migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ondansetron has anyone taken it?

+3
LG
Paradox
dizzyflower
7 posters

Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty Ondansetron has anyone taken it?

Post  dizzyflower Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 am

Could anyone tell me if Ondansetron helped with migraine?

many thanks

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty Re: Ondansetron has anyone taken it?

Post  Paradox Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 am

I just started taking it last week for nausea (also called Zofran).

"This medication is used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy or after surgery. It works by blocking the hormone (serotonin) that causes vomiting."

I was disappointed because I had asked my neuro to call in the Zofran meltaways but he called in the tablets instead. I've taken it twice and seems to do a good job with the vomiting. I'm just not sure how it's gonna work when I'm ALREADY vomiting and if I'll be able to keep it down.

Is it supposed to do something to help the M also?

Charlotte
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  LG Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 pm

Oh man the meltaways work like magic. They are the best things created known to man. I will swear up and down to the makers of that godsend. Those little things helped keep my daughter a healthy weight because I had severe morning sickness throughout my pregnancy. I still use them occasionally for nausea during migraines, but I don't usually need them too much. They work for any type of nausea though, and they work very very fast.

Out of all the medication I have tried, I have to say it is probably my favorite. It is the most effective for what it says it is supposted to do.
LG
LG

Back to top Go down

Post  theresae Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:45 am

hi it is used on the hospital ward that i work on for nausea after surgery, it is one of the better ones, and is more costly than alot of the others, and therefore is used when other cheaper anti- emetics dont work,
theresae
theresae

Back to top Go down

Post  Brain Pain Mom Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 am

My daughter has been taking it since June and it is designed to treat nausea. This is the first time I have heard of it being used in the treatment of Ms.

My daughter doesn't feel that it helps with her nausea, but I know of many that it does help. Everyone responds a little differently to every drug, so make sure that you don't rule out a drug until you try it yourself!

You never know which will be helpful to you.
Brain Pain Mom
Brain Pain Mom

Back to top Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty Zofran

Post  tortoisegirl Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 pm

This is the best nausea medication for me. I highly recommend the melting ones too. It also will sometimes help with my pain because either reducing the nausea will bring the pain down, or reducing the nausea will help the meds work on the head pain. If you are very sensitive to aspartame beware that the melting ones have it. I am sensitive to aspartame but the med doesn't seem to bother me (I can't eat foods or have drinks with aspartame without getting a migraine).

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty thanks for the encouraging replies

Post  dizzyflower Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:43 am

has it made anyone's tummy bad though? Not sure wether to blame Ondansetron or something else.

thanks Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:16 pm

What do you mean made your tummy bad? Upset it? It is a nausea med and should calm the stomach. Some people of course won't get relief from it and should try something else.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty aparently a tummy bug

Post  dizzyflower Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:41 am

Just as I started the meds there was a two day tummy bug going round the village giving false results. Am OK now, but actually still suffering badly from the nausea in the evenings. I thought that it was supposed to last all day. I am taking it in the evening so that the nausea doesn't keep waking me up. When does everyone else take it?

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:31 am

Mine is prescribed to take PNR for migraine nausea, so I just take it if the M is giving me tummy issues. Also, what strength are you on? My neuro gave me 4mg, but when visiting my PCP for refills of other meds, he said that that is the pediatric dose, and gave me 8mg, which I can take every 8 hours if needed. Just don't go over 24mg in 24 hours.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty Ondansetron

Post  dizzyflower Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 am

Thanks Sarah

I have been given 4mg which might be why it runs out by the evening. I get a better sleep if I take it before bed, but could do with one extra to keep up the dose at this quantity. It is only a ten day experiment anyway. I am a bit confused about what else I am able to take when taking it to be honest.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Ondansetron has anyone taken it? Empty sorry I put a h on Sara

Post  dizzyflower Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 am

regards

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara79 Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:24 am

no biggie, it happen all the time.

Sara79

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum