migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything?

3 posters

Go down

I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything? Empty I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything?

Post  myheadhurts Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:17 am

Hi all
Trev here based in Bristol UK and a lifetime sufferer of classic migraine with aura...Now at 59 my doctor finally recommended that I try Topirmate (topamax) I have not had an attack for 4+ weeks but am beginning to see some "flashes"  in my peripheral vision which to me is a sign that a migraine will be with me in the near future. Would it help if I increased my dose?
myheadhurts
myheadhurts

http://www.zonacrypt.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything? Empty Re: I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything?

Post  Sara79 Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Be careful with dose increases, the side effects can really act up with rapid increases in dosage. I'd call your doctor's on call provider

Sara79

Back to top Go down

I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything? Empty Re: I can tell when a migraine is imminent...but can I do anything?

Post  Mini Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:12 pm

I agree, Topiramate can have nasty side effects, so be careful and increase only slowly according with your neurologist's advice.
It seems that the current dose has been working for you already since you did not get any M for 4 weeks, congratulations this is a good result.

The strange sensation you experience might be so called "silent migraine".
I get them sometime, I feel like M is about to start, but apart from funny visual sensations;-aura, disorientation, irritability etc I am spared any pain. This is good enough, for me.

I would not worry about increasing the dose, unless you actually get M, because indeed Topiramate can have nasty side effects, so if you can avoid them it is best to wait and see.
BTW I am also in UK, welcome to our forum.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  myheadhurts Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies and hi to Mini from the UK Smile It's a good time to give an update and quite a bit has happened in the last few weeks. My GP referred me to a neurologist and she decided that I should have an MRI scan to rule out the possibility for future strokes. The results came back today it would appear I have "no acute infract ie no stroke" However the letter informs me that I have mild to moderate hardening of the arteries which is within normal findings....I suppose approaching 60 I must accept the fact that my body parts are not quite as good as they were when I was 20!!

Also the good news is I am now 7+ weeks migraine free ie since being on the topiramate 25ml. I have noticed some side effects, a slight tingling at times in my fingers, slight loss of appetite,dizziness, and although no migraine headaches now experience a "dull" head at times (but much more preferable to an actual migraine attack) I plan to visit my doctor soon to discuss this progress, I hope it continues, and that my body will not get used to the topiramate and the migraines will return.....but so far so good Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
myheadhurts
myheadhurts

http://www.zonacrypt.blogspot.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down