migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

phantom smell

+4
Cathy
Seaine
micheletroyer
Sprout 87
8 posters

Go down

phantom smell Empty phantom smell

Post  Sprout 87 Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Does anyone else here get phantom smells? I know it's not a pressing issue but it is very annoying. I don't always get one before a migraine & I don't always get a migraine after the smell. Sometimes it lasts up to 2 weeks. Nothing unpleasant, in fact, more sickening sweet. Nobody seems to be able to tell me much about it.

Sprout 87

Back to top Go down

phantom smell Empty Re: Phantom smell

Post  micheletroyer Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I sometimes smell roses right before I get a M...just part of the aura, says my neuro.  Whenever I smell roses, I know it's going to be a bad one, and make an appointment with my NP.

Didn't smell roses today, but have a 9/10 mig, so going to the doc who oversees my NP.  I'm allergic to him, but he was the only one that had an appointment available.

Pain free days for all,
Michele
micheletroyer
micheletroyer

Back to top Go down

phantom smell Empty Re: phantom smell

Post  Sprout 87 Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Sorry you're having a bad one today. If I went to the doctor every time I have a bad one I'd be there 2 or 3 times a week. This is day 5 of my smell & the pain comes and goes. What's really weird is that I don't have any other type of aura. And the smell isn't definitive indication of a bad one so can't rely on it to do some kind of preventative action.

Sprout 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 am

I used to have the phantom smell but I associated it more with my migraine medicine than with the migraine. I believe I was taking Frova at the time but it may have been a different triptan. It's been years and years since I got the phantom smell. It would sometimes be like hotdogs, or fruity toothpaste, or rotting food. It never lasted more than an hour or two.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sprout 87 Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 am

I don't take any preventative medicines so that can't be it. I'm on day 7. Don't always get it & don't always get the pain either although, right now, I'd be hard pressed to know about the pain as it is constant.

Sprout 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am

I don't get a phantom smell exactly but I get smells. I don't know how to explain it other than smells get stuck in my brain. If there is a strange smell, maybe some mold in my flower bed or my garbage disposal gets funky or something or weird perfume, I will smell it for days even when I'm not around it. I notice it comes up when there is no chance that smell is there. And it happens with other smells. Really strange.

I never heard anyone else mention this kind of weird continuing smell. I guess I'm just in a class by myself but not in a good way. No

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Phantom smells are definitely a type of aura, just like some people get visual auras. For me it's weird pains in my ear. Something about migraines screws up our normal sensory pathways. I suspect inflammation and very specific nerves have something to do with it, but who really knows?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

phantom smell Empty phantom smell

Post  dizzyflower Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:29 am

i get phantom smells that go when the m goes. Mine are not nice and I end up checking the drains, pets feet and the bottom of shoes. Tolerance of real strong smells is at zero too and even delicate smells are too strong as if the volume is turned up. I get a lot of different aura symptoms.

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  mattie Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:01 am

I get them but it isn't always associated with a migraine. Mine is usually the smell of smoke. Sometimes in the middle of the night I will be up trying to find it thinking the house is on fire. It can be a cause of panic.

mattie

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 am

I almost always smell either a strange metallic, copper odor or the smell they add to natural gas before I get a migraine. It goes away as the migraine comes on. Made me think, before I was diagnosed, that I was having stroke.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down