migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USA Education - I need educating

4 posters

Go down

USA Education - I need educating Empty USA Education - I need educating

Post  marion Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 pm

Can someone explain the levels of US education? Like what is freshman year? I hear of people going to college then uni - is college the last year of high school/prep for uni?

In Australia we have Prep at 4 years old (aka kindy or pre-school), then primary school Grades 1-7 (5-11 years old), then high school Grades 8-12 (12-16 years old), then University (17 to however long it takes.) You must have Grade 12 and a TE score (an elective exam at high school) to get into uni.

There are slight variations in Australia between states, but that's basically it.

marion
marion

Back to top Go down

USA Education - I need educating Empty Re: USA Education - I need educating

Post  Brenda Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:17 am

Sure...

Elementary school is kindergarten and Grades 1-5 or 1-6 depending on the school district.
Middle school or Intermediate school is Grades 6-8 or 7-8 depending on the school district.
High School or Senior High is Grades 9-12 which is also called Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, and Senior.
University is the same thing as College There are 2 year colleges and 4 year colleges. These students are also called Freshman, Sophmore, Junior and Senior.
Some paths of study require further education for professionals.... like doctors, lawyers, etc.

I hope that helps. Not sure how well I explained it. Migraine brain today. lol
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 pm

Uh.. all is revealed. Didn't know that freshman etc applied to both high school and uni. Makes more sense now.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Middle school used to be called Jr High and in some places in covered grades 7-9. Just to make things more confusing!

Oh yeah, University or College has 3 levels of degrees, BA or BS (Bachelors); MA or MS (Masters); PhD (doctorate)

I think there are a few people here that have PhDs, several have Bachelors and Masters degrees. It's astonishing that we've been able to get through school in spite of the migraines. Not that it's doing me much good! I have an MS, Master of Science, yet I work for a non-profit where I earn less than many entry level office jobs. Rolling Eyes

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Me too, Chris. My job requires a Masters but working in the non profit sector...well, I knew I wasn't going to make big bucks.

Thankfully my work paid for my Masters Degree. It would have cost $38,000 out of pocket if they hadnt. I wouldnt have been able to do it.

But, on the other hand, I had to make a commitment to work, go to school, plus care for my family ( when my youngest was special needs). I look back now and have no idea how I did it. But I'm so glad I did. Since I'm management now my hours are more flexible and I can make up time I miss on the week ends, or work from home. That degree has saved my job!
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum