migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What ethnical group do you belong to?

+23
sailingmuffin
ache25
CluelessKitty
theresae
crt
Anna's Mom
LG
estre004
Mule Kick
AZgirl
Brenda
AuntieBubbs
LizzieB
rileyoday
mxgo
Jewishmother
lynette823
Almostangela
HeelerLady
pen
tecky
Paradox
Ivy
27 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? - Page 2 Empty Re: What ethnical group do you belong to?

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm

I think she does, but I guess there are migraines and migraines...I mean is she on this forum or any of the other groups...

silent

pen

Back to top Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? - Page 2 Empty Re: What ethnical group do you belong to?

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm

The Inuit people do have a history of intracranial hypertension (and resulting head pain) from eating polar bear liver which is very high in Vitamin A. Too much Vitamin A can trigger IH:

http://journals.lww.com/jneuro-ophthalmology/Fulltext/2007/12000/Retinol_and_Retinol_Binding_Protein_in.1.aspx

I believe Inuit people are aware of this risk now, and many avoid polar bear liver.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

How interesting Cheryl. I am learning such a lot in my quest to find help with our problem.

Linda I think you are right, we should keep at it.
SOMETHING bonds us in some way, surely.

Perhaps we should do some polls on here.

As the people that should be doing the research or not, then why not do it ourselves at least at this level.
We have nothing to loose and so much experience (unfortunately)

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 pm

I think it would be interesting to find some commonality between who we are and why we suffer. To my knowledge, there is no one else in my family that suffers from migraines the way I do (if they get them it's more take aspirin and caffeine and it goes away type) so I'm pretty sure it's not familial in my case.

What stands out is that many of us have some northern european heritage (german, uk, ireland, nordic etc). Please correct me if this isn't an accurate assessment. So now the question is what else do we have in common? (my scientist side is starting to kick in) I think that environment may play a role as well but lets start with other familial tendencies first and see if something stands out.

Me, heart disease and diabetes are a problem from one side. The other side, cancer (this may be environmental as they come from a cancer pocket) and essential tremors.

Age might play a role, but do you start when it became chronic or when you had your first M?
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

The problem with heart disease, cancer and diabetes. I think we are going to find this in everyone's family background, if not immediate, but also the same in non migraine people.

I like your idea of trying to pin something down we all have in common though.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 pm

So I can add that, I also have FMS and IBS.
My dad had Fibrositis. My mum had a spastic colon.

My mum died of a heart attack which apparently was because she was a heavy smoker.
My dad, we don't know....nothing conclusive on the death cert.

In my near family I have an uncle with vertigo, but no one with headaches,
I have a congenital kidney defect, probably from my dad.
As a child I suffered from endless tonsillitis, to the point that they never managed to get my tonsils out.

I am in NO doubt that there is a connection between IBS, FMS/CFS and migraine,it has come up again and again.
I also firmly believe that thyroid might play a part.

'Sall for now.....

Last edited by pen on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:23 pm

One of our neurosurgeons told us this story:

He had a patient (young boy) who seemed to develop IH/high intracranial pressure out of the blue. The neurosurgeon had a feeling it was triggered by "something." He just had a feeling about it.

So he was asking this boy all sorts of questions. He found out the boy was very fond of Ovaltine. It is a chocolate drink which contains added vitamins. But the boy was drinking it all day long, which should not be done! Overdose of Vitamin A.

The neurosurgeon told the boy and his mom to stop the Ovaltine. The boys pressure went down, and his HA's went away.

That is what too much Vitamin A can do. Give you severe HA's and high pressure (high pressure that has nothing to do with high blood pressure).

There are certain drugs which can trigger IH also--like Accutane.

