migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction

3 posters

Go down

Introduction Empty Introduction

Post  PatS Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:53 pm

I am a 65 year old female who has had migraines since I was 46 years old. My Mom had debilitating migraines. I can function, but it is not fun. I was pre- menopausal when I had my first migraine, so they are probably horemonal. When I was first diagnosed I had an MRI, ruling out a brain tumor. I have seen the same Neurologist for nineteen years. I haven't been able to identify any triggers. The migraines are becoming more frequent- about 10 per month. I treat them with Amerge, which knocks out the headache in an hour.
No aura. No intolerance of smells.
I have had every triptan know to mankind- starting with Imitrex. I tried the antidepressant and the allergy pills- no change.
I can feel a headache coming on with a tightness in my neck- then the icepick in my eye.
The migraine usually starts around 1:00 AM. The nights that I don't have a migraine, I am still wide awake at 1:00 AM- out of habit. I occasionally get them during the day.
I also have CLL- chronic lymphocytic Leukemia.
I have tinnitus- which is probably related to migraines.
My Mom died of Alzheimers Disease. I am worried that it might somehow be connected to migraines.
Should I be doing anything else? I am open to suggestions!
Thanks for listening,
PatS
Los Angeles

PatS

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty Re: Introduction

Post  dcook60 Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:52 am

the only thing i'd have to suggest would be to change neurologists! this one has likely run out of ideas; they all do after varying amounts of time.

i'm sure he/she has been very good to you, but maybe you need some different brain cells working on the puzzle.

it's great that amerge works for you! it works for me, too, and i have been blessed/cursed with this disease since age 29. now 75 and still working, still kicking along, even with daily pain and daily triptans. maxalt also works for me, but less well as time goes on.

i find it interesting that many of us have the pain hit a certain times of day or night. mine has always been 4 a.m., but any old time will do, if i'm exposed to chemicalized food, or perfumes, or smoke, etc. are you sure these don't affect you? MSG is a huge deal in food these days, and it goes by at least 40 other names, so the food processors can sneak it in.

we're glad you found us here. it's a great bunch. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Introduction Empty introduction

Post  PatS Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 am

Thanks Diane!
I have thought about switching neurologists. I live in Los Angeles. UCLA has a migraine clinic- you have to be referred to get into it. My neurologist has never recommended botox or Marijuana.
Do you take Amerge every day? That is expensive!
Pat

PatS

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

i alternate amerge with maxalt.  i get some (not enough) maxalts free from the company because of my low income, and i found ONE generic maxalt that sort-of works.

amerge is outrageously expensive, and i have tried every single company that makes generics.  none of them work.  i even ordered some from canada, which were supposedly brand-name but were made in turkey and did nothing.

i have to work forever, in order to pay for my drugs!  i used to get my drugs subsidized by medicare part D, but now that i got a tiny raise, i'm dumped off that plan and have to pay the huge cost myself.  some of my 5 children will help me if i just can't do it.

btw, i've tried everything out there, including several rounds of botox.  still waiting to take my pot script to the marijuana store.  my neuro says it's worth a try.  i have never ever tried it, or any psychedelic, so i want to try the kind with zero THC.  i guess there is such a thing.  i have to travel to the other side of town soon for advice on that.......pot is now in-limbo "legal" in WA, but of course still not legal federally.

i will let people know if it does anything good for me!  good luck to you.  dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Pat. Welcome to the forum!

I too started getting them at 46. Now at 54, they are still here although I have tried pretty much everything.
It is great that the Amerge works so well for you. Mine last 48 hours. If I am really lucky, the Maxalt might reduce to 24 hours, but that is not very often.

In terms of additional help:

1) it is worth trying Botox if you have not. It helps many people (but not me unfortunately). Look on the Botox company web site and there is a list of doctors who are trained in its use for migraines. You want to go to one of them because it's very particular how it's injected for migraine.

2) Cefaly is working well for many of us in reducing frequency and duration of attacks. You can check out this device on line as well. It has to be ordered from overseas and requires a prescription, but my doctor wrote me one when I asked him to.

3) it is interesting that you have not found any triggers. I know this is difficult when you feel like you have them, so often. Have you kept a food journal? Many of the triggers turn out to be additives ( nitrates, food dyes, etc...) so it's hard to put together with out keeping detailed records for a while.

4) have you tried magnesium, B2, or natural progesterone? I got a significant reduction in my migraines (from 80% to 20%) with natural supplements.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  PatS Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:49 am

I have tried B2 and Magnesium. Didn't notice any improvement. I am going to research cefaly- that is something new for me.
Like most people when you age, migraines are only one bump in the road. I hesitate to add any more vitamins/pills into the mix.
For my mom, her migraines magically stopped at age 70. Then the alzheimers started.
I appreciate the responses. It is helpful to talk to people who are in the same boat.
Pat Stanton

PatS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down