migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pregnant and migrainey

4 posters

Go down

Pregnant and migrainey Empty Pregnant and migrainey

Post  lizholmesod Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:32 am

I know this one comes up every now and again... I'm 9 weeks pregnant (hurrah!) but migraines have increased massively (booo).

I know this can happen, particularly in 1st trimester. I know they can get better later on, I know that some get worse. Will just have to wait and see.

The thing that's bugging me is that my GP, midwife and now Obstetrician want to get me off my preventatives. I've been very careful, I'm on as low a dose as I can cope with, I've consulted with my previous GP, other midwives, and know many others on the same drugs who've had healthy pregnancies.

I think the principal issue is that I take an anti-depressant as a preventative (dosulepin, same family as amitriptyline etc). They see the words 'anti-depressant', and alarm bells go off. I can't seem to get them to understand that I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!

I'm not depressive. I'm not anxious. I'm not a flibbertigibbet - I'm pregnant and I suffer from crippling migraines, which are exponentially worse these past few weeks. I fear I'm in for a hard time stating my case. I'm already feeling horrendously sick with preg hormones, AND sick with migraine, so could really do with a break! Roll on 2nd trimester (fingers crossed for one of those miraculous migraine-free phases)...

Any advice?
LHx

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Pregnant and migrainey Empty Re: Pregnant and migrainey

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Ask them if you can take a natural progesterone. That is what typically helps migraines in pregnancy. By upping the levels now, you may be able to drop off the other drug. It may be worth discussing the possibility.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:26 pm

I don't know. Congrats on your pregnancy!!!! Very Happy I was able to take my pain medication on a limited basis with no issues. I insisted on having my OBGYN, and not a midwife or other Dr in the practice. I had been with him for years and he knew my issues. I also consulted with my Neuro in a regular basis and I got my Botox the entire time I was pregnant.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

I can't offer any advice unfortunately but C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down