migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiorocet Usage

+3
sailingmuffin
tortoisegirl
flo_02472
7 posters

Go down

Fiorocet Usage Empty Fiorocet Usage

Post  flo_02472 Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Has ANYONE USED THE DRUG OVER TIME? DID YOU FEEL ADDICTED TO THE DRUG?  DID YOU GET RELIEF FROM FROM THE HEADACHE THE FIRST TIME YOU TOOK A FIOROCET PILL?  DID THE PILL BOTHER YOUR STOMACH OR GI TRACK?  I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME REPLIES.  THANX, FLO Smile Razz

flo_02472

Back to top Go down

Fiorocet Usage Empty Re: Fiorocet Usage

Post  tortoisegirl Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:11 am

I've tried Fioricet and Fioricet with Codeine, many years ago. I did not have any addiction problems, but with any analgesic (especially those with opioids), it is definitely a risk. However, the risk is significantly reduced when taking analgesics for legitimate pain and if the patient doesn't have a history of addiction to anything else.

I didn't find the regular Fioricet helpful, but with the Codeine it was. After awhile I was switched to Tylenol with Codeine as I wasn't getting any relief from the added ingredients in the Fioricet (caffeine and Butalbital, a barbituate), and the caffeine wasn't always desirable. Everyone is different though.

It didn't bother my stomach, but its always possible. If you have any side effects with a medication or its not effective, definitely let your doctor know, as there are many other options.

Are you taking this for migraine? Have you tried Triptans? Typically these combination analgesics are not first line medications as they are not as effective and have a higher potential for rebound.

Due to the risk of analgesic rebound it is typically recommended to limit their use to 2-3 days a week (that goes for all meds with the same ingredient, such as the Acetaminophen/Tylenol in this case). Best wishes.

(as a side note, please don't use caps; its difficult to read and can be construed as yelling online)

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Fiorocet Usage Empty fiorocwt Usage

Post  flo_02472 Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:46 pm

The drug has always been "A Hiy or Miss" for my daily headaches. I do take Sumatriptan in nasal form when the headches turn migraine. However, Sumatriptan is as expensive as Imitrex pills. I pay almost $100.for a 6 pack of nasal sprays. The cost has jumped from $40 to $70 to $98/6 pkg. Dug companies are very greedy!! Smile Flo

flo_02472

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi,

It is sort of hit or miss for me as well. It does help for a while. It didn't bother my stomach. It is worth a try. I hope it helps.

Pain free days
Sailing
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  bdbr Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:11 pm

I've used generic Fiorocet several times. It didn't have significant effect, and only worked at all if I took it at the first hint of migraine. I've stopped using it. I didn't use it enough to have addiction issues.

Did you try the pill forms of Sumatriptan? Those are much more inexpensive - you can get them from Costco or Healthwarehouse for $10-20 for 9 pills without insurance. They don't work very well when the migraine is full-blown, but a half of a 100mg pill along with two Aleve often works for me if the migraine isn't far along. Insurance companies often only cover four headaches a month which isn't enough for many of us, so I don't even bother with insurance. I'd be more than happy to only have four a month!

bdbr

Back to top Go down

Fiorocet Usage Empty Re: Fiorcet Usage

Post  Cindy*W Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 am

I used it for many years and it worked great for me. Never had any trouble stopping the med and no issues that I can remember.
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am

I also used Fiornal (which has aspirin rather than tylenol) for many years before Imitrex was approved in the US. It worked fairly well and I had no trouble cutting back to one or two capsules per month or less, for break through pain.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Fiorocet Usage Empty Fiorcet

Post  rileyoday Tue May 17, 2016 6:15 pm

I used fiorcet for a month. It was helping but the M/HA would return so I would take another.. this caused a HA right between the eyes.

I knew I had to wean off and it was difficult. You may tolerate it. Mine came from a neuro. I did not mention the overuse to him.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down