migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blurred vision - is this aura?

5 posters

Go down

Blurred vision - is this aura? Empty Blurred vision - is this aura?

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 pm

I've been noticing that lately before things get worse (I say this because I always have a M - severity level varies) my vision gets weird. What I mean is that I will sometimes get double, text will blur, close range won't focus (but distance will at the same time). I also have other symptoms that signal it's about to be a miserable day (sound sensitive, nausea, facial pain) but noticed that bad ones bring the vision issues on.

I know this isn't classic aura but it's a bit concerning. I can see fine when things are low grade so I don't think my vision itself has changed. Just wondering if this happens to others? I guess it a way it's a good thing - if things are weird with my vision I work from home rather than attempting to drive. Just a bit concerned that this may be really bad...
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Blurred vision - is this aura? Empty Re: Blurred vision - is this aura?

Post  Senna Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes, such strange symptoms are often a part of a process of predrome before the migraine strikes.
I notice similar changes, and others, like speech and writing gets difficult, the letters jump on the page, I drop things etc. The worst is the sense of smells intensifies and I can even smell things that do not exist (at least nto to other people). IT can also include hunger or craving for carbohydrate foods and sugar.

Nowaydays I sometimes also get painless migraines when I only get the predrome symptoms for a day or two, but the pain does not follow. It is still very unpleasant but not nearly as bad as living with pain itself.
I know all this is all rather unpleasant but knowing that it is part of migraine attack, makes you feel that this is temporary and it will soon go away.
Senna

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Yes, I get this. I'll try lining up something to type and I'll completely miss the paper, over and over again. It's very frustrating and disconcerting.

How long does it usually last? I had a change in my auras a couple weeks ago and my eye Dr. made me come in and have my eyes dilated. He said aura's can also mimic detached retina's and other eye problems. He said a good rule of thumb is if it goes away in about 20 min.-1 hour it's probably an aura. If it lasts longer than that get it checked out.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Like you, Becky, I have migraine pain daily. I get the blurry vision 4-5 days of the week and it lasts varying lengths of time. I have difficulties reading most of the time, if not caused by the blurry vision, then by the escalating pain caused by reading. Seems like I can't win.

This seems to have gotten worse as time goes on.

Senna, I also get the extreme heightened sense of smell. Sometimes I think it's the body's compensation for the limitations caused by the migraine. Sort of like that seen by the blind or mute when one of their other senses is more acute.

Becky flower scratch
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:14 pm

It doesn't last more than 20 minutes or so at the most...it just can happen several times a day. It's more annoying than anything else but also is a signal that I should follow my instincts. Usually I'm debating going to work but it tips the scale to staying home.

I also find that reading anything is a challenge. Blocks of text, very hard to read and my comprehension is gone. Guess the symptoms have changed - not sure which is worse...light sensitivity or this, because it's either/or.

Thanks for the feedback ladies. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:16 am

As my name implies - I'm new to all of this but as with you what they are telling me are migraines - mine begin with vison issues/ blurry, etc, heightened sense of smell, vertigo or something similar, near fainting/passing out, numbness, tingling, weakness, light/sound sensitivity, heart palps, etc. Headache is only an after effect of the long list of neuro symptoms i'm getting if I get a headache at all (but when I do - it's a good one!). The good thing about the vision issue(s) or aura is that at lease I know what will follow so i've come to look at it as a warning of what's to come!

I'm glad to have found this site. I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. It's good to have found so many people that can understand where i'm coming from and what i'm feeling.

Debbie
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  Senna Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am

Welcome to our forum Debbie.
WE all think at times that we are getting mad, then we discover that there are thousands and thousands other people all over the world, who feel like this - they are called migraneurs.

It is a relief to find out that you are not the only one. It is a constant learning process, then we find the best way to deal with this condition - for each person it is different and we learn best how to cope with the help of other people, who suffer in the same way.
Senna

Last edited by Senna on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Senna

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:36 am

Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. Smile I know, migraines can be so isolating and not many others really understand what it's like to deal with these things. And at times it does feel like you are losing your mind - all the strange sensations and odd ball neurological features.

My symptoms have recently begun to change and just wondering what was going on as the vision ones are scary. I've always been a light and sound sensitive followed by nausea and head pain person. Now it's weird vision things, facial pain, tooth pain, odd numbness and other strange things. The others I knew were related to the M as others had described them, the vision ones are new, well new to me.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 am

Thanks Sienna and Becky,

I've suffered these "episodes" for a couple of years now only once every couple months or so beginning with the visual disturbances usually between 9:00 and 10:00 am while at work and ending with heart palpitations/racing heart and having to get up and walk around/pace and being exhausted and sometimes a headache. My blood sugar was tested as was my thyroid. Everything came back great. Fast forward to about 5 weeks ago. I had a bad one of these episodes on a Friday - same time of day - at work. Another episode on a Sunday afteroon at a friends house. Went to the doctor on Monday and was given Z-pack for a sinus infection and set up with an appointment with a cardiologist for Thursday. Had a triple episode at work on Wednesday and was driven home (never had a double or triple episode before). Episode never completely went away and had additional neurological symptoms of weakness of arms and legs, tingling of the head (all over), head pressure (back of head), trouble speaking and memory/recall issues. Went to cardiologist on Thursday - said heart looked good but sent me for MRI and set appointments for holter monitor and neurologist. Had horrible episode Thursday night (never had night episode before) that landed me in the hospital until the following Tuesday. Had all heart/cardio and neurological testing done while in the hospital. Upon follow up visits the following Wednesday was told any heart issues were only a result of what was happening neurologically. Was not at all happy with neurologist - who hadn't even even looked at anything so set appointment with another neurologist for a week from the following Monday. Suffered "episodes" of varying strength constantly. Was determined probably a form of basilar migraine and/or basilar insufficiency. "Oh - and by the way - you have a brain tumor" OMG! Like it was no big deal! I still have so many questions. . .

Sorry for the book and thanks for listening. Sorry for stealing your thread. It just feels so good to share for once!

Debbie
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

Debbie,

Thanks for sharing and don't worry about thread hi-jacking. Smile We all do it a bit and in many ways.

How terrifying about everything! I want to smack your doctors. Twisted Evil I wake up with one of these darn things everyday and the symptoms can vary. Many days I can do anything but some days (like today) I'm at home avoiding people and thankfully able to work. I hope you get some answers to things soon and do keep searching for the right doctor. The right doctor makes all the difference and you are the patient (you are the reason they are in business).

Adding you to my thoughts and prayers,

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down