migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homeopathy...?

3 posters

Go down

Homeopathy...? Empty Homeopathy...?

Post  Mini Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 am

There is lots of talk about usefulness of homeopathy, in UK lately.

Apparently some recent studies were showing that it is not effective enough, so our NHS has began to stop paying for it (although in some areas it is still funded, as a valid treatment for patients).

I have never tried it myself, but recently I spoke to someone who apparantly benefited greatly - and is great believer in homeopathy.
She was so enthusiastic, that I was beginning to wonder if it is not worth giving it a try - after all this is one treatment that is not likely to give you any serious s/e - the way most medicines do.

I still have my doubts so I wonder if anyone here has experince of getting any relief from homeopathy, and if so, did you try it for migraine, or something else?
What do you think about homeopathy.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Homeopathy...? Empty Re: Homeopathy...?

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 am

I had a friend when my girls were young that had really studied Homeopathy. She was very good at it and never gave her 4 kids any ki nd of regular medicine. She treated my older daughter after she had a really bad case of the Chicken Pox.

It had gotten into her digestive tract and she was sick for a whole summer. She went from 40 lbs to 30 lbs and her Ped. didnt notice! Anyway, my friend asked if she could help, so I let her. Within 3 days my daughter was well. She hadnt eaten without feeling sick or vomiting for 2 months.

However, my friend kept insisting she could treat my migraines. I used everything she could come up with, no help at all. So, I would give it a try, but with low expectations. Remember that with Homeopathy, you get worse before you get better sometimes.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:58 am

Thank you Cindy, this is very helpful.
I suspected that in a way. Maybe you get better results in case of certain conditions but, as we know already, migraine proves to be not very responsive to most alternative treatmens.

I did not know that you get worse before you get better saying, but your daughter got quite quick result so this is great. I am very pleased she got better, anyway.

MY understanding was that you either get better, or not, but that with homeopathy there are no s/effects either way. I obviously do not know enough.

I rather liked the idea, that there is something that will not cause s/effects, since I usually get them with conventional medicine .
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:11 am

Definately worth a try but yes, no guarantees. I've tried many different ones for Migraines and not had any relief however someone I know does get some symptomatic relief from a Neuroheel product by Heel. I use a homeopathic for hayfever relief and that actually helps me. There's no long term side effects with homeopathic stuff and you can stop at any time. The Naturopath that I say recommends taking 1 bottle and if you notice no difference, then its not going to work for you. Good theory in my opinion although sometimes you do need to be on stuff for a little longer to see the benefits. Dosage is important too and sometimes it can be worth starting on a low dose for your body to adjust (I have had upset stomach from going in too hard and fast with some stuff). Good luck!
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:30 pm

It sounds as if your Naturopath is very honest, Lissy. Many such practicioners are not telling the truth in order to get more money for further consultations, or sell more products to a client.
This was the case with a well known allergy "expert" in my case. IN the end I did elimination diet all by myself and realised that I have food sensitivity, causing migraines, but food sensitivity is NOT the same as allergy. They are completely different things.

But coming back to homeopathy, I think we all agree, that we have diferent responses to the same treatments, which might also depends on what other medicines we are taking at the same time. I will try to talk to my GP one of them is quite good in terms of trying new things, but most UK GPs are rather conservative in their approach.
If I can get in on NHS I might try it, but probably not otherwise. We have excellent homeopathic hospital in London, so this is probably the best place. But I am not sure how long NHS is going to support it.

How is the weather in Western Australia - you really had a very rough year, or two in Australia, I am so sorry it never seem to end. I hope that you were not too affected Lissy. Thank you for your feedback.
Keep safe.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:26 am

Hi Mini

Yes, I've definately found a very honest and caring Naturopath, hard to find these days but they do exist! Yes, the average GP is not too interested in homeopathic or natural medicine. Its a shame really because traditional meds don't always work (as we all know) so you'd think they would be interested in alternatives.

Well the weather has been very hot over here in WA for a very long time - temps 35-38 degrees C for the last week and same forcast for next week. No rest in site and its staying very warm over night as well. Really hoping for some cooler weather soon as its dangerous conditions for fires. We had some dreadful fires a while back which damaged over 70 homes - some wiped out. I was very lucky not to be too near from them. I'm finding it difficult to stay hydrated as well with all this heat - something that's not helping my migraines.
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 am

I have been reading about the fires in W Australia, Lissy, and this made me think about you. I am very glad it has missed you area, but it must have beens scary, all the same.

I cannot even imagine such high temperatures now, however I have experinced them in the past during my asiatic travels, and I must say that for me the heat is very, very bad for my migraines, so I empathise with you having to bear it, even at night.
NO wonder it is so difficult for you to get a proper relief from pain.

I am sure you know all the tricks for cooling down, but I find that having a damp towel and rubbing hands and feet from time to time, really helps to lower the body temperature, by process of evaporation on the skin.
I hope the weather will get cooler for you,soon
Mini
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down