migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exedrin Migraine commercial

+8
theresae
Stillhurtin
AuntieBubbs
Almostangela
alli
LG
Brenda
estre004
12 posters

Go down

Exedrin Migraine commercial Empty Exedrin Migraine commercial

Post  estre004 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:20 am

Has anyone else seen the commercial that says (to this effect anyway--can't remember the exact words) "do not ruin the people's around you day by having a migraine. Take Exedrin Migraine". Irritates me every time I see it. In fact, I would never take that aspirin again because of it--not that I would anyway (useless crap). The commercial insinuates that we are ruining the lives of people around us by not taking action. I don't think I am being sensitive. What do you guys think?

estre004

Back to top Go down

Exedrin Migraine commercial Empty Re: Exedrin Migraine commercial

Post  Brenda Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 am

To a certain extent, I see their point. I know that there have been so many times that people that I love (parents, hubby, and friends) have had to cancel plans because I've been ill. DH also said sometimes he feels like he's living in a cave, because so often, I have to have the curtains closed and the lights on low. I always feel like I'm such a burden. Not to mention I get cranky when I go several days in pain.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:31 am

If you had cancer, they wouldn't say "don't inconvenience the people around you". I really can't see much difference. We have no choice in this disease. I know migraines are a pain for the people around us but the commercial (to me anyway) insinuates it is our fault "so you better take Exedrin migraine".

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:46 am

Yeah okay, to that extent we all kind of suck because our families suffer from our migraines. I feel like the worst mom in the world when my little girl stumbles all over the house because I have a migraine and can't tolerate lights brighter than a plug in nite-lite. All the times my daughter runs up to me with her coat and shoes and I can't go outside because it is too bright out there. The days I have to take strong pain medication and can't hold her, so she sits there crying and reaching out to me and I just want to cry too. She can't do anything yet without me. At least my husband and the rest of my family can go out and enjoy their lives if they choose to. Being a mom w/chronic migraines to a younger child IMHO is the hardest.

Can I let this bring me down? No..I really try not to. It really isn't my fault that this happened to me, unless it is karma returning to bite me in the butt. Who knows, and if I'm paying for it now..there's got to be a reason for my daughter to be suffering through it too.

To lead non-sufferers on into believing you can take an aspirin or OTC medication and get on with your life and stop ruining everyone elses day is more than just messed up. It also helps place that guilt we all feel for making our family "live in caves". They don't have to, they choose to...please remember that. If they wanted it different, they could leave. They love us so much they want to stay and help us which is a great thing. The minute my husband starts throwing it in my face, I tell him straight away to get up and leave me if he doesn't want to deal with it anymore, and I would completely understand because I wouldn't want to deal with it either. He shuts up really fast. LOL

I hate excedrin migraine. I curse them for making commercials like that. It keeps the stereotype alive that you don't need to be on prescription medication for migraines because they are not serious. They are just a bad headache and you can just take something, so stop complaining.

My sister takes topamax for epilepsy and CONSTANTLY tells me to stop taking it. She said to me it doesn't matter if it helps you, it's bad for you and unless you have seizures you shouldn't take it. Seizures are more serious than migraines and I should just take something else like excedrin migraine or, get this, FIND OUT WHAT CAUSES MIGRAINES! LOL!! If I could do that, I'd be a millionaire, eh? I said that so she counters with, avoid whatever triggers them and when you have your period make sure to take the excedrin migraine early. LMAO

That is why I hate that stupid product. She's going to watch that commercial and give me another reason to not take medication that helps me. I don't really care, I'll still take my meds anyways but its really stressful to have your own family be so ignorant because of some stupid OTC pill and their ads among other stereotypes that have been instilled in society. Dumb excedrin migraine.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 am

I take Excedrin or more often the generic equivalent, and should own stock in it as it does help with the MILD migraines and if I take it early enough WITH Aleve, I can sometimes abort an attack. That being said, those commercials irritate that heck out of me. I am also on three different prescription meds to control migraines, Fibro and TN. The migraines I get in spite of those drugs are the ones I can sometimes treat with Excedrin.

Without the prescription drugs, my life is a living hell. It's horrible body pain, excruciating facial pain, and migraines triggered by anything and everything and Excerdin does nothing at this point. To say that just take this and your "headache" will go away is such a disservice. And to say that gee your "headache" is ruining your family's life... WHAT??? %*$$#@ you! Whatever idiot came up with that tag line should be fired.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Less than a year ago I wrote the Exedrin's marketing department about their commercial 'let the sunshine in' whereby the woman took ibuprophen with a bit of caffine and the next thing you know she was jumping out into the sunshine. I pointed out that (professionally of course) real migrainers would try this product a few times and would wise up to this illusion in a real hurry, and would likely become pretty annoyed with this grandiouse false claim. Who is their target audience? --no response from them--

Well, I see by this latest add campaign that their target audience is not for real migraine people, but maybe just people who want that new 'special' drugs to try out. It's all about the money.

As for the latest statement about ruining your family's life, all I have to say is ---I'm so sorry my excrutiating pain is wrecking your ability to make me do stuff for you. Maybe I'm here for you to learn compassion.
Almostangela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Well said Angela. When I have a migraine I just want to be left alone. If this is a problem for anyone, they have a problem.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Well said, everyone, especially Gia. I hate, hate, hate the Excedrin migraine commercials. Passionately.

Ironically, I have the tv on while my computer is booting up, and the login screen in coming in for this page, and I'm logging and waiting for this page to load, and what comes on the tv? I kid you not, that damn commercial. It actually says: "don't let you're migraine become someone else's pain."
My sister saw that commercial on Saturday and asked me why I don't "just take something like that." I had to explain to her that it doesn't work, and that actually, there was no difference between excedrin migraine and extra strength excedrin, that the marketing people just slap a different label and packaging on the same product, and market it to a different audience in order to make more money. She said, "no! they do that?" in total disbelief. I had to convince her otherwise. i told her yes, they did, it was scandalous but why should that be hard to believe? They aren't in business to help people with their headaches, they are in business to make money, and don't care if they sell false hope.

To me that commercial implies exactly what Gia says it does: that we migraneurs really just get headaches, we have a choice in whether we get migraines or not, and if we would just be sensible and take excedrin migraine, we could stop inconveniencing our friends and family. If we don't take this product, we must like being in pain, right? And since everyone knows migraines are predominantly a woman's disease - the person in the commercial holding their head in pain is, as if to reiterate this, a woman - then it's no wonder we want to be in pain, everyone knows women like to whine and they crave sympathy. After all, it must be true if they are letting their migraine pain become everyone else's pain!
(Anyone notice that those commercials come on ALOT during the day, when stay-at-home moms are home? Of course, unemployed people like me are also home Wink )

That's what that @##$! @@#$$@ commercial says to me. I curse those marketing people with level 10+ migraines for at least a week. And I'm a woman, and we all know women are witches too, so I can do it. Very Happy
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I hate that commercial too. So insensitive! I take it occasionally to hold me over from taking my real pain meds (i.e., if I know I'll have to be driving my munchkins and don't want to be doped.) It takes the edge off the pain about 45% of the time. Rest of the time. No effect.

The administrative assistant at my work asks me ALL THE TIME if I want some. I always say no thanks. Why she carries it with her I have no idea, as she doesn't have migraines.

Question

When I have a M it's written all over my face (and my attitude...lol) She'll say...."ooooohh...do you have a headache today?" If I say yes....Boom right away "want some exedrine migraine" .....lol I wait for it now. I have told her a zillion times that it doesn't help me much and I have something to take if I need to. But she still offers.

Anyway, I'm with everyone....F the makers of that commercial!!!
Stillhurtin
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:10 pm

well Jess you must be that a$$@#!$ of a person who just likes to suffer, huh? J/K
I bet she carries it on her just for you. She probably thinks to herself, "Oh my, she has a migraine but she won't even try the excedrin!"

Laughing

I laugh at people like that.

And thanks Bubbs for liking my post.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:19 pm

estre004 wrote:Has anyone else seen the commercial that says (to this effect anyway--can't remember the exact words) "do not ruin the people's around you day by having a migraine. Take Exedrin Migraine". Irritates me every time I see it. In fact, I would never take that aspirin again because of it--not that I would anyway (useless crap). The commercial insinuates that we are ruining the lives of people around us by not taking action. I don't think I am being sensitive. What do you guys think?

Bloody cheek!!! how about my day being ruined! what a patronizing advert, wonder which migraine free smart ass thought that one up??
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 pm

I always dreamed of having my own TV program.
You know what would that be? a counter commercials.
I would blast any stupid TV commercial that promises something unrealistic (like Roomba, for example)
and you can bet your patootie migraine meds would be the top ten if not the number one of them!
And I would be merciless, sarcastic and cruel, too. I would try to hire the best comics and show how the things works in REAL life!!!

And this Excedrin crap? I would take it, and vomit into bucket with EXCEDRIN logo on it half an hr later! how's that for convenience, huh? huh?

of my soap box...