And some people don't have a clue this is happening to them.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 pm

I knew too much Vit. A is dangerous Cheryl, but not in this way.
Ovaltine used to be really popular in England in WW2.
I dont think it is still.
But I wonder what else is similar....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Oh, Charlotte, you aren't a dum-dum. I'm very sensitive to those kinds of things, mainly from being patronized by doctors. I've had doctors, friends, family, coworkers, strangers tell me everything from, "you can't have migraines as bad as you describe because of your age" to because it's not common for hispanics to get them to because I've never had children. I'm won't be surprised to hear next that the moon isn't in the 7th house of venus, so I can't possibly have migraines!
I just want to stick to facts, but someone made a good argument that I hadn't thought of, about the photosensitivity possibly being related to eye color. So see, that was a good point related to eye color that I missed entirely. However, I'd like to see someone relate hair color and freckles to migraines as easily! LOL

Oh, on the related subject of celebrities and migraines, I haven't heard of specific celebrities, but I follow baseball, and I've heard of a few baseball players who get them. I know one of the pitchers on the Phillies got pulled from his regular start in the playoffs because of a migraine, and I seem to remember Clayton Kershaw on the Dodgers got lifted from a game because of migraine symptoms. I know I've heard of others. I follow baseball pretty closely Smile
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

What ethnical group do you belong to? - Page 2 Empty heritage and migraines

Post  crt Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:22 pm

AuntieBubbs wrote:Oh, Charlotte, you aren't a dum-dum. I'm very sensitive to those kinds of things, mainly from being patronized by doctors. I've had doctors, friends, family, coworkers, strangers tell me everything from, "you can't have migraines as bad as you describe because of your age" to because it's not common for hispanics to get them to because I've never had children. I'm won't be surprised to hear next that the moon isn't in the 7th house of venus, so I can't possibly have migraines!

I'm sensitive about all the above. It's especially irks me when they use age as a reason we shouldn't have migraines. I and other people at Ronda's have had them since we were toddlers. And some women have them long after menopause is over. (For some, migraines disappear or are reduced after menopause.)

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I picked this list up from another site I visit. It is co-morbid conditions.
Worth a look....

Depression
Anxiety
Stroke
Cardiovascular Disease
Hypertension
Epilepsy
Fibromyalgia
Thyroid Disease
Mania/Bipolar Disorder
Panic Attacks
Raynaud’s syndrome
Restless Leg Syndrome
Essential Tremor
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chiari Malformations.

I go IBS., FMS Thyroid. Have had panic attacks in the past.
Had depression. Get a lot of Anxiety.
Father had hypertension. Epilepsy in family.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm still kind of skeptical Pen - those conditions are pretty common in older people and the majority do not have migraines. And other than maybe the depression and anxiety, not too many young people have those conditions but get migraines. There could be a correlation but trying to figure it out would be almost impossible. There has got to be one thing that migraineurs have in common.. Sure would like to know what it is. Maybe then, a cure could be in the works.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 pm

pen wrote:I knew too much Vit. A is dangerous Cheryl, but not in this way.
Ovaltine used to be really popular in England in WW2.
I dont think it is still.
But I wonder what else is similar....

hi pen ovaltine is still used in alot of uk hospitals, and the elderly generation love it we get through loads of it on our ward, it is the highlight of their evening just b4 bedtime,

oh and i am white, and mostly english as far as i know, my family have lived in same village, for over 200 years,
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Caucasian, Polish.

that migraine is mainly spread among Asian-Europeans

As a matter of fact, certain Asians hardly ever got M:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=aJRV199FZcoC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=migraine+prevalence+by+race&source=bl&ots=fwLjfIx6ka&sig=bAvgmt49CHw0aTLpiFuIbr6aAA4&hl=en&ei=Q3t0S7CqF5TgswOe_9GNBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=migraine%20prevalence%20by%20race&f=false

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 pm

CluelessKitty wrote:Caucasian, Polish.

that migraine is mainly spread among Asian-Europeans

As a matter of fact, certain Asians hardly ever got M:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=aJRV199FZcoC&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=migraine+prevalence+by+race&source=bl&ots=fwLjfIx6ka&sig=bAvgmt49CHw0aTLpiFuIbr6aAA4&hl=en&ei=Q3t0S7CqF5TgswOe_9GNBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=migraine%20prevalence%20by%20race&f=false

Risa

Great Risa! There is the documented answer we've been looking for!
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:11 pm

You're welcome ! If you want more research on this, look under "migraine prevalence by race".

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:17 pm

estre004 wrote:I'm still kind of skeptical Pen - those conditions are pretty common in older people and the majority do not have migraines. And other than maybe the depression and anxiety, not too many young people have those conditions but get migraines. There could be a correlation but trying to figure it out would be almost impossible. There has got to be one thing that migraineurs have in common.. Sure would like to know what it is. Maybe then, a cure could be in the works.

I dont know either Linda, but its interesting they are discussing this same thing on other sites.
Seems quite a move to try to determine a link.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Pen,

You answered a question I had been wondering about. Essential tremors run in my family, dad, brother, aunt, grandmother, cousins and my great-grandmother (have a suspicion it goes back to the Native American heritage). Normal onset in my family is mid to late 20's (my brother was late teens but he seems to be the exception). While I've had sporadic migraines since high school, it's only been in the last year that they've become a problem. At the same time, I noticed the onset of the essential tremors. I wondered if they were tied but had difficulty finding any information that correlated the two. In my case, I'm wondering if M is a manifestation of the tremors - the tremors appeared more while the M were more sporadic and have sort of disappeared with the chronic symptoms (except in cases of extreme stress). I know the tremors can affect people differently (my aunt has hers in her voice as well as extremities). I know no one has the answers to this, but where did you find your information as I'm very interested? The standard treatments don't seem to be effective and maybe a new course of action is needed in my case. I know similar treatments are used and it may be that I need the tremors to be treated instead of the M.

Becky
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Glad I was able to help Becky.

I have wondered if migraines are actually a "symptom" of something else in myself.
I have FMS and it is well documented that headaches and migraines and even IBS (which I also have) are a big symptom in CFS/FMS. I have also had problems with my thyroid, and huge hormone problems.

So which one do I fix? How? and will it take the migraines with it???

Even so it doesnt explain the missing link between us all does it??

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Well it may not find a link between each of us. However, we may all need to look at the list and see what we are affected by and if there's a possibility of more than one, pick a likely candidate. Thyroid disease runs in my family but it doesn't run in direct lines (my mother is affected and so is a cousin). Due to this, I keep a fairly close eye on that just to make sure that nothing is starting (large amounts of hair coming out in the shower send me running to the doctor). In my case, I think it might be worthwhile to look at the tremors....if we treat for that and see what the effect is on M. This may explain why many of us don't respond to the preventatives. We don't have M on their own but they are a side effect of another condition. Treat that condition and see what happens. Someone I work with was chronic for years and then changed doctors. They found there was something wrong with her sinuses, did surgery and now she is no longer chronic.

Sorry this may be some rambling but it's got me fired up a bit and confirms that I really do need to see what happens when I get off all preventatives (as they are doing more harm than good now). And I need to discuss with my doctor the possibility of treating the tremors instead of the M. While I may have a tendency towards them, this may be driven by something else.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Becky I feel your fire. I feel the same.

I have no reason for having these and they are now so chronic i have no life.
I cant work, I cant go on holiday, i can barely even go out. Life is awful and I cant accept it. Why should I.

No one has told me why I have it. Nothing seems to trigger it.
Neither has anyone helped me one bit.
Not a preventative, not a complimentary therapy. Nothing has helped.
So it is down to me, the sick person to try to work this out.
If I don't I might as well just jump out of the window.....

Teri Roberts says they just wont spend the money on research.
She also said there wont be a cure in her lifetime, well she is younger than me...
How depressing is that.
Why do they keep saying there is no cure, learn to manage it....why....
I am sick of being told to be positive. I try to make the best of things, but I have no life quality, what best can I make of that...

