migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1000 Ways to Die....

5 posters

Go down

1000 Ways to Die.... Empty 1000 Ways to Die....

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:18 am

Has anyone watched this TV show ever?
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/1000-ways-to-die/EP01044193

I happened upon the marathon twice, and frankly I am stumped as to what to think about the credibility
of this show.
It says these are a true stories, but oh come on!
for example, a very drunk driver throwing up out the window getting his head ripped off by a mail box.
OK granted, the car was at considerable speed, say close to 40m/hr, and the laws of physics tend to be multiplied by speed
but still - a head ripped off while passing by a mailbox???

or, a guy fried with 10.000 volts from peeing on electric fence.
A Mythbusters guys proved it's a myth, you can't get electrocuted from peeing on the electric fence, so what gives???

There's more of those imo doubtful cases, but I can't remember what at the mo.

Otherwise, the way some people meet their demise are really shocking and freaky!
Poor souls, may they rest in peace.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

1000 Ways to Die.... Empty Re: 1000 Ways to Die....

Post  Paradox Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 am

I didn't even click on it. I just can't watch that stuff. I remember back in the 80's, the "Faces of Death" videos were really big. They were just snuff films to me and I could not tolerate watching them. About the only thing my sister and I agreed on. We were at the same New Year's Eve Party, and everyone was in the living room watching Faces of Death. We were the only ones in the kitchen, completely disgusted.

We were raised when company comes over, the TV goes off (unless the company is coming over for a Super Bowl Party or something). Hubby's relatives drive me nuts, the TV is on LOUD. If I go out I want to visit with people, not stare slack jawed at a TV or have to yell over one. If I want to watch TV I'll stay home in the comfy cocoon of my bed and watch what I want to want.

Sorry, went off on a tangent.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:29 am

I've never heard of it but frankly it doesn't sound credible. Alright - the mailbox thing. Could be plausible but only under certain circumstances (ie pole set in concrete and had a very sharp edge - otherwise I think it might break your neck but not rip off your head). The peeing on an electric fence - absolutely not true. Not enough current to kill you - you touch it, yeah it hurts like crazy although I've heard from a few guys that it can give you a bit of a zap if peed on. Mythbusters tested out peeing on the third rail which actually does carry enough current to kill you but peeing on it won't.

Sounds like a bunch of cases to send to Mythbusters and have them try out with Buster. Smile Quality entertainment right there and no one gets hurt.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

CluelessKitty wrote:Has anyone watched this TV show ever?
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/1000-ways-to-die/EP01044193

I happened upon the marathon twice, and frankly I am stumped as to what to think about the credibility
of this show.
It says these are a true stories, but oh come on!
for example, a very drunk driver throwing up out the window getting his head ripped off by a mail box.
OK granted, the car was at considerable speed, say close to 40m/hr, and the laws of physics tend to be multiplied by speed
but still - a head ripped off while passing by a mailbox???

or, a guy fried with 10.000 volts from peeing on electric fence.
A Mythbusters guys proved it's a myth, you can't get electrocuted from peeing on the electric fence, so what gives???

There's more of those imo doubtful cases, but I can't remember what at the mo.

Otherwise, the way some people meet their demise are really shocking and freaky!
Poor souls, may they rest in peace.

Risa

One of my friends in high school was sticking his head out of the passengers window of a car driving 30mph on Halloween and another car came in the opposite direction also driving 30 mph and decapitated him. I don't think it is implausible.

I have seen the show though and some of them are really outlandish. The supermodel who binged and purged and one day ate too much she exploded? The kid who tried to hump a bear while tripping on hallucinagenic drugs and ended up dying because the bear attacked...That one was actually really funny despite the outcome..hope it wasn't real because I actually laughed.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 pm

The peeing on an electric fence - absolutely not true. Not enough current to kill you

10 000 Volts is a helluva lots of voltage. in our electric outlets is only 110 Volts I think and that's deadly.
as a matter of fact a mere 30 volts can be deadly under certain conditions- depends on Amps, the current, too.

car driving 30mph on Halloween and another car came in the opposite direction also driving 30 mph and decapitated him.

Oh Christ. how terrible, and what a tragedy Crying or Very sad
Well two cars going opposite ways with equal speed of 30mph is definitely way more velocity than one stationary metal mailbox and one moving car, but alright. maybe, as in freak accident.

I thought about things that normally wouldn't cut thru any surface, take a lawn edger for example.
The plastic rope would never ever cut anything, but give it speed, and... so, okay.

Exploding model?? hmmm. I've heard of stomach ruptures due to binge eating, but exploding? perhaps it was a huge euphemism?

As for the kid trying to hump a bear and not living to tell it What a Face
now that's one I can believe Smile

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm

ps.

I am guilty of laughing, too. I feel terrible, I think of the suffering loved ones, but still I can't help it, some clips are made just so you can't not L-O-L!

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:18 am

Ris, Stationary object plus object moving at 40mph means velocity is 40mph. Object moving at 30mph and another object at 30 colliding into each other = 60mph. Only 40mph difference. It is significant I suppose, but I don't know..bodies can fall out of buildings faster than that and survive. You sustain winds of 60mph on a motorcycle and don't fall off. I know...moving object. I know...physics wasn't like, my career. I'm just guessing here.

Steve watches that show all the time. It drives me up a wall! Laughing
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:55 am

CluelessKitty wrote:
The peeing on an electric fence - absolutely not true. Not enough current to kill you

10 000 Volts is a helluva lots of voltage. in our electric outlets is only 110 Volts I think and that's deadly.
as a matter of fact a mere 30 volts can be deadly under certain conditions- depends on Amps, the current, too.

Electric fences (at least around here are used to contain animals) and they wouldn't be much good if they fried the poor critter rather than just a zap to let them know to get away. You are right it does depend on the amps - volts aren't quite as important. I only say this as I grew up around animals and the fences and have zapped myself a few times. Not fun, but unless you have a heart condition, not likely to kill you.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm sorry Heller Lady - obviously I had my migrainity moment as but of course it was right then and there stated by you:

Not enough current to kill you

why didn't it hit me square between the eyes like today, I'll never know!!

Risa

ps not enough voltage I guess Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Risa,

I also realized that perhaps it was talking about and electric chain link fence...not the kind I was thinking of (3 strands of hot-wire).Idea A difference and I chalk it up to the migraines. They have turned my brain into mush...
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

lolol isn't it wonderful how M is making a mush out of our brains? I can't remember what kind of a link that fence in the show was, but I have a vague feeling it was a straight line fence, not a chain link...
wooo, the guy got black fried instantly.. like, whoosh! poor dude. just wanted to take a tinkle. yiisshh.

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 pm

OK ladies, here is the truth straight from the horses mouth or uh well here it is. It is the amount of current, not the voltage that kills and it doesn't take much current to kill. A few milliamps (a milliamp is one one-thousandth of an amp. Tasers have a voltage of tens of thousands of volts, but almost no current. I have grabbed an electric fence and been shocked. Urinating on the fence would have the same shock effect with possible unintended side-effects. I have heard of homeless people relieving themselves on the third rail of an electric train operation and being killed. Electrified rails supply thousands of amps and would kill you DRT (Dead Right There).

As for the program, it isn't real. It is a "shock" program and isn't worth the time to watch. Most television programming isn't worth watching, IMHO.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:22 pm

OK ladies, here is the truth straight from the horses mouth or uh well here it is. It is the amount of current, not the voltage that kills and it doesn't take much current to kill

Will all due respect Hal, yes voltage DOES matter, and very much.

Please read here...
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/shock.html

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down