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:54 pm

LOL @ Roomba.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 pm

You know what's funny....I have that crap in my purse right now. I haven't used it in almost a year but it's still there - why I don't know. Perhaps for the poor souls who get the occasional really bad headache and they feel better taking it. I'm a walking pharmacy when it comes to that...usually have that, ibuprofen, psuedofed, midol and all my rx's, plus a few other goodies depending on what I've had recently. Never know when someone may need something. Razz What's even funnier - my gp told me (when I was having the occasional migraine) to drink a can of soda pop and take an aspirin. None of the fancy crap for him. Sprained ankles - his solution was high lacing boots (he was an army doc at one point) and ibuprofen.

Random thought...did excedrine start out on one of those "As seen on TV"? You know that stuff is rather corny, marketed to seem like the best thing since sliced bread and not worth the packaging it was mailed in (with a few random exceptions).
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:33 pm

Just playing devil's advocate here. Of course, excedrin migraine does nothing for me either. We have to remember that most of us on this board are the hardest cases. We're jaded because we've tried everything and are constantly sick and in pain. There really ARE people out there who get just OCCASIONAL migraines and Excedrin works for them. I have a bigger problem with them making a special package for Excedrin Migraine which is nothing more than regular old Excedrin. The ingredients are exactly the same. That to me seems more misleading and bothersome than the don't run everybody else's day. I guess I just don't sweat the small stuff enough to be that angry about the ad.

***running for cover...hiding under a chair***
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Add me to the list of people who are irritated by the Excedrine Migraine commercial. I've had so many people suggest that I try Excedrine Migraine--I would if it gave me relief and if it didn't burn a hole in my stomach each time.

I think its more for "headache", not migraine.

Becky What a Face
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm

There really ARE people out there who get just OCCASIONAL migraines and Excedrin works for them.

Oh sure, I believe that. Stuff like that used to work for ME.

It's not about that, though even if I made it look like that. It's about how they portray us - is how we INCONVENIENCE others! for God's sake it's me who is in agony here but I inconvenience OTHERS!!!!??? 4hit!!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 am

Ok, I'm just going to shut up. I didn't mean to hit anybody's hot button, which I obviously have.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am

One question comes to mind with this discussion. Is there a resource out there for people with migraines? Resource isn't the right word - brain refusing to work...thinking like American Cancer Association, American Heart Foundation, something like this that has the ability to educate and fund research into a disease. I know that migraines are one of the most misunderstood conditions, and I have a hard time explaining to loved ones what I deal with and how treatments work. I think a lot of the challenges we face are due to misconceptions of what we deal with. Just one of those things that got me thinking.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 am

Yes, there's the National Headache Foundation and American Headache Society Committee for Headache Education (A.C.H.E.)
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:26 am

Well not being in America where we dont have Excedrin.
But we do have equally insulting, yes insulting ads over here.
The idea that tagging "migraine" to a regular OTC will make it work on migraine is absurd.

I am not sure this should be legal. It is misrepresentation.
I understand the Excedrin Migraine is no different to the Excedrin,"just about everything else."

As if we didnt have enough problems being take seriously enough, they make it sound like pop a pill and get on with it....
Right....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Well, you have a point, Pen. But although it seems like mispresentation, it's legal, because as long as "one sufferer" ie, one test group of migraineurs have gotten relief from the product, they can claim what they claim, label it excedrin migraine, and market it as they do.

I think I can safely say that none of us object to the product giving people relief, we object to the suits behind the product marketing it the way they do. Their horrible ads propegate (not sure I spelled that right, lol) the image that the public has of us, that we elect to suffer, and that our condition must somehow be our own faults. Tell me how many of you have not experienced some kind of prejudice from people who just don't understand? Those commercials make it worse; they make it harder for our loved ones to understand, because it gives them the idea that we could choose to take something as easy excedrin and we'd be able to go to work/cook dinner/take the kids to their functions/etc.
Like Gia says, what can she tell her young daughter when she has her shoes and her coat in hand and is crying to go outside? Ok, honey, let mommy take excedrin and she'll be able to go right outside with you? Well, in an Excdrin Migraine World, she would! In our world, that's a pipe dream 99% of the time. But now Gia has to explain to her family why not; and she'll have to explain over and over and over. And how can she explain to a toddler?
Those commercials make me angry, not because the product exists, but because it implies that our condition, doesn't. That it's really just a headache, after all.

Anyway, now it's time for me to get off my soapbox now Very Happy I've been on it long enough.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 pm

I guess it comes down to the fact that people with headaches often think they have migraine....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Brenda, it's not YOU - it's how the stupid Excedrin company's worded their commercial that pushes my button:

"do not ruin the people's around you day by having a migraine. Take Exedrin Migraine".

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down