migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For USA Political Progressives ONLY

+9
Senna
crt
Olee
alli
lesherb
Paradox
LG
moominamy
Richard
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

For USA Political Progressives ONLY - Page 2 Empty Re: For USA Political Progressives ONLY

Post  Richard Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 pm

"One" ought to always agree with Risa or she will get you bad!! ROTFLMAO
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

For USA Political Progressives ONLY - Page 2 Empty Re: For USA Political Progressives ONLY

Post  lesherb Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 am

I am so glad you guys cleared that up! I am glad because I don't want anyone here to be unhappy but also, because I didn't understand the disagreement in the first place! LOL

And Risa, you are right on the money! The word "one" instead of the general term "you", could be a help in some of these situations. Yet, sometimes it is so difficult to use comfortably. Maybe if we use the word you but italicize it? you

I hope all have a great day!
£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:57 am

Yes, at first one is hampered in writing non-sexist, non-threatening language. But if one will consider how much better it is to write:

"One ought to see their doctor often, if they are a good doctor" than to write:

"You ought to see your doctor often if he is a good doctor"

I have tried for more than a year and it is getting easier ... and worth it. I am tired of the "he" automatically including the "she" in formal English. And writing "you" is usually asking for trouble unless you are addressing one individual. I also like the word "yall" for the second person plural - very useful.

But again, whatever Risa says, I shall joyfully do. LOL (Love you Risa)
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:09 am

Ah, but Richard, you've made a mistake. You posted this:

"One ought to see their doctor often, if they are a good doctor"

The mistake is using the word "they" or "their" for third person singular. It is plural for third person plural.

I can not think of a way to make your statement other than by switching the words around like this:

One ought to see one's doctor, if that doctor is a good one. LOL

Isn't English lots of fun?

£eslie
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am

I think I'm going to have to just worry about offense. Cause English and writing are a challenge most normal days and you two are making my head hurt. I can do it but when in M mode, typing a normal sentence can be a challenge

Now to find the guy that hit me across the face (right across the cheek and into my eye)...his name is gonna be mud Twisted Evil
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

Leslie,

One had a sensitivity issue that day. And that one would be me.

For all my bluster and bravado I'm very thin skinned. I get crushed if I think I hurt someone's feelings. Unfortunately some days I'm so anxious to beat up on myself, I imagine things. Cause I have nothing better to do. Rolling Eyes

Now, I'm positive I already posted this, but can't find it, so if you find it randomly floating around another post don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure out what it means!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:56 am

Leslie, dear friend, I have to disagree with YOU. (and no one else! LOL) Use of the third person plural in this instance is acceptable English - when used to avoid gender based words. I have seen it used all over the place - not certain, but I really do NOT think I am having a migraine moment! LOL

So, dear friend, YOU are wrong and I am right! ROTFLMAO (as if it really matters - remember, in 100 years, no one will even know this thread ever existed - or me for that matter)
Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Here's a video I want everyone to watch ... so as not to disturb the sesibilities of those migrainers who are homophobic and desire continued discrimination, I have posted it here. Please take a moment and watch my life in action:

Richard
Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Very moving and informative, Richard. Thank you for posting it so I can support the organization.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum