Topamax + eye crossing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Topamax + eye crossing

Post  LCanham on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi all, new to the forum. I've dealt with migraines for about 6 years now, and they've gone from manageable to absolutely debilitating. I feel as if I've run the gamut with treatments: I tried Maxalt (made no difference), Imitrex (the side effects were worse than the migraine), Amerge (doesn't even begin to touch it), the chiropractor, changing my diet, cutting common triggers out, and a myriad of other things.

Finally, after much frustration and a near constant state of migraine, my doctor decides to put me on Topamax. At first I had the usual symptoms...hand, foot, and face tingles, inability to perceive carbonation in soda, etc. I was migraine-free for almost a week! One morning, I woke up and looked in the mirror - something wasn't right. My vision was blurred, and my right eye felt funny. The closer I looked, I realized...my right eye had gone crossed! It was turned all the way toward my nose and my left eye was normal. I hurried to the doctor, who told me that the Topamax had given me a little brain irritation, causing my eye to cross.

Well, here's the kicker - I've been off the drug for darn near two months, and still, the eye gets weird. It's back to normal most days, but during a really bad migraine it goes crossed again. My vision changes, and out of my right eye I see ink blotches and my peripheral vision is severely limited by a gray haze. I'm visiting the neurologist in a week to get everything checked out.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
LCanham

Back to top Go down

Re: Topamax + eye crossing

Post  tortoisegirl on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Welcome! No, I haven't had that happen. So sorry you are having to deal with that on top of the migraines. Hope you get some answers soon. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top