migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opthalmology Appointment Tomorrow

3 posters

Go down

Opthalmology Appointment Tomorrow Empty Opthalmology Appointment Tomorrow

Post  trutland Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Heading off to the Ophthalmologist tomorrow as recommended by my doc....check eye pressure, etc. Any migraineurs on this forum been before? What can I expect?

Years ago, immediately prior to my migraines, I had some strange symptoms associated with my left eye....severe pain upon eye movement, painful to look at light, etc. Pain went away after a few weeks and never returned but then the migraines started shortly thereafter. May be purely coincidental.

Thanks!

trutland
trutland

Back to top Go down

Opthalmology Appointment Tomorrow Empty Re: Opthalmology Appointment Tomorrow

Post  dcook60 Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:04 am

hi trutland,

an ophthalmology appointment is a very good thing at any age. i hope you do mention those strange symptoms you had years ago; they might be significant, even though no longer present.

unless your doctor has you do a visual field test, you likely won't trigger a migraine from the testing that's done. if you are sensitive to drugs at all, you can request 1/2 dose of the drops they use for numbing and dilation, so your pressure and optic nerves can be observed.

i am highly sensitive to nearly everything on the planet, and i haven't had trouble with these tests. and they don't hurt at all; just minor stinging for a minute from the drops.

at age 72, i have now had both eyes' cataracts removed. piece of cake, and now i can see fine without glasses, though i had worn them since the age of 10. wheeee!! let us know how it went for you. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  trutland Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks!

It went well, actually....I'm just getting my vision back...haha. Everything checked out fine and like you said, only a little stinging from the drops.

I started getting a headache about ten minutes in, but I think it was because I was so dizzy from my vision being so blurry, because I seem to be fine now.

Vision was perfect, optic nerves looked great....

Other than a big migraine yesterday, I've had a nice run of pain free days. Recently increased my topamax dose to 100 mg per day and have had less headaches but more side effects. Next appt with GP in Jan.

Tara
trutland
trutland

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm

About a couple of years ago, when they placed the drops in eyes for the glaucoma test, the chronic headache immediately got worse and I got dizzy. Or was it the bright light?

Since, then I've had the same test every four months, but I have not experienced the increase in headache pain level or the dizziness.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  trutland Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Martin, I'm not sure, but the migraine returned full force a few hours ago. I took my rescue meds and took a nap and I'm ok now, but foggy. Do you have the testing regularly to look for the glaucoma spots related to migraine?

The ophthalmologist mentioned those, but said he didn't see evidence of any. Smile

trutland
trutland

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm

The doctor said it was not related to the headaches. My headaches are not migraines, but is a chronic daily headache, always on, but vary only in intensity. However, I have some migraine symptoms.

The glaucoma test is a pressure test. The pressure is higher than normal. There is no need for medication, since my eyes can take the additional pressure. But, the doctor does want to test every four months, just to make sure the pressure does not get higher.

Martin

Last edited by mxgo on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down