migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antiperspirant?

5 posters

Go down

Antiperspirant? Empty Antiperspirant?

Post  Seaine Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Ok so this might be a little far-fetched but you all know how it goes with migraine triggers.

I recently switched from the standard aluminum-containing deodorant/antiperspirant to an all-natural deodorant. It was really just on a whim - my friend's mom kept posting about it on Facebook and then I saw someone I know with an all-natural type. So next time I went to the grocery store I just picked out the cheapest one to try.

Now, about two weeks later, it seems like my migraines have suddenly become much less frequent and less severe with no explanation. Could it be that regular antiperspirant can exacerbate migraines?? I did a quick online search but only found one or two people saying it was a trigger for them (in contrast, if I search for food coloring/migraines I get tons of hits).

Does anyone here on the off chance use an all-natural deodorant?
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Antiperspirant? Empty Re: Antiperspirant?

Post  Kem10 Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:39 am

I use an aluminum free deodorant but not sure I would call it all natural. Have tried those crystal "all natural" ones in the past but they don't seem to work against odor for me. Still if the switch helps you, go for it!

Personally, I seem to go through periods of relatively mild and fewer migraines followed by stronger and daily migraines followed by fewer and milder followed by stronger and daily...and on and on. Can't say I've found anything that really makes much difference yet.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:05 am

Thanks, I do wonder if it's a coincidence. But for me daily migraines are the norm without any periods of relief. Since I avoid all my food triggers and have gotten those ear piercings, the severity is pretty mild and I may have a month where I have around 27 migraines instead of daily but that's about as good as it gets. This past two weeks it's been more like 48-56 hours inbetween migraines. It's really strange to wake up with a clear head, after lunch still feel fine, go to bed no headache, and wake up the next morning with still no headache! I keep actually wondering when it will come and it doesn't. So now I've been searching for the reason and the deodorant is the only thing I've changed!
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:31 am

It is wonderful news that it is helping you so much. What kind of natural deodorant are you using? Maybe I will try switching. If posting the brand is against the rules, just send me a PM. Thanks.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:30 am

I just picked up the brand "Jason" at the local Publix. I hear a lot of people complaining that various natural kinds don't work but it seems fine to me. Just don't expect it to prevent you from sweating because it doesn't do that!
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks Seaine. I have been using Tom's of Maine but might try switching just to see if it helps.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:38 pm

I have also heard people rave about Native brand, which I didn't see in the store.

Unfortunately I don't know if the effect is still happening - I went to get an eye exam and for the first time in my life got my eyes dilated. I'm pretty sure the drops had food coloring since, as I saw them go into my eyeballs, they were bright neon yellow. Shocked So now I've had pretty moderate migraines for three days. On top of that, the doctor said my optic nerves were very strange looking and now I get to go back for more tests. Crying or Very sad
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Seaine - Sorry you are going through that. In the future you may look for an eye doctor who uses Optomap. Mine (and many others) now do that as an alternative to dilation. They can take a picture of the back of your eye somehow.

However, I think if that spots a potential issue I have heard of them doing a follow up exam with dilation. Typically eye insurance doesn't cover Optomap, but my clinic only charges $20 or $30, and I only go in every 2 years. I've actually never had my eyes dilated.

I hope you don't have to get your eyes dilated again / it doesn't cause a bad migraine cycle again. Might you be able to pre-treat? Such as with a long acting Triptan, or even a steroid pack? I am very sensitive to having my constant NDPH headache being exacerbated by things, even treatments for it (like Botox - I'm just getting over 2+ months of increased pain from it). Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks, I may have to ask for Optomap in the future, or if they have drops that aren't colored. I'm thinking maybe they won't need to dilate my eyes for the next tests because it should be a peripheral vision test and a test that measures the ability of my eye to drain fluid which involves pressing an object up to it. I can pre-treat if I know I accidentally ate food coloring. I usually drink a lot of caffeine before the migraine comes and it makes a big difference.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  lorente Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Just fyi to those of you who use "natural" deodorants. I use them, too, but before I apply the deo, I apply witch hazel with a cotton round, then apply the deo after the witch hazel dries. Witch hazel is an astringent and helps prevent or cuts down on sweating. It's a natural product and costs about $6 for a bottle that will last months.

lorente

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Update: The Jason brand gave me a rash so I had to stop using it.

The next one I tried was Alvera. It worked great and the rash immediately disappeared, however my migraines went right back up to daily. I guess aluminum may not be the culprit, or not the only culprit?

So after that I ordered Native online. It works great, no rash, and migraines went back down again. I kept track of days in March that I took Imitrex and found that there were 10 days in the month that I didn't need to take any migraine medicine. A great finding especially considering I didn't use Native the whole time and had a setback with the Alvera brand.

I just checked the ingredients and Native does not have witch hazel. But I remember the Alvera brand did. I wish I knew which ingredient in Alvera caused the migraines to come back but there's too many to narrow it down.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 pm

I use an aluminum free deodorant too. I found a shop on etsy I really like, and her products/work/! She uses a bacteria as part of her formula; it's designed to crowd out the bacteria that cause you to have body odor. I'd been struggling with the clinical strength deodorant/antiperspirants not managing my smell, so I looked for something that worked differently. I also love that it doesn't bother my head our my body (I've got really sensitive skin).

If the link isn't allowed, please either let me know and I'll remove it, or delete it. I do not sell this, nor do I make any type of money from recommending it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/187330455/finally-a-natural-deodorant-that?ref=shop_home_active_15

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum