Does any one have experience with a childhood migraines?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does any one have experience with a childhood migraines?

Post  armyof6 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm

My son is 8, he has been suffering since he was 4. He goes for long periods of time with out them but when they do come back they come back with a vengence. He has had one every Thursday for the last Month. I believe they are associated with him growing because he has bad growing pains in his legs as well. He vomits sees spots, his eyes become blood shot and nothing, I mean nothing I do helps him. He has tried oodles of medications over the years and nothing relieves his pain it just has to go away by itself which can take hours and sometimes days. Can anyone offer me some advice or suggestions? I would be very appreciative. I can't take it anymore to see him suffering. He askes me just to cut his headoff and that is seriouse to me. Please help me help him. Thank you a very worried Mommy!

armyof6

Back to top Go down

Re: Does any one have experience with a childhood migraines?

Post  LG on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm so sorry, I don't have any experience with childhood migraines but I hope you get some helpful information if not here but somewhere. I wish you and your son tons of luck.

Within reading a lot about this disease I have come across many testimonials of boys suffering of migraines in their early youth and the migraines dying down in their late teens and early twenties. I certainly hope that this happens for your son, if not much sooner!

I will be thinking of you both. I love you
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  armyof6 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words.

armyof6

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 pm

Make sure that your son is adequately hydrated. Weigh your son. Take the number of pounds that he weighs and call them ounces. That is the absolute minimum number of ounces of pure water that he should be drinking each day (more would be better). Other liquids do not count; because they use up more water than they contain, during digestion; or they are diuretics.

From childhood on, my number one headache trigger has been (and still is) dehydration.

Also make sure that he gets sufficent electrolytes, and other minerals like magnesium and calcium.

Last edited by Mule Kick on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer correction)
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 am

I'm sorry you're son is suffering so.

If it helps any, I often utter that it would just be easier to cut my head off and I'm still hoping for a head transplant.

My youngest son suffered from migraines from about 5 years of age. What helped him most was to vomit and then go to sleep. It's so hard watching them go through this though. He tried preventatives, but the side-effects were too much for him to deal with.

One thing my son always liked, after he vomited and slept a couple of hours, was a milk shake (fruit, milk and a little pudding mix mixed in a blender). I think the hydration helped as well as the nutrients.

Hang in there. I know it's difficult.

Becky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:06 am

I hope as well that he grows out of them.

I unfortunately have to give the another side of the story as well though. I am a male and have had migraines since I was 6 years old. I am now 33 and still have them. They would be just as frequent, but I have found ways to manage them better as I have grown older. But highschool was an absolute nightmare for me. I literally get a tear in my eye if I think back on all the things I missed out on because of migraines. And unfortunately, a lot of the methods I use to deal with them now just wouldn't have worked when I was in school all day, 5 days a week.

My one suggestion is to make sure people at his schools are educated about migraines. It was bad enough going through them, but dealing with the ignorance of my teachers and administration through school was a whole other problem I didn't need.

tdu

Back to top Go down

childhood M

Post  rileyoday on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 am

I had M from ages 10-12. about 6 each year. Vomit made me feel better. Cool quite room.

My M returned when 39 and developed into 4-5 week within 18 months. I had all the tests and preventives.

I have used clonidine for 100 days with only 2 M and 5 headaches.

when I took triptans I found Maxalt to be the most gentle, but the M would return.. I hope your son grows

out of them soon.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Childhood migraines

Post  alli on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:23 am

Both my children had childhood migraines. My son when he was 12 and my daughter since she was 8.

Chris grew out of them by the time he was 19 or so, but Sarah still gets them (she's 21). When she was younger, hydration was key to preventing any attacks that we could. Excercise at an altitude was sure to bring on an attack so keep an eye on that when vacationing. We used a variety of preventatives, but puberty and all the assorted hormonal changes was hell. She ended up doing her last 2 1/2 years of High School in independent study.

Make sure his teachers know he has a neurological disease so that they treat him approprately and don't accuse him of slacking or pretending. We ran into this and it was extrememly annoying and hurtful.

I hope you can find a preventative that works and get a handle on them. Migraines are horrible and when your children are suffering, it breaks your heart.

Alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:39 pm

alli wrote:Both my children had childhood migraines. My son when he was 12 and my daughter since she was 8.

Chris grew out of them by the time he was 19 or so, but Sarah still gets them (she's 21). When she was younger, hydration was key to preventing any attacks that we could. Excercise at an altitude was sure to bring on an attack so keep an eye on that when vacationing. We used a variety of preventatives, but puberty and all the assorted hormonal changes was hell. She ended up doing her last 2 1/2 years of High School in independent study.

Make sure his teachers know he has a neurological disease so that they treat him approprately and don't accuse him of slacking or pretending. We ran into this and it was extrememly annoying and hurtful.

I hope you can find a preventative that works and get a handle on them. Migraines are horrible and when your children are suffering, it breaks your heart.

Alli

Ya dealing with that in school made made an already extremely stressful situation for me even worse.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Stillhurtin on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:43 pm

Your post made me cry. I can't imagine a lil guy going through this Sad
I have uttered those very words... As an adult... To my husband... " please just chop off my head!!!" Sad Sad

I wish I had something to offer you..... Other than my support and warm thoughts. I have 2lil boys age 3 and 6 and I can't imagine..... I sometimes worry about my youngest. It is while pregnant with him that I got my first BAD migraine and they became chronic shortly after he was born. Ironically, he seems to have a lot of photophobia and and when the sun is very bright he says " it's burnng thru my eyes and making my head hurt"

I HOPE this is random and unrelated, bc I think watching one of my kids go thru a full blown M attack would make me......... Wanna chop my head off!!!!!!! Sad

you will be int thoughts. Please stick around!! We have a couple of others mothers on this sight and they are amazing women!!!! I bet you will find much support intalking with them.

Wishing you the best!
Stillhurtin

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:00 am

I'm sorry for you too. My son has had them since he was seven or eight - maybe earlier. He is now 16 and has a migraine every day. NOTHING he takes helps him - and we have tried tons of preventive drugs and abortive medicines. Nothing touches the headache - he also just waits them out, which means hours a day. We've seen so many doctors.

I am very frustrated to say the least. He cannot go to school - I home school him, but that is even hard to fit in. We are going to start acupuncture next Thurs. - again - this time our insurance should cover some of it because it is with a medical doctor. All we can do is hope. I wish I could give some good advice....but we are still looking for an answer as well.
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 pm

ajr wrote:I'm sorry for you too. My son has had them since he was seven or eight - maybe earlier. He is now 16 and has a migraine every day. NOTHING he takes helps him - and we have tried tons of preventive drugs and abortive medicines. Nothing touches the headache - he also just waits them out, which means hours a day. We've seen so many doctors.

I am very frustrated to say the least. He cannot go to school - I home school him, but that is even hard to fit in. We are going to start acupuncture next Thurs. - again - this time our insurance should cover some of it because it is with a medical doctor. All we can do is hope. I wish I could give some good advice....but we are still looking for an answer as well.

Acupuncture was the one thing that actually gave me some relief when I was in highschool. Unfortunately, like a lot of other treatments it seemed to lose effectiveness after time. But I got almost a years relief from it when I was in grade 11, which was a massive help. I was able to improve my attendance, and raise my grades. So it's definitely worth trying in my opinion. Good luck.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top