosses. I have an ideal work situtation for me and my medical issues. I've been here 13 years and we are really like a family. My boss is 70 years old and just doesn't get that he can be unfeeling at times. He wants me to look back in 10 years and be happy with what I looked like at the wedding. It doesn't excuse him being an unfeeling jerk at the moment but I'm letting most of it go because he is old and treats me like his kid.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

I feel like smacking my boss... Empty Re: I feel like smacking my boss...

Post  HeelerLady Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:00 am

I want to smack him too! Didn't his mother ever teach him that you NEVER comment on a lady's weight?

It's not like you haven't noticed the pounds creeping on and are more concerned with the pain than the weight. Grr.....

Here's hoping that you are pain free on the wedding day(s) and we know you are going to look smashing in the outfit that's being made for you (can't remember what it's called). Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 am

Alli,

First, the guy is a schmuck. Any man with part of a functioning brain knows never to make any type of comment like that.

Why do they have you both on Lyrica and Neurontin? Lyrica is a refined version of Neurontin and is stronger. I can guarantee both of those meds cause serious weight gain.

Effexor can cause some--I'd have my blood sugar and cholesterol checked aas Effexor can shoot up both.

Lyrica put at least 20lbs. on me and it's a bear to get rid of. Especially when your muscles really hurt.

Good luck!
mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  milo Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 am

One of my lovely male coworkers put his foot in it as well.

I had been working my butt off to loose weight. I was following a great diet plan and everyone at work knew it. I was sticking to it perfectly.

So one day someone brings in goodies and I had one.

Mid-bite the idiot says "I thought you were on a diet?"

I was mortified, but afterwards I knew it was well emaning...he is just your typical clueless guys. (not at all saying that all guys are...you know who you are)...lol
milo
milo

Back to top Go down

I feel like smacking my boss... Empty weight comments

Post  crt Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 am

I don't comment on other people's weight unless they ask me a direct question. And then, I'm diplomatic. I include males. Some of them are self-conscious about their weight too. There is a big, round guy at work. I'm sure that he has been losing weight. But I'm not going to bring it up unless he does. I applaud his efforts but I don't know him well enough to know if he likes the attention. I think a person's weight is only the business of the person and his/her doctor.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Even the best intentioned and nicest boss can still create a hostile work environment. Some people are natural born a$$ ho*%s and have to work extra hard to not be. IMHO he needs to work harder at it. Friend or not.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Alli, I did the exact same thing. I went on Doxeoin knowing that it causes weight gain and knowing that my son is getting married in a few months. When my youngest son graduated HS last year I went right from the auditorium to the Emergency Room. The combination of emotions and so many flashbulbs completely did me in. I'd rather be thirty pounds heavier and BE at the reception than be thin and stylin' sitting in the ER.

Even hubby and son's refuse to comment on my weight. If I ask "Do I look fat in this" they all say "NO, you look great". If I ask best friend the same question she'll tell me it's not the outfit for me.

I finally learned to phrase the question "Does this outfit make me look bigger than I really am?" Then hubby will give me a honest answer.

HUbby got skittish way back when I was pregnant with my first. I was standing in front of the mirror crying. He came up and hugged me and said "Don't worry Honey, you haven't gained that much was weight". I was crying about my skin. Poor guy.

Like CRT, I never comment on people's weight, up or down. Losing weight may be because of an illness or medication. I lost 40 lbs. on Topamax and got uncomfortable when people would ask me "How did you do it?" Most of the time I didn't know the person well enough to go into it, and when I would be honest more often than not I would get "Oh, I'm jealous. I wish I had migraines!" Then I'd get a chip on my shoulder.

Poor Alli, that's all that you need right now. Does you boss know what med's you're on? It's even more insensitive if he does. I don't share with the people I work with all that I'm on, unless I know there's a chance that it might make me witchy. Then I'll give them a head's up.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Yes, he knows what I am on. I keep my bosses up to date on my meds because of the personality changes that sometimes accompany them So they know I am acting *itchy cause of my meds not because they did anything. He just thinks that if I work out more the weight will come off.

My other boss and I talked about it and just concluded that he is just not getting it. I pretty much told him when he was leaving today to just stop.

Ah well, you just can't educate some people.

I on both Neurontin and Lyrica because I can't afford to increase Lyrica right now. Neurontin is a lot cheaper so I can take more of that easier than Lyrica.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:25 pm

since starting a combi of amitriptyline and a beta blocker my weight has crept upo ,despite the fact i go to the gym and try to watch what i eat, and what i dislike is people who are looking at you walk across the room/office/etc and can see you have gained weight but dont say anything at all, but still continue to look, and you just know they would of discussed it with other work collegues, i work with 35 other women so you can guess what its like sometimes!

i feel like saying, for gods sake just come out and say it, i know what you are thinking, and yes i have gained weight and this is mainly why,

i think i would feel more at ease if they would just say something.
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  moominamy Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Grrr. Just be thankful you're not married to him! My dad does this to my mum and we (three daughters) are always having a go at him about it.

Pregabalin made me gain more than any other med I've been on - about 18lb I think. But if it's working for you then what a trade off, pain or a few extra lbs. I know which I'd rather have. I hope you have a great time at the wedding.

Amy

moominamy

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:25 pm

At 70, he probably starts losing his mental abilities, looks like.
To boot he lacks manners, plain and simple.

I am so sorry you have to listen to this garbage, Alli. No matter what excuses/explanations other people have it always hurts and irritates when they do that.

I have no good advice except maybe stop being nice and sharing and start being more like "I do not wish to discuss this" in a cold voice...?
Usually such a response stops other in their tracks. Even 70 years old rude boss.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  momof2inpa Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 pm

i think i would have grabbed the camera and taken a picture of him...with the caption "just wanted you to see what an ass looks like."
momof2inpa
momof2inpa

Back to top Go down

Post  jeselle Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 am

Dear Alli,

Your lucky that you like your work but your boss's comments are not appropriate. Somone needs to tell him to stop it.

I too just went on depakote (which I had been on before and caused me to gain a ton of weight) but I am hoping it kills the pain. We make trade-offs.

Living in chronic pain puts us in a position to accept less than ideal situatioins. This is just one of them. Wishing you well.
jeselle
jeselle

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 am

Somebody did. I told two of the other ones that I was pissed and offended by what he said and there hasn't been a word said since. No asking if I'm "on my plan etc.

So harmony in the office again.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down