I agree ,we should all look at the clues here.
Migraine could well be a symptom of something else, and if it is we are not ever going to fix it, unless by accident.

Sorry, I am fired up too.
All I have to look forward to is waking tomorrow with another pounding head....
I was supposed to baby sit my grandchildren tomorrow. I had to cancel.....
At least if we work together, and don't keep straying, we might either help each other by coincidence ,or actually find a clue.

Sorry guys, I should go to bed.
Pen
PS: Our boiler broke today, its freezing here. Its snowing. No heat, no hot water. But hey, its not migraine. Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks, Risa. Great link! Good job cutting through it all to get to the heart of the topic. Very Happy
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm

I missed that. Thanks Risa. Need to sleep now. Can anyone in less pain today maybe cut through it so we can work with the info?
Be grateful

Night.

Last edited by pen on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm

lovegia - forget the blue eyes theory. I have dark brown eyes and light kills me. Now here is another theory - how many of you are near sighted? Wear contacts? Maybe if we keep this up, we will solve this mystery --maybe.

Maybe true, maybe you are just super sensitive to light and an anomaly to the rule. Who knows? I still won't forget it though! I really do believe that people with blue eyes are more sensitive to light because of the pigmentation. I'm not positive but I strongly believe it.

As for your question, I am not near sighted as far as I know. I don't wear contacts, but I should go to the doctor for a check on my eyes. I am deathly afraid of anyone messing with my eyes, I know it is silly but call it my own phobia.

When working as a machinist, I actually got a metal chip IN my eye and refused to go. I had to have a coworker of mine hold me down to flush my eye out with the emergency solution they had. It came out with several flushes but IIICK. Nobody touches my eyes!! They still wanted me to go to see if I had scratched or damaged my retina but nahh, I passed that up. Neutral

Thanks for the info on the lineage too!
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:17 pm

pen wrote:
I have no reason for having these and they are now so chronic i have no life. I cant work, I cant go on holiday, i can barely even go out. Life is awful and I cant accept it. Why should I.

No one has told me why I have it. Nothing seems to trigger it. Neither has anyone helped me one bit. Not a preventative, not a complimentary therapy. Nothing has helped. So it is down to me, the sick person to try to work this out. If I don't I might as well just jump out of the window.....

Teri Roberts says they just wont spend the money on research. She also said there wont be a cure in her lifetime, well she is younger than me...How depressing is that. Why do they keep saying there is no cure, learn to manage it....why....

I agree ,we should all look at the clues here.
Migraine could well be a symptom of something else, and if it is we are not ever going to fix it, unless by accident.

At least if we work together, and don't keep straying, we might either help each other by coincidence ,or actually find a clue.

I haven't been in your shoes but I do understand the frustration. We get patronized and patted on the head and dismissed as "whiney". We turn into lab rats for doctors and does it help - the answer seems to be rarely if at all and we pay the price. What I know is that they understand the mechanism of a migraine - the stages, how it works and the effects. What they don't know is what trigger mechanism is....which is why they turn us into rats. For some it truly is an imbalance somewhere that can be corrected and they usually don't stay rats long. For us, well they throw every trick in the book at us and either we can't tolerate them or they have no effect we are then told to cope.

From my perspective this is a prime area for research - the bad is that we may be the outliers rather than the majority which makes the research that much harder. Part of it is public view...the hot area of neurological study is Alzheimers - many are affected and they are visible. I wouldn't say that research money isn't spent on it, I would say there are few researchers out there and most are looking at drugs not cause. As we are finding, potential causitive events vary between person. This in itself makes it hard to justify doing the research - they have no results to prove a theory. Unless they'd get hit by lightening and find a common factor in all of us.... So we must become our own doctors - start looking at what we know. If one of us gets a solution, share it with others, you never know who else might be in a similar condition and it could help.

Pen, I hope your boiler gets fixed soon. Although I'm sure a bit of cold beats an M any day Razz
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next