migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleepless again

+2
tortoisegirl
Migrainegirl
6 posters

Go down

Sleepless again Empty Sleepless again

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:33 am

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping when you have a migraine?  There is nothing more I would like to  do than sleep, but I lie here another night with no chance in sight. When I have a migraine it seems like every nerve is on high alert. I usually fall asleep very quickly, but not when I have a migraine. It is very aggravating because I know how important regular sleep is.

Please share if you have any solutions for this.  So far my Tylenol PM is doing nothing.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Sleepless again Empty Re: Sleepless again

Post  tortoisegirl Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Me too. With severe headache or migraine I have worse insomnia, more awakenings, and more sleep disturbances (I have a limb movement disorder and mild apnea). For sleep (and my neck) I take the muscle relaxer Tizanadine/Zanaflex nightly. I also have Ambien as needed. I haven't had success with Melatonin, but some folks do. There are also otc sleep aids without a pain reliever.

I'd talk to your doctor about something as needed to help you sleep during these times, either otc or rx. I hope you get some relief. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:15 am

Sleeplessness is an issue for me also even when I don't have a migraine. I suspect it is from hormone fluctuation as are the migraines.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:00 pm

I can't fall asleep with a migraine until I take my Imitrex, then I pass right out! Sorry, I don't have another solution
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Even with the Triptan's I feel wired and unable to sleep. The hot flashes at night don't help either. I am going to try black kohosh. Has anyone tried that herbal supplement?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:01 am

I am 62 years old and when I am taking Imitrex that day I have trouble staying asleep. Once I stop taking Imitrex and stick with pain meds I can sleep through the night. Everyone is different so maybe making a food/meds diary will help and you might figure out what is causing the lack of sleep. My girlfriend takes melatonin and it has helped her. Good luck and I feel you. I am up often during the night. I have books and magazines piled on my bed to read when this happens.

kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:56 pm

So sorry to hear that you are having sleep issues.

I am a member of that club as well.

Have issues falling and staying asleep and have tried tons of meds such as Ambien, muscle relaxers, benzos(just to name a few) with little to no success.

My Doctor gave me Hydroxyzine to see if it would help with nausea and it has been a life saver for me.

I take 1-2 50mg pills at bedtime and usually fall asleep within an hour and even if a noise wakes me up or I have to go pee, I can lay down and fall right back to sleep.

Been taking them for the last 10 years and they work as well today as they did on day one.

Doctor says they are completely safe too and not expensive.

I don't know what I will do if they ever stop making them!

Used to get Vistaril for years with a pain shot when my migraine was out of control for days and there were shortages of it many times which sucked for me because I get horrible Akathesia from Reglan, Compazine, Phenergan, and Ativan so had to have Vistaril.

Now I have to use Benadryl which is OK but not as effective  because the Docs here say they can no longer find it.

Anyway, that's what works for me.

Hope you can find something soon that works for you.

For me, lack of sleep can put me in a migraine cycle from hell.

Take care.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum