migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ordered dresses for son's wedding

+7
survivor
Anna's Mom
CluelessKitty
LG
alli
HeelerLady
Paradox
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ordered dresses for son's wedding Empty Ordered dresses for son's wedding

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 pm

I finally buckled down and ordered a couple dresses for my son's wedding. It will boil down to which one fits the best.

My future DIL gave me carte blanche to get what I want so that made it easier.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3075502?search=true&searchtype=keywordsearch

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3082356?search=true&searchtype=keywordsearch
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Ordered dresses for son's wedding Empty Re: Ordered dresses for son's wedding

Post  HeelerLady Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Oohh. My favorite was the blue one - I liked the lines of it. Smile

You are a braver woman than I'll ever be. I can't ever fathom ordering clothes on line just because when I go into a store...I'm never the size I think I am.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:26 pm

I like the blue one too. Is it blowing you away how fast this is coming up? Just 2 more months! eeeeeee!

My future DIL's mother is in India right now getting our Salwar Kurtas for the Austin ceremony. Mine will look similar to this. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I might wear it for the San Francisco ceremony or I might get something else....what to do???

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:33 pm

That's STUNNING, Alli!

It would help if I didn't hate to shop so much. I usually end up buying un-needed perfume because it always fits. pig
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:40 pm

I love the black one, Charlotte.

I also LOVE your outfit Alli. I bet it would flatter any figure. I love those outfits for that reason, plus the detail and beading on it always looks so gorgeous and usually they are comfy. Wink

Maybe we can get some pictures of you ladies in the dresses when the weddings come around?
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Both dresses are beautiful! love'em!!

ps - what's wrong with extra perfume Smile

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 pm

ps - what's wrong with extra perfume

Cause cheap perfume gives me a headache. Only the expensive stuff will do. Of course. And then I HAVE to get the matching bubble bath, or oil, or milk bath. My bathroom looks like a spa.

My favorite inexpensive bath product isn't sold in the US. By the time I purchase it from the UK it's not so inexpensive anymore.

Well, I'll be dipped. I just looked it up online and I can buy it off Amazon now. Yippee! It's called Fenjal Classique Bath Oil.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:30 pm

So fun to see all the pics Smile

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Ordered dresses for son's wedding Empty MOG dress

Post  survivor Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Hello, all. This is the first time I have posted on the "new" site but am FB friends w/ several of you.

I wanted to post on this topic so after lurking for 3 months I registered!

My second son is getting married next month. I like the blue dress but I don't think I could pull that off. Here is what I am considering.

http://butterick.mccall.com/b3843-products-2309.php?page_id=152

I am making the dress on the right in this fabric.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/zoomImagedetail.jsp?PRODID=6900781&imageType=m&itemType=sku

In my opinion it is hard being the MOG because you don't want to look too old but you can't outshine the bride or her mom. My minister's wife told me w/ my oldest that the MOG was to "wear beige and keep her mouth shut." I told both of the girls they should pick a different groom if that is what they expect!

Good luck w/ your dresses and get comfortable shoes!!

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:01 pm

I like BOTH the patterns. Are you going with the wrap around, or the sleeveless?

I wish I was a good seamstress to pull it off. About the only thing I'm good at is flannel shirts (I'm quite OCD about it, all the plaids have to line up from the collar, tho the yoke, to the back. Way to much time and effort spent).

I guess I'm being the perfect MOG then. The MOB is quite opinionated and they're getting tired of her. So they're coming to me and asking my opinion. I love it! For once I was able to keep my mouth shut and it paid off.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:22 am

Mary,

You speak my language. Love the pattern and material you've chosen. I've been sewing for years and find I prefer my own "made" clothes to buying ready made. They always fit better and I can put it in a fabric I like. Smile I made a dress for Easter for myself and got so many compliments on it...and it was easy.

I may have to remember this when I tie the knot - my mother is impossible to find something for. She's another odd shape (gee that couldn't be where I got it from Wink ) and ready mades (while being very expensive) don't fit her right very often.

Charlotte - no one likes a "know-it-all" and the fact that you waited until they sought your opinion makes you that much more endearing. Smile Glad you are able to be involved and that you have been feeling better lately so you probably can. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 am

Let's pretend my future DIL's last name is Smith. I got a phone call one day from my son and he said "We want a honest opinion from someone who's last name IS NOT SMITH". Hee hee. So in the end my opinion was sought after and listened to and Mrs. Smith's was completely ignored.

It's happened twice now with the wedding plans. It makes me proud of myself. I used to be kind of a buttinski but I didn't like that trait so I've worked on changing it. Now, let's see if I can keep it up when I have a grandbaby that their not raising right. Razz
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:50 am

Love the dresses Charlotte-especially the blue one. The black one should come in handy for other stuff in the future also.

I went prom dress hunting all day Friday. My daughter finally settled on a basic short black dress that she is going to the nine's with accessorizing. The only other dress she liked, which I also loved, was a long one but the alterations on it alone would have come to a hundred dollars. Prom is expensive enough without spending $350 on a dress for one night (with my pocket book anyway).

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:03 am

Survivor... I love that dress and the material is beautiful. You will look fabulous.

Charlotte.. My MIL was a royal pain and butted into everything. By the time I got divorced, I couldn't stand to be in the same room with her. So I am determined to not stick my nose in my son's marraige and like you, will only give my opinion when asked. I think that is the only way to have a good relationship with my son and his wife. It is their marraige not mine. It's funny what you learn when you have a buttinsky somewhere to give you a role model to NOT emulate! Wink

I'm really happy with the style of the Salwar kurta as it will hide very nicely how much weight I've gained!
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 am

Booooo...neither one of the dresses worked. The blue one accented the negative, mainly my tummy. The black one was to short and glitzy for a wedding. Definitely more of a cocktail dress.

When I see my neuro later in the month I'll only be about 6 blocks away from Woodfield Mall, I believe the largest mall in Illinois. I promised my future DIL I'd stay there til I found my dress (she knows how much I HATE shopping). Mad
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 am

Oh bummer Charlotte! Was hoping one of them would work for you.

Hopefully when you go later this month that you are having a good day and may the first dress, fit, be gorgeous and fit the budget. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:45 am

We have plenty of future MIL here!!!
You'll all look beautiful and elegant, I'm sure about it.

For MY wedding, it was easier to choose my gown than my mother's dress Smile

Also my MIL spent months to find the right dress.

Fortunately they both chose very well and looked great!
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:23 am

Good luck shopping. I do not like black dresses at weddings. When I saw the photograph of the black dress, my immediate thought was that the Mother was in mourning over the wedding. Nope, I like color at weddings ... especially for the Mom's.

And I am glad that blue dress did not fit. One had to be a size 0 for that drapery to drape in a becoming style ... no, I just did not like it.

The Indian outfit is gorgeous ... you should wear it often!

I love both patterns and applaud your skill as a seamstress. that is a true talent ... one I do not share. but my daughter can make anything ... and quickly too. The blue cloth with smoky"vapor like" trails is absolutely gorgeous.

Torquise is this year's "in" color. But I always love blue. My Mom made a pink gown with lots of pearls hand sewn on the bodice and scattered throughout the dress ... it was gorgeous, and served well for 4 sons getting married. We all loved that dress and asked her to re-use it for each wedding.

Why don't yall like shopping? I adore shopping ... I am even getting into shopping for pants that fit my middle age backside. Getting something nice that fits is like flying to the moon for me. A real high. Take me shopping with you! I will teach you the joys of the mall or of Kohl's. LOL
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:25 am

Me too Richard--love shopping!!! I find it a creative outlet.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 am

Richard - apparently I need to go shopping with you. I abhor it and always have...even shoe shopping. I had a friend in college that couldn't understand it...until she went with me.

I have the oddest shaped body and dressing it can be a real challenge. And it won't even start on the feet - those have been a challenge even since I was very little.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:45 pm

Richard,

I've been given a lot of leeway. You'd think that would make it easy, but not for me. I was told I could do any color, any length (the wedding is black&white). My first instinct was RED Not a bright RED but a deeper tone. I thought it would nice to add some color and, well, I look good in red.

Unfortunately it must not be a popular color because I'm not finding anything.

For those of you who like to internet shop, I'm a size 16, 5'6", am an apple shape, I have nice shaped legs, don't like to show my flabby upper arms and don't want to spend more than $175 (and would prefer to spend much less). I look pretty good in just about any color except yellow and orange. Any takers? I'm open for suggestions. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes fashion. Are you hearing the cry for HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPP?!
Razz

I took Stillhurtin's advice and this is what I came up with. I guess I look okay in purple.

http://www.jumpyslinks.com/specialdays/birthday/oldgraymare/images/mare.gif

(see "cracked tooth" post for reference)
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Laughing

rotflmao!!!

Love it, where can I order?!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 am

An opportunity to shop with someone else's money?!? I'm on it! LOL
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 am

Me too!!!

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:21 am

I made the dresses for this wedding and for my oldest son's wedding. That taught me that we are ALL odd shaped. Okay, most of us are. I did 5 bridesmaids, two flower girls and myself for a Dec 2007 wedding.

My mom about had a cow because I wore navy velveteen. My DIL loved it. It was a floor length halter with a matching bolero. It looked good on me in person and was discrete w/ the jacket on. It looks black in the pictures. Shouldn't have went that dark!

I'm 5'4" and weigh 135lbs. However, my body is very disproportionate. If my torso matched my legs I would be 5'8" and if my legs matched my torso I would be about 4'11". There is no room between my ribs and hip bones and I have a large bosom. I think my legs are my best feature but they are too long for most RTW clothes. If I buy to fit my bust the shoulder seams are three inches off my shoulders and the waist is huge.

This is why I sew instead!

My advice for the wedding is to find something you are comfortable in. It looks terrible if you are constantly tugging on your clothes. Get it taylored if needed. And get comfortable shoes. I dont' think I sat for 5 hours!

I still have to get shoes for this wedding. I have a wide foot - or I used to. They are now making shoes wider so I have to be careful. The wedding is outside in May (in MI) so I don't want anything cloth covered or suede. Thinking silver or gray. I may need Richard!!

Off to MI in a few hours for the Bridal Shower, to meet the parents and to fit the dresses. Wish me luck because it has been a rough migraine week.

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next