migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-emetic + analgesic effect

3 posters

Go down

Anti-emetic + analgesic effect Empty Anti-emetic + analgesic effect

Post  Mini Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 am

"Giving an anti-emetic a few minutes before the analgesic can improve gastric motility and enhance absorption (even in the absence of nausea and vomiting) eg metoclopramide or domperidone. Prochlorperazine or domperidone suppositories are useful if vomiting has commenced".

I found this useful gem of an information when I came across medical Formulary instructions, as advised by the NHS for the GP practices in UK. I found the information very instructive. I know that there are not many UK members here, but the listings in this comprehensive  Formulary are a very useful checking point for a variety of medicines  prescribed today.
This also gives  better idea about the NHS prescribing policy in case I have any issues about any new medication prescribed by my GP.

This instruction covers all kinds of medicines, but naturally I have been most interested in reading about the Migraine and the  painkillers prescribing policy in general:
http://leicestershire.formulary.co.uk/chaptersSubDetails.asp?FormularySectionID=4&SubSectionRef=04.07&SubSectionID=A100

The above is the link to the full list of prescribing advice, if you wish to read more on the subject,or look at specific medications for other conditions.Although, as far as I am concerned I  still find that good old  sumatriptan is still working well for me it is  always useful to be able to check what else is available, just in case.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Anti-emetic + analgesic effect Empty Re: Anti-emetic + analgesic effect

Post  Kem10 Sat May 24, 2014 6:44 am

This is interesting information. I wonder if over the counter anti emetics would work well with sumatriptin. As of now cutting the sumatriptin tabs in half as Seaine suggested is working well but it might be useful to have something like Bonine on hand to give it a boost.
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 pm

I am not familiar with medicine you mention (Bonine), but I found that generally everything we do in terms of medicines, or medicines combinations is in the end a trial and error because each one of us reacts differently.
If you have already tried both medicines separately I am sure you can try them together in the way described above, especially when your head is especially bad and you need extra help.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Kem10 Sat May 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Oh yes combinations of medications have almost certainly been tried by each one of us over the years in desperation at times.  Smile 
Kem10
Kem10

Back to top Go down

Anti-emetic + analgesic effect Empty re: Anti-emetic & Analgesic effect

Post  Cindy*W Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 pm

This does work.

I have taken Hydroxyzine like that for years.

Also when I get shots, I always get a big shot of Vistaril with the pain killer and it works much better.

Cindy
Cindy*W
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down