For fainters and barometer readers

Go down

For fainters and barometer readers Empty For fainters and barometer readers

Post  marion on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:59 pm

New, very probable diagnosis last week at ER. (The light bulb went on!!!)
Went up with faintness and really not feeling well, not m, but was given a very plausible explanation for my problems which I thought I'd share.
Meniere's disease. Fluid build up in the part of the ear that controls balance.
Had never heard of it before so my research after a few days is not strong, but here goes.
- migraine assosiation
- barometer effects some people very badly.
- some suffer "meniere's drop" sudden fall downs similar to a faint but it isn't
- causes neausea vomiting
- very easy to confuse ear symptoms with sinus (like I did)
- tinitus
etc etc
If you fit into any of above may be worth a look.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

For fainters and barometer readers Empty Re: For fainters and barometer readers

Post  HeelerLady on Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Marion,

Thanks for posting. I have a relative on Facebook (she's my dad's cousin's daughter - makes her a second cousin?) and she saw my M status post and we got to talking. She's affected with them too - although hers are a bit different (hormonal to a degree) but she also gets dizzy all of a sudden, will black out and fall forward. I passed this on to her as the doctors really don't know what is going on.

Seems the M scourge runs in the family - darn! But I'm also betting that it has to do with some other things from that side of the family. Oh well...at least I have someone to commiserate with.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 am

I am glad you had it diagnosed and did some reading on it. A couple people I know have Meniere's and seem to be managing it OK. I hope you can keep it in check and get the right treatment.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 am

I know of 2 people (one is my neighbour) who was first given the diag of migraine, but with further attacks and trips to gp it turned out to be menieres disease,

How do they treat people with menieres??
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  LG on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 am

you dont treat it. there is no cure..most of the time you eventually loose your hearing. tests are inconclusive to find out if you have it. Doctors wanted to test me for it but I opted out a while ago because I didn't experience vertigo. At this point, maybe I should be tested.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  marion on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm

The more I read, the more I wonder if this is "it".
I don't get virtago (as in classic room spin no idea where feet are), just very faint and not well. I think back to some of my worst migraines and now am wondering what was which.
The big difference to those who post here and how my migraines go, is that I take days, if not weeks to get over an m.
The symptoms of the meniere's say an attack can suddenly strike and then hang around taking days to get over.
Apparently the fluid in the ear can be measured to some degree and a fearly firm dx can be formed - if your measured while having an attack. I believe.
So how do you time having an attack? bit like trying to time a migraine to coincide with doctors appointment.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  LG on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 am

In a lot of people, fly in an airplane. The residual effects last hours if not days after the descent. Because there is a problem with the fluids in the inner ear, they get disrupted during heavy pressure changes such as flying on a commercial airliner. A lot of people who have menieres disease have tremendous problems flying.

I am wondering if measuring the fluid in the ear is actually a new test. I had looked into it a couple of years ago (I know, many things can change in a few short years) and I don't recall that being offered. I'd be interested in the research you come up with because I may be ill-informed since time has passed. However, another reason they didn't offer it at the time was because it would be so hard to know when an attack is coming. I believe there are other tests that will give a hint as to whether you have it or not. It has been a long time but I know there are..they just aren't conclusive. If you have insurance and have a feeling, it may be worth it to go through them just to see if the inner ear fluid test is necessary. That one sounds like a major pain in the butt!! I wonder how they collect the fluid..well, doesn't matter how..I'd just hope they would do it while I was HEAVILY sleeping Laughing I don't like things in my ear!!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  marion on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 am

Please don't quote me but I think the fluid is measured through an MRI scan. Calculations are made this much space should show this much fluid. Your cup should not be running over.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

For fainters and barometer readers Empty RE"for fainters and barometer readers

Post  magic48 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 pm

i have been very interested in this topic as well...i have been severely dizzy and problems with my balance now along with feeling like i am going to faint for about 2 weeks..my ears allways feel full of pressure some pain mostly on my right along with the headaches/migraines. i had a bout of this last year during the spring as well and the neurologist at that time was going to do some tests but never did...but symptoms all let up after about 4 weeks at that time...i do not get the vertigo either..i have an appt this friday so maybe someone will point me in the right direction...

magic
magic48
magic48

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:27 pm

You may find some answers here:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/index.html

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi,

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been having a great deal of trouble with fainting for the past few years. The current diagnosis is Neurocardiogenic syncope, but I know I have some of the symptoms listed as well. I will look into it. Unfortunately., treatment for chronic fainting is very difficult- no good treatment so far. But thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum