migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

you know you're from virginia

+3
CluelessKitty
LG
30yrsofheadache
7 posters

Go down

you know you're from virginia Empty you know you're from virginia

Post  30yrsofheadache Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:31 pm

You Know You're From Virginia When...

Speed limits are just suggestions

You have at least two friends who have no idea what their relatives do...because its "top secret" government work

Most of your senior class wend to Mason, JMU, Tech, VCU or UVA

When people ask where you're from, you tell them DC because its easier to explain

You've never told someone you're from Virginia without putting "northern," "central," or "southern" in front of it (See above.)

It's not actually tailgating unless your bumper is touching the car in front of you.

You know yellow light means at least 5 more cars can get through. (Yeah, man...at least. Probably also happens everywhere else.) A red light means 2 more can.

You actually know what the black boxes at stoplights are for.

Despite the fact that Virginia fought for the south in the Civil War, you are not, under any circumstances, a "southerner"

You are amused by visiting relatives who are actually excited to see Washington, DC

You took a field trip to Williamsburg as a kid

You are amazed when you go out of town and the people at McDonalds speak English

You or someone in your family has a Smart Tag

An inch of snow and you miss 3 days of school

All the potholes just add a little excitement to your driving experience

Crown Victoria = undercover cop

Subway is a fast food place. The transportation system is known as Metro, and only Metro.

They just tore down the old farm house across the street and put 12 new McMansions in its place

For the cost of your house, you could own a small town in Iowa

If you stay on the same road long enough, it will eventually have three new names.

You have to dial the area code to call your neighbor

"Vacation" means spending a day at King's Dominion or Busch Gardens.

"Going to the River" means any stream with water.

You have never been served tea without the waitress asking "sweet or unsweetened?"

Your favorite past time is telling West Virginia jokes.

Anyone who can't trace his or her ancestry back to at least four generations in Virginia is an outsider.

"Going to the beach" means anywhere from Ocean City to Virginia Beach to Myrtle Beach.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Virginia.
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

you know you're from virginia Empty Re: you know you're from virginia

Post  LG Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:25 pm

oh man..what are the black boxes at stoplights?
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 pm

ROTFMAO

You know yellow light means at least 5 more cars can get through. (Yeah, man...at least. Probably also happens everywhere else.) A red light means 2 more can.

Really? here in Vancouver and surrounds you can get a ticket for trying to get through on yellow light.
On red everyone properly stops! except for those who didn't make it at left turn.

You actually know what the black boxes at stoplights are for.

No!? what IS it for ????

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

HAHA!!! I have no idea what the black box is. Does that mean I'm not from Virginia? I have lived here most of my 50 years, which is quite unusual. Risa, sadly the light running is true. We are allowed to go through on yellow as long as you get all the way through before it turns red. The traffic is so awful here that people get impatient (road rage was born here) and push the limits. I am terrified of Zoe driving here.My older daughter has had 2 fender benders already.
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:04 pm

yeah the yellow or amber as it is called in the uk is a tricky one, most people just see it as an extension of the green light which means if i put my foot down, i can get through!!

and the speed limit signs are taken as a personal challenge!!
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Oh man don't even get me started on Long Island. Here, stop signs are merely signs saying please slow down, look then go. Red lights are only red 2 seconds after they turn red, and yellow means speed up 15mph more to make it. 55mph speed limit means you can actually pass a cop going 70mph without getting ticketed, 30mph is 45mph. The average speed on the Long Island Expressway since the sherrifs took over patrol is 75mph. That means if you are driving in the middle lane going 70mph, you see cars to the left going 85 and cars to the right going 65. It's absolutely INSANE!

I am so cautious driving here. I can't tell you how many times I have almost been hit by people blowing red lights way after they have turned red, or people blowing stop signs that are one way. I look all over now whenever I pass any sort of intersection because people simply don't know how to drive.

I have the worst road rage. Before my daughter, I actually would get into FIGHTS with people on the road. Once with an overweight black woman, another time with a rich white girl driving WAY too fast..cut me off, nearly killed me. Another time with a girl who blew a yeild sign and I followed her home (she was a neighbor) because she gave me the finger. Yes, I admit..I am insane, but you know what..I take my life behind the wheel really serious.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

I think this post ought to entitled "Northern VA" ... I was born in Richmond, Capitol of the Confederacy, and went to kindergarten thru 7yh grade in Waynesboro in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. What a great place to grow up. High School was in SC. but this is defintely a Northern Virginia list in many ways. From Richmond, the Yankee Capitol of DC may as well bea million miles away for all the influence it has in Richmond.

And yes, I am a Virtginnian still in many ways. I actually do know the family stories going back generation after generation. I can the language any time I desire - the Southern accent is mother's milk. I was actually taught as a boy that I was a family member first, a Virginian second, a Southerner third, and only then an American. I got punished severely for rooting for the guy beating up my brother after my brother spit on him for no reason. My Mom and Dad said they did not care WHAT a member of the family did ... I was ALWAYS on the side of family. thinking back, I agree with them ... I think. though it is unthinkable for my brother to spit on anyon ever again.

Thanks for the memories of the South.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  CluelessKitty Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Ahh thanks Smile

So the mystery of the black boxes remains Suspect
perhaps those are simply video cameras, in case of accidents?
and could somebody PLEASE explain to me where exactly lies WASHINGTON DC - is more on the Virginia side or Maryland, the other or where ?????

Risa
CluelessKitty
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi, Richard. Yeah, in some places, this has been tiltled "Northern VA". Richmond has changed a little, though. Have you been back to visit lately? My daughters best friend (one I think of as an adopted daughter) goes to VCU. She has been mugged twice, once at knifepoint. True, she does tend to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but still..

I'm sure Waynesboro is still very nice.I love the Shanandoah Valley. By the way, I do think of myself as a Southern Gal! I went to college in Buena Vista, near Lexington. Very beautiful and peaceful. I am trying to get Zoe to look at Washington and Lee, but so far no luck! You are missing the snowiest year ever in VA, I think. We are expecting 1-2 feet tomorrow. And yes, the schools are already closed. Then again, after Alaska, maybe that doesnt sound like a lot of snow?
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryAnneLive Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the lovely list. I spent my first 20 years in NOVA. I also went to college at VCU. I hear you all are just getting more snow than I have here in Colorado!!
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 am

They keep upping the expected amount. right now it is 20-30 inches. I am only 4 ft. 11, so that freaks me out! I told my husband he will have to dig me a tunnel. Not sure how we will walk the dogs (Golden Retrievers). We already had 5 inches on the ground to start . I am very worried about the orphan kitties I take care of. I pray the power doesnt go out. One is 17, the other is 14. They are all alone in a 4 bedroom house.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 pm

And what's a Smart Tag?

In Illinois it's legal to go through a yellow as long as you break the plane of the intersection on ENTERING the intersection before it turns red. It's okay if you're caught in the middle on the red. I believe the Green lights are timed not to turn on simultaneoulsy as the red to allow for that.

So, a yellow means GUN IT! affraid

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:19 am

A Smart Tag is a pass that gets you through a toll or parking area without stopping.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum