Nicotine prevents migraine??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nicotine prevents migraine??

Post  suz7 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:48 pm

I have suffered for 30 plus years with migraine. They are almost daily now. I have seen many neuros and tried dozens of medications to no avail. The pain I can only compare to childbirth, with the migraines being far worse!

I suffer from many food allergies and celiac disease. Despite a strict diet I have seen no improvement in my Ms. I was very hopeful after the celiac diagnosis but it has not changed my M frequency or pain at all.

My husband has recently quit smoking. Yeah! He has turned to e cigs for his nicotine fix. Boo! I have never smoked but recently tried his e cig on a whim (he was begging me to try the "great" flavors).

My migraine eased significantly after about three puffs on this thing. I tried it the next time an M was starting and, again, it eased greatly. I have continued this trend for about one week. If I smoke this e cig thing a few times a day my Ms are noticeably reduced. Unfortunately, it's not great for my allergies. I notice an increase in congestion and shortness of breath.

I am trying the lowest nicotine level to see if the Ms will stay away and the other negative side effects will go away. The improvement in my M makes it worth the other symptoms. My pain was awful.

This may be a fluke. I don't know because it's only been a week. Has anyone heard of this before? Right now I'm enjoying being out of bed and with my family. I am at least able to function!

I'm interested in others opinions or thoughts. Thanks!

suz7

Back to top Go down

Re: Nicotine prevents migraine??

Post  Mini on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Amazing if it is true. I have found that even the slightest whiff of a cigarette smoke, or just a slightest smell of cigarettes on the curtains or furnishings is enough to trigger bad migraine for me.
It is the worst trigger of all. IT might be a fluke, I had some similar coincidences in the past, but if its is not, I am glad that something works for you. I hope it does.
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassiej on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 pm

It just goes to show we are all unique. My 45+ years of Ms have been greatly reduced as long as I stay on a low carb diet. doesn't work for everyone. Works for me. The E-cigarette works for you and I know it's a blessing. I don't think it would work for me because I also feel my head vibrate from passing a smoker in the grocery aisle. But, I do believe it will work for you because you are proving it works. Even if my low carb diet is my brain reacting to a placebo effect - I don't care. I'll bet you don't care either what works as long as it works. Keep posting about your results as it may help someone else.

Cassiej

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:50 pm

I have never tried E-cigs or cigs but I have noticed in the past that second-hand smoke can cause my migraine to disappear like magic.
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:37 am

Extremely interesting! I had never thought of nicotine before while searching out which things might cause vasoconstriction and therefore imitate to some extent, the effects of triptan drugs. This is so interesting to me that I may consider experimenting with the lowest dose nicotine patches. I just zipped a note out to a research MD that I know to ask his opinion. Will let you all know what he says.
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  suz7 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:22 am

Well... I'm down with a bad M today! Meds and e cig are not helping. Sigh. I'm still hopeful and very interested in what your research MD says about nicotine and vaso restriction.

I realize how desperate I am to consider e cigs. Good grief! I think the patch might be a better option to eliminate my allergy type symptoms from the e cig.

Cigarette smoke is also a huge trigger for me. Interesting. I think, for me, it must be the other chemicals in regular cigarette smoke and not the nicotine since the e cig did not cause an M. Even the smoke off of the e cigs does not affect me when others are "vaporing" near me.

We are all so desperate! Thanks for the support.

suz7

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Do the e cigs smell like cigarette smoke? I think it is the smell that causes many of us problems. If the electronic version does not produce an odor, then it would seem not to be a problem. It's not the nicotine itself that gives us a migraine when we react to second hand smoke.
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 on Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Haven't heard back from the doc yet but he is a pretty busy man. Hopefully by Monday. I should also mention that he was the doctor in charge of safety testing for Imitrex at Glaxo before it was approved by the FDA. He is also a fellow migraine suffer but not to the extent that many of us are.
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:53 am

Still haven't heard back from the doctor..maybe my email landed in his spam box or maybe he saw the subject just said nicotine patches and thought it was an advertisement? Don't know but I did find this old thread elsewhere on the net and it seems that the nicotine patches or the gum does help some with migraine. It may be worth a try and if the gum has a lower dose than the lowest patch dose, it will be the thing I most likely will try. My doctor still hasn't approved Cefaly for me and I may have to go a different direction at least till next spring when I see her again.

http://migrainechickie.blogspot.com/2007/06/nicotine-and-migraines.html
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:32 pm

I haven't heard back from the doctor so it either landed in his spam or he thought I was suggesting something silly. In any case I did ask the pharmacist and he thought it might work and ordered some 2mg lozenges for me. He agreed that such a low dose would not hurt me.
Kem10

Back to top Go down

RE: Nicotine prevents migraine??

Post  Cindy*W on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:51 pm

I quit smoking a little over a year ago using an e cig.

Started at 18mg nicotine and now down to 3mg and almost ready to go to 0mg.

Hopefully my Migs don't get worse going to no Nicotine.

I love vaping.  The flavors are wonderful and I am so greatful to be a non smoker.

Vaping is totally different than cigarettes.

There is no smoke, it is simply water vapor that is produced.

Most e juices are PG(Propylene Glycol), VG(Vegetable Glycerine), natural flavors(the ones I use), and some have artificial sweetner.

There is very little odor with e cigs and obviously none of the cancer causing agents you get with cigarettes.

When I started, I studied everything I could find about ecigs, joined a support forum and knew an ecig inside and out before I decided what setup to buy.

They have their flaws, but are saving the lives of many.

Hopefully I am going to be able to make the transition to 0mg nicotine with no problems.  I will let you know!

Cindy
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum