migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LSD Used To Treat Migraines

+8
Paradox
tecky
sailingmuffin
LG
alli
Anna
jwar
Olee
12 posters

Go down

LSD Used To Treat Migraines Empty LSD Used To Treat Migraines

Post  Olee Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:04 am

I know this is a very controversial subject and most likely has been discussed here before but it interested me nonetheless. Even my hippie wife and myself the tattooed rock-n-roll migraine sufferer were not aware that LSD was and is being used to treat migraines. Apparently even our own FDA has used LSD back in the 90's to treat cluster headaches. I am very well aware of the different experiments orchestrated with hallucinogenics both voluntary and involuntary, but to treat migraines was beyond my knowledge. My wife and I caught the end of a documentary dedicated to LSD on National Geographic ( don't ask), and there were a few minutes that discussed the treatment of migraines using LSD, even a non hallucinogenic version in Germany. I find these types of documentaries to be fascinating and when the subject of migraines was introduced it brought it up a level. The Nat Geo Explorer episode repeats this Sunday 3-14 at 6PM Eastern Nat Geo

Thoughts Anyone?

Please understand that I am not condoning the use of illegal drugs. I am simply posting my thoughts about a documentary which had a common piece of our shared physical problem..migraines.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

LSD Used To Treat Migraines Empty Re: LSD Used To Treat Migraines

Post  jwar Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:12 am

LSD hits the same receptors as the triptans do, so physiologically it makes sense. If you pubmed LSD Migraine some interesting results come up. I've heard shrooms (psilocybin) are also an effective treatment.
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:32 pm

Here's some more information.

http://www.clusterbusters.com/

Last edited by Anna on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 pm

I've heard about mushrooms treating migraines also. I've been really tempted to try it. But.... I think I need to know more. I'm going to watch the NG show and see what they say. Definitely worth looking into.

Alli
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

I have tons of info on this and have been researching it for a while. Ergot is the a key ingredient to make acid. Ergot is the same medication we all use in DHE 45 as well as migranal and some other migraine medications. Triptans are in the same class and hit the same receptors, however they are like cousins. Harvard has been doing a study on this, however it is very difficult to get accurate results because the government won't approve LSD for use in the study so they are largely relying on the public to give their personal experiences with the drug. If you look, you can actually participate in the study online by filling out a questionaire.

Some people theorize that you can take a small amount of LSD that does not produce hallucinations and still get relief for if not months, if not years. I am a strong advocate of this. I obviously do not have relief and therefore have not tried it but if it were possible for me to do so without endangering my family, I would do it within a heartbeat. It would be the very first thing I went for.

If you would like any more information, let me know. I just gave the short version of what I've read. I can also site sources if anyone is interested. Smile
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi All,

This a very interesting topic. LSD was actually invented as a treatment for migraines. Sansert and methergine are also relatives of LSD. I have been on both sansert and methergine at different times, Sansert helped for a while.

Methergine is another story. I saw a neurologist once who put me on methergine. I took some, as instructed, and had a very interesting afternoon. I was hallucinating, defintely a little out of it, etc. I was scared and so I called my mother who informed mew that I was ok, simply having a "bad trip." I never took it again. I know it has helped some people, though.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 pm

The National Geographic episode on LSD sounds interesting. I think the History Channel has had some episodes on drugs through the ages, and A&E has had some episodes on marijuana. There has to be an answer for relief from our pain somewhere out there......

Becky
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:55 pm

First I've heard of Acid helping Migraines. I have heard about medical-marijuana for Migraines. Apparently there are ways to get the benefits without smoking it. To be legally approved currently costs $200, but come November things may change since the State is considering taxing the $14 billion industry...ah money talking again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Olee Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:17 am

lovegia wrote:I have tons of info on this and have been researching it for a while. Ergot is the a key ingredient to make acid. Ergot is the same medication we all use in DHE 45 as well as migranal and some other migraine medications. Triptans are in the same class and hit the same receptors, however they are like cousins. Harvard has been doing a study on this, however it is very difficult to get accurate results because the government won't approve LSD for use in the study so they are largely relying on the public to give their personal experiences with the drug. If you look, you can actually participate in the study online by filling out a questionaire.

Some people theorize that you can take a small amount of LSD that does not produce hallucinations and still get relief for if not months, if not years. I am a strong advocate of this. I obviously do not have relief and therefore have not tried it but if it were possible for me to do so without endangering my family, I would do it within a heartbeat. It would be the very first thing I went for.

If you would like any more information, let me know. I just gave the short version of what I've read. I can also site sources if anyone is interested. Smile

It all makes perfect sense now that you guys have pointed it out. I think when it comes down to it, if it were to erase my migraines with no danger to myself or family, I'd be willing to try anything. This is all very fascinating and I want to thank you all for the input. I will be reading for days now.
Olee
Olee

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:58 am

A friend of mine called me when the Nat. Geo show was on, but I missed most of it.

If it were legal and in low enough doses not to hallucinate (my reality is strange enough for me!) I'll be the first in line.

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm one of the lucky ones that DHE works for and in most instances, immediately. Interesting it is connected to acid. I do know that if the DHE didn't work so well for me I would try anything. The fact that it was illegal wouldn't phase me.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:36 pm

The fact that one small dose that wouldn't make you trip out can possibly decrease or eliminate migraines for about a year is enough for me to take it if it were legal!

Being it is illegal I don't trust the stuff on the street and I don't want to trip. I have a daughter and I don't want to be "balls to the wall" for a few hours Laughing I just want a small dose in a caplet or tab or something and be migraine free for a couple months-year+. Yessir. Sounds nice to me!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I have read about some cluster headache people getting relief from magic mushrooms. And as mentioned above a very small amount worked and did so for many weeks. It would make sense that some mig patients would also benefit from LSD or some of the hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Last fall I had well over 1000 of them (Liberty caps) growing just in my front yard alone. I can assure you that if I got relief from them they would have been harvested. If it's safe, effective, available and doesn't require doctors or insurance companies then I would be all for it. Screw the law, I want relief!
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:43 pm

It's funny to me to think about how if, historically, a high percentage of law makers had been migraine sufferers that our laws would ostensibly be very different today. It always amazes me that things like mushrooms and marijuana are illegal as they are simply natural substances that grow right here on earth. It doubly amazes me that these things would be illegal even to chronic pain patients such as ourselves. I think anyone in chronic, debilitating pain - be it migraine, cluster headache, trigeminal neuralgia, cancer, etc - is aware of what it feels like to grasp at straws for relief and would be willing to try just about anything if relief could be gained. Why would anyone fault someone for that?
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:36 pm

It's always a "follow the money" situation. Then throw in some ignorant societal stigmas cultured by a dirty money influenced government.

But back in the 50's the chance of pot becoming a gov. sanctioned medicinal product would have been unheard of. We can change laws but usually it's a matter of how many decades do you want to commit to it.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:35 am

Like LoveGia wrote, ergot belongs to the LSD family. It's exctrated from the same molecule.
I use ergotamine (cafergot) to abort migraine, it's the only thing that works for me. I can assure you that it gives no hallucinations, only nausea and stuffed nose.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

LSD Used To Treat Migraines Empty LSD (My experience)

Post  ardentmoth Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:40 am

I tried LSD before trying marijuana. It is still my drug of choice, but to use it recreationally is a huge waste of time and money.

My first experience was with 4 tabs. 13 hours of perfect bliss (and increased salivation). No regrets whatsoever.

The best part, of course, was that I was then migraine-free for about six months. Very Happy They had been a monthly (sometimes twice monthly) occurrence, reduced to one or two a year between "trips."

Just, you know, don't go into it thinking it's going to be a blast. I would suggest starting with two tabs in the morning followed by a day off doing whatever you enjoy the most. Keeping a positive environment is key. Gardening, watching your favorite anime, playing with play-doh, remembering good times, and cracking jokes. Don't forget to eat all kinds of fruit--this is a huuuge part of the experience for me, and very fun. You might want to cut it before you trip, though. I ate a lime that sounded like thunder and tasted sweet. Very Happy

Cheers.

ardentmoth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down