Ketogenic Diet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ketogenic Diet

Post  Jeff2014 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

How have people fared on ketogenic diets? Has it decreased pain? Improved energy? I have NDPH. How long does it take to work? Thanks!!! Basketball

Jeff2014

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Post  Seaine on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:53 am

Hi, I have tried the ketogenic diet and it has significantly decreased my migraines.

Basically, you have to eat almost no sugar or complex carbs. Stick to high fat foods and foods that have no carbs. Most meats and veggies are good (except starchy ones like corn or potatoes). Most fruits have too many carbs but there are some you can eat. You CAN eat a few carbs if they also have high fiber. You can't really eat many processed or snack foods because they usually have carbs. For breakfast I would eat things like blueberries with heavy cream, lunch could be a high fiber/low carb tortilla with fillings, etc.

My migraines were decreased in frequency from daily to about one every three days or so. Honestly, most of the migraines I do get are probably a result of me not sticking to the diet as well as I should. The results are really amazing. If I remember correctly the results were seen within a week.

The cons are that it's very hard to do this diet because of the foods we are normally used to eating. You have to change everything. I switched from drinking milk to unsweetened coconut milk (very good), can't drink any sodas, can only have tea or coffee with no sugar/milk added. Also, I had an issue with some vitamin deficiencies because most of the vitamins I got were from eating cereals which you can't do on ketogenic. So you have to take vitamins. It seems that I am still ok if I eat something with SOME sugar in it but also a lot of fat, such as whole milk ice cream once in awhile.

When I do really well on the ketogenic diet, I notice that if I eat too many sugars or carbs when I pee it smells sweet. This is because my body is in a ketogenic mode and instead of using the glucose in my blood from eating sugar, it's expelling it in my urine. If I continue to eat too many carbs this goes away because my body goes back to using the glucose and then my migraines increase.

I did also lose a few pounds, 4% of my total body weight. As far as energy, it seemed to increase my brain power and reduce brain fog although that could be due to more of the reduction in migraines rather than the actual diet.
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Hi

Post  Jeff2014 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Seaine,

Thanks for the info!!!

Jeff Basketball

Jeff2014

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:32 pm

New reports show Ketogenic diet highly effective. But it does not work on cervocogenic migraines.
It seems like it would be very hard to stay in this kind of diet. What are people's experiences?

https://www.researchgate.net/blog/post/less-carbs-more-fat-ketogenic-diet-treats-migraine-patients
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Get used to eating salads every time you go out to eat. Laughing
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:29 am

lol Seaine. Or fried eggs and bacon.
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Or steak and green beans.. I guess it might not be so bad after all!
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top